I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Boomy

Visit site
Played Silloth ⛳️ today in the lovely sunshine ☀️ Kind of spoiled a bit by having to play in a novelty par 3 competition (all 18 holes playing as par 3’s) but played reasonably well. One of the local spectators got a bit close on 6 but we soon moved him on ? without a fuss.

04CCD1B0-85E5-4B38-BF87-E2F08E8B3178.jpeg

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saturday roll up. Hit it better than in the medal yesterday but still not on it. Putting even more of a joke on the hollow tined greens so simply laughed off the three from inside a foot that either jumped off the putter (probably in a tined hole) or went straight left or right.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Saturday roll up. Hit it better than in the medal yesterday but still not on it. Putting even more of a joke on the hollow tined greens so simply laughed off the three from inside a foot that either jumped off the putter (probably in a tined hole) or went straight left or right.

Must be hard when the greens at Ascot are usually top quality

D

Deleted member 3432

Played Silloth ⛳️ today in the lovely sunshine ☀️ Kind of spoiled a bit by having to play in a novelty par 3 competition (all 18 holes playing as par 3’s) but played reasonably well. One of the local spectators got a bit close on 6 but we soon moved him on ? without a fuss.

View attachment 41889
Good reason the hole is named Natterjack.
1st year I was a member played the hole and there were thousands of tiny toads on the green, impossible not to stand on them despite not putting out

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Must be hard when the greens at Ascot are usually top quality

They have been mint for years and last year were superb, helped by the Covid break. I think we're suffering from too many new members and more traffic 7 days a week and they have become compacted and bare. Hopefully the work will help (more top dressing planned next week) and I have faith in the head GK as he has done good work in the last few years. Personally I'd like to see a green per week shut Monday-Friday (or even for 7 days) and just rest them in rotation from November-March

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having shot 41 and 39 points on my last two outings, and the weather looking nice today, I thought I'd put a card in. Realised there was a medal on this weekend, even better I thought, I'll just enter that. Guess what happened next? Yeah, played crap.

We started on the 8th and after two bogeys I double bogeyed the 10th & 11th. Couple more bogeys until I birdied the 14th with nice putt - but I hadn't bothered entering the twos sweep so that was annoying if anything. ? Kept it tidy until the blind par 3 3rd, where I managed a triple bogey 6 so that was game over completely. Ended up with 87 gross, net 4 over, which on paper isn't terrible maybe, but I was hugely disappointed given how well I'd played lately. That is also my worst score since the middle of December.

When I entered I assumed we were still off mats but as it turned out they'd gone back out to the proper tees at the first sign of sun, so that was a bit of a curveball I guess. The greens were odd as they'd dried out a bit bobbly in places so they were quite inconsistent in speeds. And my last excuse (?) is that it was surprisingly windy even though the sun was out. So yeah, golf is annoying anyway.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played well yesterday, shot 75 for 38 points. Back 9 was excellent, 1 bogey, 8 pars and a couple of close birdie putts. Would have loved for one of them to drop to have a level par back 9, I've never done that before.

Front 9 was a struggle but I manage to hold a score together while being a bit wild off the tee but my recovery shots were excellent for once.

Missed 2 putts from within 2 foot again which was really annoying but managed to keep my round together for once. Had 3 really good up and downs which made up for the missed putts.

The winner of the sweep had 43 points with 3 blobs. :ROFLMAO:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice to be out in some sunshine today.

Played well overall, but left a bit frustrated by a triple and a couple of doubles. Round in 80 which was enough for 2nd in the comp.

We will be back in proper tees next week, so hopefully the form continues and the cuts follow.

AAC

Visit site
It was the final round of our winter eclectic today, no chance of winning the gross or nett, so as it was a lovely day & the course was playing its full length I decided to put a general play card in, glad I did as I scored 40 points, best score so far this year but frustratingly that was about as bad as it could have been, nothing dropped and a couple of sill dunch's, but hopefully a little cut tomorrow :cool:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stableford comp, off the whites, 40 points, won the comp, that’s 3 comps I’ve won in a row now! ? In my defence, the first 2 were non quals and so no cut, will be getting a cut this time and I’m looking forward to it, hoping for a sub 18 handicap for the first time, currently sitting at 18.9.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Stableford comp, off the whites, 40 points, won the comp, that’s 3 comps I’ve won in a row now! ? In my defence, the first 2 were non quals and so no cut, will be getting a cut this time and I’m looking forward to it, hoping for a sub 18 handicap for the first time, currently sitting at 18.9.
Mr popular at the club! ???

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sun was out, not exactly warm but none of the wind we had yesterday. Went to Aldenham for nine holes with the wife. Didn't hit the ball particularly well, apart from driver which was solid, but scraped a 40 for 18 points somehow. My wife struggled with her driver which she has normally been hitting really well, but made a little bit of progress hitting the hybrid. She finished with 65 for 14 points. The greens were absolutely lightning there, I couldn't believe how quick they were for a little nine-holer.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
77 for 40 points. 3 birdies 2 doubles. Greens still a bit sandy from last weeks maintenance which made for some tricky putts.

Only 6 FIR and 8 greens. 32 putts with 3 3 putts ?? Seeing break that isn’t there is so frustrating!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Medal again today. No idea what the club were thinking having a medal on Friday and today having hollow cored the greens on Monday. Net 76 and tee to green I hit it really nicely and made 2 birdies but had 7 x 3 putts including a couple from a foot or so. A lottery as to whether any putt would come off the club face straight or jump as soon as it was struck. Even trying to be firm with the short ones didn't guarantee it wouldn't deviate. It is what it is and not too hung up about it and very happy with my general play today

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Shot a gross 78, net 66, 42 points off the yellows today, 6 under handicap, in a friendly knock. 3 birdies, but another 4 birdie putts not dropping and three or four chunked pitches/chips meant it could have been even better! Putted pretty well and drove the ball really well. Very happy today!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220320-170442_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220320-170442_Photos.jpg
    992.6 KB · Views: 6

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shot a gross 78, net 66, 42 points off the yellows today, 6 under handicap, in a friendly knock. 3 birdies, but another 4 birdie putts not dropping and three or four chunked pitches/chips meant it could have been even better! Putted pretty well and drove the ball really well. Very happy today!

Good shooting. No matter what we shoot especially when we hit a good score, we always feel we've left some out there. Work on the short game and it could be even better. Well played

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Medal again today. No idea what the club were thinking having a medal on Friday and today having hollow cored the greens on Monday. Net 76 and tee to green I hit it really nicely and made 2 birdies but had 7 x 3 putts including a couple from a foot or so. A lottery as to whether any putt would come off the club face straight or jump as soon as it was struck. Even trying to be firm with the short ones didn't guarantee it wouldn't deviate. It is what it is and not too hung up about it and very happy with my general play today

Having played on Friday and knowing what they were like, why did you torture yourself again today?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having played on Friday and knowing what they were like, why did you torture yourself again today?

Because it was a qualifier for one of the honour board match play events. I knew the greens were bad and yes it was the same for everyone and my issue isn't playing on the crap greens as the work has to be done, but the poor planning by the club to then schedule two medals straight after the work