I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
We had a medal today and i played pretty well, I was frustrated for the first half dozen or so holes as I was hitting the ball really well but 5 times I was I was just off the green but failed to get up and down, I finished the front 9 5 over.
On the back I did miss a short putt after a good chip and also went through the green into water on the 17th (stopped me having a round with nothing worse than a 5 on) despite those hiccups was just 3 over for the back so 8 over all told and 2 better than my handicap.
This will be my last round before the new course ratings/slope come into effect, so I expect my handicap after today will be as low as it will ever get.
Well played. Re the change, think about all the away courses you play, and how you'll soon be ripping them up, guilt free! ??

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
And......there goes the worst round of the year by some margin....
19 over par....
Couldn't hit an iron, couldn't buy a putt, lost a ball in 2 inch rough.......
Looking on the bright side..if it gets any worse I'll have a few quid to spare after I've sold my kit.......

Don’t pack it in yet, let me wup yer butt first
And if anyone speed reads that as “wipe” then get down to specsavers ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Round 4 of the Club Championship (summer matchplay knockout). Oppo giving me one shot. We both played pretty well. All square after 6 and me just one up after nine. Then I had a good spell to get to dormie 5. Cracked it I thought. But he had other ideas. But I eventually won by one hole on the last with a knee knocking three footer to halve the hole. Phew.

But a bizarre scenario on the 13th. He was well wide (on the practice area, but in bounds) and was attempting a pitch back onto the fairway. He hit a not great shot which was going to land about a yard off the fairway, on the first cut, about 25yds in front of me. It came down and just disappeared. No bounce, nothing. I could pinpoint to where it came down to an area no bigger than 2 yard square and the grass no longer than an inch high. But ball just disappeared never to be seen again. Can only surmise it fell directly into a dry weather crack in the ground.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another gamecat Nairn Dunbar this morning, drove it well, but irons were poor, scored ok as I chipped and putted well. Only well struck iron was a 5 iron from 220 on 18, its just a shame it went 240 and almost oob?. Struggling with stiffness all the way round, legs very tight. Downside to spending all day on the roof yesterday painting waterproofing gunk on a bit of flat roof.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Better today....but not much..
Struck the ball better but made too many silly mistakes
At least I broke 30 points..
Medal at the weekend...could need an ambulance :oops:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played Cleeve Hill today with another vintage golf enthusiast, a game that was delayed from Covid times.

We both decided to carry and just took short sets, I had 9 clubs, and thank goodness I only had the 9, plus a kg of water....
Walking off the first green my bag strap snapped!
I tried making another hole in the leather but half way up the second it snapped again, the leather was just too dry.

So I ended up having to carry the bag up and down the hills for the rest of the round using the grab handle, my arms must have been 3 inches longer by the time we finished and I was knackered by the end! I can't remember when a beer tasted so good.

It was a strange day weather-wise, nice and warm (too warm when you're lugging your bag!) but barely a breath of wind.

Score was patchy but the views were amazing.

1659127083783.png

1659127435271.png

D

Deleted member 3432

Played Cleeve Hill today with another vintage golf enthusiast, a game that was delayed from Covid times.

We both decided to carry and just took short sets, I had 9 clubs, and thank goodness I only had the 9, plus a kg of water....
Walking off the first green my bag strap snapped!
I tried making another hole in the leather but half way up the second it snapped again, the leather was just too dry.

So I ended up having to carry the bag up and down the hills for the rest of the round using the grab handle, my arms must have been 3 inches longer by the time we finished and I was knackered by the end! I can't remember when a beer tasted so good.

It was a strange day weather-wise, nice and warm (too warm when you're lugging your bag!) but barely a breath of wind.

Score was patchy but the views were amazing.

View attachment 43640

View attachment 43641

Very modern looking glove ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a fantastic night at the club. Cross Country Texas Scramble. Most of you probably know what cross country means, but for those that don't, it was 7 holes playing across fairways, 17th tee to the 1st green, 2nd tee to the 3rd, etc, some of them would have measured over 500 yards while the shortest ones were around 200. Teams of 4, I entered with my two mates and an older chap who has played with us before joined us - I was well chuffed he did as he's a top bloke and a tidy player off 15 ish. There was also a rule that whoever's shot you select, that person wouldn't hit on the next one (to prevent your best player just taking on every shot himself I suppose).

It was so much fun trying to plot our way round, smashing drives over trees and such - you could argue we'd been training for it all our lives. ? We played so well and hardly put a foot wrong. After two-putting the first two greens, we one-putted all the rest, and I knew we were in with a good chance. All of us contributed, with some outrageous shots and superb putts. Had no disaster holes. Fish & chips dinner while we waited for the last groups to come in.

When the results were read out, sure enough, we were the winners! Bottle of wine each as a prize. Not a bad night's work, as I worked out I'd only hit 15 shots altogether since my drives were used 4 times out of the 7 holes. ? Really enjoyed it, great fun and taking the win was a nice bonus.

Last edited:

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just got back from a great afternoon at Cuddington thanks to @Blue in Munich.

@Steve Wilkes might get the pace of the greens by the end of the year!

I get there’s some decent tracks I Surrey but how the addington gets rated above this place baffles me

I'm bringing a spirit level next time I play there, fantastic greens and a great course set up, one of the best I've played. A big thanks to @Blue in Munich for Inviting us to play it and well please to shoot 78 off the backs, beating 300+ driver @Dando by 3 and our host by 5 (Who to be fair was experimenting a little)

Last edited:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in a team open at Childwall today, after striking the ball really well yesterday today my woods off the fairway were very poor for the most part and when I did hit a good one I messed up on the green. I did buck up later in the round with 3 3 pointers put generally well below what of myself.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just got back from a great afternoon at Cuddington thanks to @Blue in Munich.

@Steve Wilkes might get the pace of the greens by the end of the year!

I get there’s some decent tracks I Surrey but how the addington gets rated above this place baffles me

I'm bringing a spirit level next time I play there, fantastic greens and a great course set up, one of the best I've played. A big thanks to @Blue in Munich for Inviting us to play it and well please to shoot 78 off the backs, beating 300+ driver @Dando by 3 and our host by 5 (Who to be fair was experimenting a little)

Very kind, thank you guys. I'm more than happy to be a member there, won't be moving anywhere in a hurry. The tree removal has improved both the course & the conditioning for me, and Simon and his team do a fantastic job of looking after it. The club is looking to improve the course long term with changes such as the run off area on 5 instead of the bunkers. And it's not a bad view from the terrace either. Count myself lucky every time I drive in. Hope you liked the dress code ;)

Shame Princess Pouty couldn't join us, @Bratty, get well soon mate, see you next time.

4LEX

Visit site
Played Hayling Island a few days ago and got battered! Played some great golf but struggled with the wind. Hit almost every drive and approach where I wanted but the wind had other ideas. On a normal inland course it's in the 60's. I was fortunate to shoot two rounds in the 70's! Bloody great day out though.

Springveldt

Visit site
Captains Day today at our place and by my count we had 12 flags at the back of greens which was a bit do a challenge.

I shot 77 for a net 70 (level par, 4.8 differential) and if you had offered me that before I went out I would have bit your hand off. As is the way with golf though I came off the course cursing myself as I was 5 over for the last 5 holes including a double at the last. Also had a treble on the front which was a shocker.

Now I’ve calmed down a bit and had time to reflect I played really well again, driving was controlled, irons where better and putting was once again very good. Hope this form continues for a few weeks.

I think I’ll. get another cut to the handicap and may actually go down below the 5.4 I started the season at.

AliMc

Visit site
Captains Day today at our place and by my count we had 12 flags at the back of greens which was a bit do a challenge.

I shot 77 for a net 70 (level par, 4.8 differential) and if you had offered me that before I went out I would have bit your hand off. As is the way with golf though I came off the course cursing myself as I was 5 over for the last 5 holes including a double at the last. Also had a treble on the front which was a shocker.

Now I’ve calmed down a bit and had time to reflect I played really well again, driving was controlled, irons where better and putting was once again very good. Hope this form continues for a few weeks.

I think I’ll. get another cut to the handicap and may actually go down below the 5.4 I started the season at.
Always find it easier when the pins are at the back at our place, it's much harder when they are at the front especially on the 4 par 3's

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There was another team comp today, a team Stableford with best two of four to count on each hole. Unfortunately most people were already teamed up so me and my mate could only find one other chap to join us and make a team of three. After a slow start we had a great stretch from the 5th to the 9th of 6 or 7 points on each hole, which took us to a front nine of 46. Unfortunately we then tanked the 10th with a score of 2 and struggled more on the back nine - 38 there for a total score of 84. Obviously we had little chance as a team of three anyway but I just hope we didn't disgrace ourselves to much!

Personally my round was a bit of a head-scratcher. I was off 12 shots since it was 85% allowance, and it was off yellow tees for some reason. I started with a few bogeys, doubled the 4th annoyingly, but then birdied the 5th out of nowhere - my drive had finished about 6 inches from a tree so I just punched a 9 iron rather than going for a full swing, and somehow it ended up just 5 feet past the pin! Parred the 7th, 8th & 9th to get 19 points on the front.

Double on the 10th was annoying but another miracle birdie on the 11th by sinking a 30 foot putt. Disappointing double on the 13th after I shanked a 56°! Actually second shank of the day which was gutting as I've not done that for ages. Suspect I was just being lazy, but alarming anyway. Another double on 16 after a poor three putt. Ended up with 16 points back nine.

My wedges were shocking all day, pitching was poor, never got the distance right at all, and then of course the two shanks on top of that. Walked off feeling like I'd played rubbish but somehow I've shot 81 for 35 points off of 12, which is my target handicap essentially. Putting was either fantastic or God awful with not much in between. Bodes well really that I should be able to play off 12 - I just need to get there first.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smashing day, playing an open at Gosforth gc, known locally as The Bridlepath. Played pretty well although I seem to have lost the ability to hit my 3 wood ?. A very solid 42 points, respectable but I don't expect to be near the money.

It's not exceptional but it's a very pleasant place, has some interesting holes, no hills and a friendly clubhouse. £10 for the open, fabulous value.