I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I put in a general play card on Monday, got a 0.1 cut, I also played at Manchester and Blackpool North Shore this week, my good ball striking is continuing but I am increasingly frustrated but not being able to keep the ball on greens. On most holes I am hitting a wood for my 2nd shot and it is become a regular occurrence to see the ball land on or just short but to finish up through the back, I guess this is partly to do with the greens being very hard at this time of the year. I had better get used to it as I playing at St Andrews next week and I expect to to happen a lot.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I put in a general play card on Monday, got a 0.1 cut, I also played at Manchester and Blackpool North Shore this week, my good ball striking is continuing but I am increasingly frustrated but not being able to keep the ball on greens. On most holes I am hitting a wood for my 2nd shot and it is become a regular occurrence to see the ball land on or just short but to finish up through the back, I guess this is partly to do with the greens being very hard at this time of the year. I had better get used to it as I playing at St Andrews next week and I expect to to happen a lot.
What course(s) are you playing up here Louise?

D

Deleted member 25172

Played back in Sweden today at one of the local clubs that I never played before. Stunning course but a really tough walk, and they even had a “taxi” between 2 holes were they had a cart to put all the trolleys on before you got in the buggy and they took us up the road.

Played awful and it was slower than slow, but enjoyed being back playing with my mates from home.

And as a side note: I played for free today, but had I paid a green fee it would’ve been £55 with today’s conversion rate. I’d guesstimate that in the UK this would’ve been a £100+ kind of course based on what I’ve played.

D33B05CB-B4AA-4275-BAA8-CF2583EB571D.jpeg9D978415-223E-46B1-B37C-E4AC398A0564.jpeg
E5681E64-AC0E-45A5-BD09-6FBCD6AC9962.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Had our foursomes quarter final on Wednesday. We have been unbeaten in the last 2 and a half years..alas, with me still not 100 % and my pp doing his back in the morning of the game, the cards were stacked against us, esp giving away 9 shots. To cut a long story short, we lost on the 17th 2 down. The one thing that was worrying was neither of our oppo had a clue about the rules. On the first one of them announces he's in a seeded divot and was taking relief, he wasn't happy about being told he couldn't unless under penalty. On the 2nd tee shot slice low and right bounce 3 times then dived into thick rough short of the hazard. Red stakes are waters edge so def didn't make the hazard, no sign of it so his pp heads back to the tee to hit another as its a lost ball. Once his pp hits and finds the fairway a good 10.mins has past, and low and behold he finds the first ball and then expects to play it. On the 3rd the again find the water right, again a thick collar of rough some 10 feet from the hazard, but this Time we can see the ball in the water. Go to take their drop but marks from the edge of the fairway rather than the hazard and again gets the hump when he is corrected. Anyway to cut another long story short neither of them had any clue of the rules and they are a 6 and 9 handicap. Some of the things they came out with were truly staggering. Does make me wonder what sort of things go on in comps?
I think this is a good example of not playing with the same people for medals all the time. A good way to learn rules you weren't aware of is to play with different players.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think this is a good example of not playing with the same people for medals all the time. A good way to learn rules you weren't aware of is to play with different players.
Yes I think they only play together with one other, ones a tennis coach, the other two are both PE teachers. The funniest was they blocked the drive on 15th which has a sort of gully fairway with both sides some 30 ft higher the right side has part of an old wall. They were in the wall. We could hear them discuss taking a drop and one says if we drop it here, it will roll down the hill onto the middle of the fairway, and they would play from there ?? some 40 yards away.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. Some of the things they came out with were truly staggering. Does make me wonder what sort of things go on in comps?

Something that is often discussed about our Seniors Comps with the same groups always playing together and it noticeable that some will not play in drawn partner games . E.G. Rumours of gimmes often abound.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something that is often discussed about our Seniors Comps with the same groups always playing together and it noticeable that some will not play in drawn partner games . E.G. Rumours of gimmes often abound.
I think that's a different matter, these guys weren't cheats as such, they just had no clue what they could and couldn't do. Give them there dues they did ask how the could both improve, both were told learn the rules

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A good round for me today in the Seniors Stableford, scored 39 points and currently in first place with three scores yet to be posted.

1981 John Letters The Master Model Forged in the bag again, that's three good scores I've had with them this week, a shame it's their last day and a different set will be in the bag next week.
Also played Mizuno "White Fang" graphite woods and a Swilken 909 putter, a bit like a flanged Golden Goose in steel.

1628270736379.png

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played Ely City today. Shot 86.

The good thing was we managed to dodge all the rain.

The golf however, was not so good. My driver continued to misbehave as it did yesterday. Luckily it was that bad I was generally wide enough to have some kind of shot. Hit my 5 wood well of the tee a few times and should have stuck with it, but wanted to get my driver going. Finally found the middle of the driver on the 18th.

Played pretty scrappy really, always fighting to get back in position, and left loads of putts a foot short and on line. It was very windy in my defence, which I've never experienced round Ely.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Was meant to be playing in an open at Manchester GC today but it was called off about 3 minutes before our tee time. Can't say I was too disappointed at the time.

However as we drove back into the city the weather started brightening up so we went and played 14 holes at Worsley GC where my mate is a member.

Played well to be fair and was a bit gutted I wasn't able to do that in competition. Had a couple of trebles but that was more of me not taking it too seriously and trying outlandish shots from under trees etc.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A good round for me today in the Seniors Stableford, scored 39 points and currently in first place with three scores yet to be posted.

1981 John Letters The Master Model Forged in the bag again, that's three good scores I've had with them this week, a shame it's their last day and a different set will be in the bag next week.
Also played Mizuno "White Fang" graphite woods and a Swilken 909 putter, a bit like a flanged Golden Goose in steel.

View attachment 37903
In case he's just too modest to brag.
Third place on Sunday with 40 points and yes, he was the winner yesterday with 39 points.
A good haul of vouchers and a sizeable cut to the HI.
Jolly well done old bean!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played back in Sweden today at one of the local clubs that I never played before. Stunning course but a really tough walk, and they even had a “taxi” between 2 holes were they had a cart to put all the trolleys on before you got in the buggy and they took us up the road.

Played awful and it was slower than slow, but enjoyed being back playing with my mates from home.

And as a side note: I played for free today, but had I paid a green fee it would’ve been £55 with today’s conversion rate. I’d guesstimate that in the UK this would’ve been a £100+ kind of course based on what I’ve played.

View attachment 37898View attachment 37899
View attachment 37900
where were you?
When I am out in Sweden I am based in Gothenburg but haven’t played anywhere yet ☹️

D

Deleted member 25172

where were you?
When I am out in Sweden I am based in Gothenburg but haven’t played anywhere yet ☹️

I played Kallfors Golfklubb, which is about a 40 min drive south of Stockholm. Only club I know about in the Gothenburg area is “Hills GC” which I believe is one of the most expensive ones in Sweden and where they’ve played a European Tour event at a few years back.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Kallfors Golfklubb, which is about a 40 min drive south of Stockholm. Only club I know about in the Gothenburg area is “Hills GC” which I believe is one of the most expensive ones in Sweden and where they’ve played a European Tour event at a few years back.
Yes I had a look at hills as well , looks lovely but as you say expensive. The weather is also the other issue but Stockholm is probal wetter? And Malmö the best area ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…or not as it turns out. Course closed due to being saturated after yesterday’s and overnight deluge. Course drains well but there are times when it just takes a bit longer.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday at Keighley. Rubbish weather all day. Played 9 in the morning, lunch (highlight of the day - steak pie was ridiculously good) and then 18 in the afternoon.

So bad, horrendously bad golf. Really fed up with how I played, infact 3 out of the four ball played badly. Course was in great condition considering all the rain on Thursday and yesterday.

Everything felt wrong. Driving was so poor. I'm coming over the top and at times hitting it 25 yards left about a foot from the floor. Embarrassing. My normally good go to club hybrid was steady but distance wise was shocking, irons same on distance. Putting was ok. Think I finished with 25 points.

We were talking during the last few holes saying our golf was better when we started playing the game. Think it's too many thoughts, too much reading/seeing different advice that gets in your head!

Nice walk though!!