I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played 12 holes today, I had 9 pars sadly 2 of the 3 I didn't par were double bogies, it is becoming a regular thing, getting a lot of pars and the odd birdie but the other holes are more likely to be double bogies or worst than a simple bogey.

Is that because it is winter golf? Strike has to be so precise and if you miss the fairway with mud on the ball it becomes hard. Also missing a green and pitching ir chipping off bare lies or from a wet muddy lie is very testing and if you don't have shots to play with adds to the pressure.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Played the semi final of the vets foursomes this morning against a really decent pair who we beat a few weeks ago in the greensomes. We won out 5 and 3 and played very steady in doing so. We have both the greensomes and foursomes to play in the final, but not sure I'm going to be fit enough as I'm having surgery next week

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday in a Monday seniors comp,just 6 x 4 balls
Format was new to me,it was a yellow ball that counts double a red ball that counts treble and 2 normal scores.
2 scores to count
Obviously decide who tees off based on handicaps and where you have shots and play alternates.
85% handicaps minus any shots where you have won previously.
Example I was playing off 6 minus 2 from previous -85% of 4 so only 3 shots.
We scored 193 never lost either ball and only used 4 shots that wasn’t a yellow or red.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is that because it is winter golf? Strike has to be so precise and if you miss the fairway with mud on the ball it becomes hard. Also missing a green and pitching ir chipping off bare lies or from a wet muddy lie is very testing and if you don't have shots to play with adds to the pressure.

No I hit a poor tee shot on a par 3 and found water, and the other was just a poor shot off a downhill lie that ended up behind a tree.
Today I just played 9, no doubles but not many pars.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was going well front 9 with 20 points, back 9 a bit of a disaster, found greenside bunkers on 6 out of 9 holes. Ended up with 34 points. Being positive, ball striking was good, just one of those days I suppose.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing darn well at the moment (relatively speaking than is). A swing "correction" means I'm striking the ball much better than I have normally done. Of the past 10 rounds or so, just the one has been worse (2 points) than handicap for the holes played. All the rest have been better than h/c. Today was 31 points from the 15 open holes.

Annoying thing was that this week is first that its been dry enough to open the full course. But equally, the first time it's dry enough to get tree contractors onto the course to do some necessary maintenance - so three holes still closed. But bodes well for the weekend.

D

Deleted member 21258

Took a day off, early rise, long drive, Off to Saunton, teed off just after 9am, back home just after 9pm, knackered today. A glorious day for January.

East in morning, 86, WHS scoring diff 12.3, putting/chipping is killing scoring, up/down percentage rubbish and 4 three putts.

West, texas in afternoon, think we did 5 over with wife but on 5 holes we played separately to slow us down. We hacked and hacked our way round.:LOL:

No lost balls for me and found 14 balls in the rough etc whilst looking for our balls.

D

Deleted member 23270

Played yesterday, 16 holes open due to winter work. Swing changes bedding in nicely, struck the ball really solidly. 2 over par thanks to one poor shot into deep cabbage that led to a double, rest of it was 1 bogey, 1 birdie and 13 pars.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
38pts off front tees was OK given I didn't hole anything of any significance today. One messy hole when I got stuck under the face of one of our rebuilt bunkers (it should roll back from face but sand hadn't been smoothed by a previous player) and doubled it for a blob.

Other that - 8 over gross is an indicator that I'm on track for where I want to be for start of next season - and my Winter K/O match on Wednesday.

4LEX

Visit site
Played today on my own at 2.30, managed a full round in 2hrs 8 mins and shot +2. Played under comp conditions, no gimmes or cleaning the ball. Dropped 1 shot on a short par 4 with 70 yards and 2 at another short par 4 with 110 yards in. Got greedy and went for the 'trees are 90% air' nonsense and paid the price. Long run of pars to steady the ship and finished well. Was a pleasure being out in the sunshine and a barmy 12 degrees. Days like today are the reason you love golf. Just perfection.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A bit frosty to start but it soon cleared...
+5 on the front 9 for 17 points and +1 on the back 9 for 21 points..including a double bogey blob
38 points, +6 and another 0.2 off the Index...but I still get 8 shots...just....
Got held up badly on the back 9 by a rollup of 24 players who went out later than usual and had more players than expected.....so quite pleased with how I held it together having to wait on every shot from then12th...

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Quarter finals of the Winter League this morning, nip and tuck for the first 8 holes but we were then steamrollered and lost 5 holes on the trot to go down 6 & 5!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Cant really describe what we did was play?

Breezy, would be and an understatement. Every other booking had been cancelled and Craig in the shop was amused we were going to even attempt going out. We drove off the first, without issue but then the wind picked up even more. Got to my ball which I was happy with the distance and had at least gone 200 yards so had around the same distance to the green, at the top of my backswing my hat blew off, it had had enough and it headed back down the fairway a great speed. Luckily it got stuck in some broom between the 1st tee and short bunker on 18?. When I got back to my playing partners my bag a trolley had blown over. Got to the green and it was even a struggle to get the ball to the hole without it being blown back to you. So gave up putting. Played 2nd, was driver, 3 Wood, 7 iron for a hole that usually is driver wedge on the winter layout. Enough was enough, we headed over to the 16th tee. That wasn't that easy and all 3 of our bags got blown over multiple times as we were side on. By now it was even impossible to get the ball to stay on the tee long enough to hit your drive. So we hit from the rough off the deck with 3 woods, which still almost made the green, Dp even put his in the green side bunker. All 3 balls got blown off the green with the chips and bunker shot. Hit iron off the 17th and still almost made the burn. At the point we gave up and headed in via the practice ground as the is a gorse hedge offering some shelter from.the wind. Hopefully it's calmed down by tomorrow ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My usual mates were unavailable so just went out on my own. Had to wait for people to let me through once or twice but still made it round in 2:24. Don't think I played particularly well but a few putts dropped (and a couple of generous gimmes when people had let me through and I wanted to get out of the way) to mask it and get me a score of 83 (36 points). Managed a birdie, but only 3 pars. Only two doubles so minimised damage reasonably well.

Weather was surprisingly mild for Jan, just the shirt and jumper and was almost tempted to take the jumper off. Was very breezy* though which made club selection awkward when I only take 9 clubs out to lighten the bag a bit.

*having just gone back and read Patrick's post, it really wasn't that breezy at all. ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
... had a lovely round of golf at my place with Oddsocks, Dando and BigPhil14!
Started the day with a nice breakfast and then to the golf. Oddsocks and I lost the first, and then it went back and forth for a bit before we started edging ahead, and finally won on 15th.
Was really rather windy up at Westerham and played havoc on a few drives and approaches, but was great fun and great company.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
... had a lovely round of golf at my place with Oddsocks, Dando and BigPhil14!
Started the day with a nice breakfast and then to the golf. Oddsocks and I lost the first, and then it went back and forth for a bit before we started edging ahead, and finally won on 15th.
Was really rather windy up at Westerham and played havoc on a few drives and approaches, but was great fun and great company.

Thanks for invite and the breakfast Simon!
Next time can you cancel the wind please mate.