I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
First round after the driver lesson, serious concentration on the drive down… had a game plan…. Just going to Focus on strike and not count score. New Stealth driver in the shop on demo so obviously I was sucked in.

Really windy today so wasn’t taking the drive data too seriously but damn I impressed myself. With the new ball position and all the pre-flight checks I actually hit the driver well including a 296 yard bomb down the 2nd. 7/13 FIR and 8 GIR putting still embarrassing, missed a dead straight 5 footer short - how is that even possible! Anyway 82 knocks in the end with a double on the last after a fried egg in the face of the green side bunker after flushing a 6i from 180.

The stealth is actually quite nice, I can only describe it as “muted” doesn’t feel fast off the face and feedback was such that I wasn’t really sure where I hit the face. Not a fair test considering the lesson this week but first impressions were good.

Boomy

Visit site
A lal bit breezy at Silloth ⛳️ today, dry though, so that was good, and the ☀️ even made an appearance ?
Hard to understand why it was so quiet and so many members scratched off ??‍♂️ It’s a links golf course, there’ll be windy days, that’s what it’s all about - the challenge.
Anyway, beaut of a day and a cracking game with my buddy ??‍♂️??‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
34 pts today. Excellent 20pt front 9, but it gradually slipped away through the back 9 for a 14pts. That's how my golf is at the moment. I start doing what my coach is telling me and I do it well - but as the round goes on it seems I gradually and without really noticing I slip and things start going wrong. And at the moment I really struggle to remediate things as I play.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
34 pts today. Excellent 20pt front 9, but it gradually slipped away through the back 9 for a 14pts. That's how my golf is at the moment. I start doing what my coach is telling me and I do it well - but as the round goes on it seems I gradually and without really noticing I slip and things start going wrong. And at the moment I really struggle to remediate things as I play.
Are you eating and staying hydrated? I always eat a cereal bar on the 7th and 13th now and find it helps

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Cracking day in the course today, beautiful weather with not much breeze at all. Medal comp, not sure why really but that’s what we played.

Hit the ball well overall and ended with a gross 79, so happy to be breaking 80 with the “pressure” on. Could have been a whole load better as I had 3 x doubles and 1 triple.

We just need to get back into proper tees so we have these comps as counters as some of the scores are a bit ridiculous. Should be some big cuts coming.

Visit site
2 man best ball comp today - putted badly on the front nine - missed half a dozen 4-5 footers after a woeful first putt
I did make a host of pars on the back nine; admittedly some were from my second ball but I'm sure we all agree that its too early in the year to nit-pick ;)
..we didn't win

D

Deleted member 16999

33pts in an Ind Stab, lovely day, light breeze, good company and some enjoyable golf, apart from the 7th were after a drive up the middle ended with me playing my 4th from behind were I played my 2nd.:oops:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out with the Fragster this afternoon..glorious weather with just a touch of chilly breeze that needed the top layer staying on.
An OK front 9 of 3 over..made to look better than it was by the birdie on 7...19 points....
I don't know if I lost focus, started thinking about other things or just came over all crap but the next 2 holes were a waste of time.....lost it completely
Struggled from there on, a decent run in the middle but a poor bogey at the last and just 16 points and 9 over in total...not sure imhit a decent iron shot all day.
On the positive side it shows where my game is that I'm considering 35 points and 80 shots as being a bit Meh.....
The wind picked up a bit and the temperature dropped like a stone....pretty cold when we finished.
Fragger knocked in a 101and may slide up a touch on his index...at least 2 4 point holes:rolleyes:..33 points and 4 (count 'em) blobs:eek:

Mike79

Visit site
I played the range today. And it was horrific. Irons were ok but driver and 3W all went right. Very right. Just wasn’t a fun session at all. I’m not digging my new TS3 driver any more.

I usually have a fade with driver but tonight it was a major slice, and far less swing speed and distance than usual.

The TM Stealth I hit earlier in the week went left, but think I was setting up expecting my fade. Seriously considering ditching the Titleist driver / 3W / 2H in place of something from Taylormade. There is a TM fitting at my club this week and tempting to see if there are any slots left at it…

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lovely am round after yesterday's storm winds caused the cancellation of Saturday's Burn's Trophy. Several trees down in some vulnerable places justify the cancellation despite some members complaining at the time. Played 13 holes & 3 over gross for 9....... 4 for the 13. Hope I can repeat that in tomorrow's Seniors.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to Wexham Park green course with the wife. Got a puncture from a massive pothole just two mins from arriving so delayed our tee time an hour while we struggled to put the spare on! Annoying.

My wife struggled on the first hole, I hit a couple of ropey shots well, probably just refocusing our minds after the tyre kerfuffle. But after that she played really well! Still hitting the new driver great which set her up for four bogeys, total 55 for 22 points! (Three shots per hole) She's struggling most with the irons, she even had a go with my hybrid as an experiment which was kind of promising - wondering whether to make that the next purchase for her. Her chipping & putting was pretty decent for her level. Once she gets a bit more consistent with the irons I think she'll make some real progress.

I got mainly bogeys, one birdie but only one par. No doubles which is good, but two three putts unfortunately - the greens were surprisingly quick and I ran a few past. Got a 6 over 38 for 19 points, so I guess I have to settle for 2nd place. Gonna have to chop her handicap!

D

Deleted member 29109

Played yesterday in a sustained 25mph cross wind.

Started pretty well and could have been a couple under after 6 holes, but was level. Which considering the weather, soft conditions and bumpy greens was really good. Made a silly bogie on 7 then had a horror show on 8 topping my 3rd into a hazard. It then took me another 5 shots to get the ball into the hole.

I managed to keep it together for a few holes before another triple. Then played the next three holes well before another triple on 17 before signing off with a par on the last.

Sticking to the swing changes in such a strong wind when things go south is hard. My decision making wasn’t the best on a couple of the blow up holes. So there is improvement to be made there.

On the plus side I didn’t make a double ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played yesterday in windy conditions. Not great but got it round. Played today in cold but perfect conditions. 35 points but absolutely hated how I hit it (and yesterday). Holing a pitch for birdie net eagle tidied the scorecard today. Annoyed that 37 won and I made a mess of a couple of holes so would have picked up. A couple of one points and a no score on the back nine killed momentum

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played Ashburnham today under mostly clear skies. One of my favourites..

...but oh. Something very wrong there at mo. Greens were mostly bald and pretty awful. Never seen them like this. 8th hole closed for drainage work. A 100 yard temporary hole in play and a temp green on 15th. Lots of very forward tee mats in use.

Local told me it's been poor since last summer. Sad to see.

Keep clear till some growth has returned.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played with the boys this morning, a pretty low turn out for a change,but we were in the middle of a storm so not a suprise, though the worst of it was overnight. Turned out to be a nice morning and not than windy considering it had been at its strongest overnight. Shed of the Cameron course had blown away and a few Scots pines on the main course had suffered.one next to the 11th tee completely uprooted and one next to the tee at 15th snapped in half.

Golf wasn't up to much tbh, but it was nice to get out.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
30 balls on range plus 4 holes...wasn't great...so not ideal prep for winter singles k/o match tomorrow. No matter. Will just have to do my best; accept that things are likely to go wrong; and see how I get on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Solo 9 before work first thing this morning..back 9 as usual
Birdied the 1st, a couple of bogeys too..
Wind got right up from the 16th...300 yard drive down 17, 180 yards up 18 into the teeth of it....
Hopefully less breezy tomorrow

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Front nine I was a machine, 19 points and won £3.
Back nine rammel.
Played with a guy off 1. He drove our par 4 8th. And promptly 4 putted. On the 9th he had a meltdown with the bobbly greens and back swiped a ball with his putter which flew off the club and missed a PP by inches. He apologised. Our SI 1 is a par five of 540yds. He was on the green in 2. First time I have seen it happen. He and another Pp were on about another player at our place who off the white tees 580 yds shot a 2 on that hole. ?

AliMc

Visit site
Front nine I was a machine, 19 points and won £3.
Back nine rammel.
Played with a guy off 1. He drove our par 4 8th. And promptly 4 putted. On the 9th he had a meltdown with the bobbly greens and back swiped a ball with his putter which flew off the club and missed a PP by inches. He apologised. Our SI 1 is a par five of 540yds. He was on the green in 2. First time I have seen it happen. He and another Pp were on about another player at our place who off the white tees 580 yds shot a 2 on that hole. ?
Some people are just absolute beasts when hitting a golf ball Tashy, we have a guy at Dunbar plays of + h'cap, currently +2.4, who hit it on our 15th 322 yards off the yellows with a 5 iron