I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Arrrrgh!!
Went out last night, had a reasonable front 9 and hit the turn with 21 points.
Picked up 11 more points off the next three holes, (par, birdie, birdie) and cooking on gas.
Then scored 8 more points on the closing 6...
:cry::cry::cry:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit late posting, but we had our club champs this weekend. Play Saturday and go out in reverse order Sunday. Both the Gross and Nett prize are board comps and considered "majors".

Course was in amazing condition and set up tough. The greens were fast with a few scary pins. Long story short, shot 5 over the first day and managed a 1 over the 2nd day (including bogeying the last as my bum was twitching). Came 3rd in the gross and won the nett by 4 shots. Quite a few attended the presentation after and i had to reel off the old "Mr Captain, Lady captain, past captains , Mr President etc etc in my speech which is something ive not done for a long time, ??

I didn't think it would feel like such a big deal, but I'm buzzing !!!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Went out for 9 last night straight after work, played pretty decent without hitting my irons well.
Used driver on 6 off the holes and all 6 were straight down the middle around the 230 yards mark, if I could hit my irons well I'd be cooking on gas :ROFLMAO:
Weather absolutely glorious as well.
Had an issue with what I think are flying ants for holes 5,6 & 7 (Right alongside a farm), they put you right off your swing.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit late posting, but we had our club champs this weekend. Play Saturday and go out in reverse order Sunday. Both the Gross and Nett prize are board comps and considered "majors".

Course was in amazing condition and set up tough. The greens were fast with a few scary pins. Long story short, shot 5 over the first day and managed a 1 over the 2nd day (including bogeying the last as my bum was twitching). Came 3rd in the gross and won the nett by 4 shots. Quite a few attended the presentation and i had to reel off the old "Mr Captain, Lady captain, past captains , Mr President in my speech which is something ive not done for a while ??

I didn't think it would feel like such a big deal, but I'm buzzing !!!

Congratulations, Great stuff.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did a quick nine holes last night with my wife walking round with me (she only played the 5 shortest ones). Decided to try a few different things - didn't take driver for one. I normally hit driver on almost every par 4 so it was to practise the 5 wood and see where it got me. I was quite surprised on some holes that I wasn't that much worse off, but not surprised that the 'bad shot' with the 5 wood is much worse than my bad drives. 18th was annoying - I three-putted for a bogey, then put the ball back in it's original position to practise it with another go, and promptly sank the 25-footer for what would have been birdie. Wife was impressed, I was just annoyed. ? Had fun on the par 3 6th - as I'd left my pitching wedge at home and the pin was at the back, I thought I'd experiment with a half swing 7 iron. It pitched near the front but ran off the back as I thought it might do. Chipping over a hump onto a downslope, I thought I might as well try a flop shot just for a laugh. To my eternal shock I actually nailed the flop shot and left myself an 8 inch tap-in for par!

Didn't really get a score as I retook a couple of shots (always get some bad lazy swings when I play in the evening), but happy with some of my 5 wood tee shots - that's a club I do like but still need more confidence with. I'm still a 'drive for dough' man though.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got back after a long weekend away at 11pm Monday. Was due to play just after 8am yesterday, thought about sacking it off as was knackered, but played and was glad I did. Started with a couple of good pars and had 19 points at the turn. Flagged a bit on the back 9, but shot 91 for 35 points which I was happy with all things considered.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just back after an epic ko match. My usual slow off the blocks, and two down after two. Got it back to level after 5. THen went two down again. Then went ages holding the honour but couldn't break the bloke, due to poor shots and him starting to struggle. Then came the 17th. Massive slice, so I thought oh well that it. He nailed his into deep rough. I reloaded and smashed it straight down the middle. He reloaded and then hooked it oob! Conceeds hole. 18th. Brilliant drive. He hooked his left and scrambled down the hole. I hit second to just to the right of the green, chipped on and got the five to his six. Off down the 1st we go. Long par 3. I sliced a 6 iron to the right of the green. He drove to the front edge. I chipped over a bunker to three feet. He left is putt very short. Missed with his third, tap in four. I spent ages over my putt. Checked up and down hole. Knocked it in for a three and the win.
Semi final next.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Definitely a game of 2 halves today...
Out in +9, back in +2...
Took 7ntil the 7th to get my first par, my 2nd coming on the 9th..
Got 7 of them on the back 9...
Such a stupid game :confused:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did a quick nine holes last night with my wife walking round with me (she only played the 5 shortest ones). Decided to try a few different things - didn't take driver for one. I normally hit driver on almost every par 4 so it was to practise the 5 wood and see where it got me. I was quite surprised on some holes that I wasn't that much worse off, but not surprised that the 'bad shot' with the 5 wood is much worse than my bad drives. 18th was annoying - I three-putted for a bogey, then put the ball back in it's original position to practise it with another go, and promptly sank the 25-footer for what would have been birdie. Wife was impressed, I was just annoyed. ? Had fun on the par 3 6th - as I'd left my pitching wedge at home and the pin was at the back, I thought I'd experiment with a half swing 7 iron. It pitched near the front but ran off the back as I thought it might do. Chipping over a hump onto a downslope, I thought I might as well try a flop shot just for a laugh. To my eternal shock I actually nailed the flop shot and left myself an 8 inch tap-in for par!

Didn't really get a score as I retook a couple of shots (always get some bad lazy swings when I play in the evening), but happy with some of my 5 wood tee shots - that's a club I do like but still need more confidence with. I'm still a 'drive for dough' man though.

It is a well known fact that the practise re-putt after a 3 putt will generally be holed

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Popped out for a quick 9 holes and only played 7 as I caught up a 3 ball who I’ve seen before so skipped 3&4 and glad I did.
They tee’d off at 4.50 and finished at 7.20…..for 9 holes (2422 yards)

The holes I did play were decent and I got 16 points with an eagle 2 on the 5th after a 6 iron to the front edge of the green (220 yards)

Since I’ve been playing more often I’m hitting the ball better and farther than before even though I feel like my swing is slower.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Out for another 9 tonight, Driving again very good and giving myself opportunities to get on to greens in two, but my ability to hit my irons was nothing short of abysmal, actually got 2 birdies but they were lucky shots in rather than executed well.
The other 7 holes added up to a cricket score.
I’m putting it down to starting my 3rd week of work, getting up at half 4 takes its toll ??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played Northenden GC today in a seniors open.
What a great golf course .
Tree lined every hole, some great short par fours, and good par threes.
Best greens I have seen for a very long time.
Fast and true really first class, well done to the Greenstaff.
Only one negative, bunkers were horrible ,they were brushed by machine and had no loose sand to play a splash out.
They were rock hard. Only went in two but let it down a bit.
Fabulous Fish and chips in clubhouse and a nice draught cider.
Great day out I would recommend it .

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Northenden GC today in a seniors open.
What a great golf course .
Tree lined every hole, some great short par fours, and good par threes.
Best greens I have seen for a very long time.
Fast and true really first class, well done to the Greenstaff.
Only one negative, bunkers were horrible ,they were brushed by machine and had no loose sand to play a splash out.
They were rock hard. Only went in two but let it down a bit.
Fabulous Fish and chips in clubhouse and a nice draught cider.
Great day out I would recommend it .

A sad fact of most bunkers around here, just not the same as bunkers you get on a links course where you can play with confidence

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Midweek Medal today, out just after 7.
Poor front 9 again, rescued somewhat by a birdie at 7 and a good par on 9 but 6 over wasn't where I wanted to be..
And it got worse as bogeys on 10 and 11 saw me with a struggle on my hands..
Gave myself a virtual slap round the head and then played the next 7 holes in 2 under....3 birdies on the bounce from 14 to 16 including a 2
So, ended up 6 over 77 for a nett 68 and currently leading Div1 by 4 shots....
Handicap cut too, and with the scores coming in ...you never know if the dreaded PCC will make the cut better...
Very hot out there and the course is taking no prisoners so ecstatic with the level par back 9.
Playing a watching/waiting game now.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played last night and my run of rounds in the 70's came to an end (had to happen at some point). Shot 86 and most of it was driver related, was 3 off the tee once, had to take an unplayable drop on another and was in trouble another 5 times that I had to hack out/lay up/play safe. Also only holed 1 putt of 6 foot, everything else was under 2 foot, nothing would drop.

Next 9 rounds on my handicap record are not counting rounds so got some time to get a few decent rounds in.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went with a mate of mine to play Crompton & Royton today. What an awesome place. I really don't get why people sing the praises of the so called top courses when there are so many amazing places to go and play and this is one of them. Great design and use of the undulations. Stunning greens, which is a must. It's the sort of course you must play more than once to start scoring on. Friendly members. Smashing lady in the bar. We had a brilliant day and will return again.

PS....just in case it's not reported on Sky Golf today......I GOT A HOLE IN ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
PSS.....It's my birthday today !!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Another 9 tonight, driving so so, irons much better, putting murder!!
My main focus was irons after last night, and they were decent, so a good positive.
One day it will all come together ????

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Seniors team match today. Won the first hole but lost the next two. Level pegging for a few holes, then they go two up at the turn. We keep chipping away but they keep sinking putts to maintain the lead. Momentum finally turns and we win 3 in a row to be 1 up with 2 to play.

PP goes oob on 17, I leave my approach short, they both find the middle of the green and it’s all square going up the last.

We are getting a shot off their low player (3 handicapper), he hits a screamer of a drive then stiffs his second to 5 foot. I hit ok drive but it finds the long stuff. Hack it out then hit my 3rd to the edge of the green. Roll it up to 4 foot. He has his for the match but it slides by. I nervously knock mine in for the half to finish all square.

Cracking match and a fair result.