I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
After the car crash of last weekend, was just after a practice round yesterday. Paired up with a guy on his first game for 10 weeks, he wanted the yellow tees and planned to keep a stableford score - so went with that.
Had a steady 18 points 1st nine, big wobble on 11 & 12 going double, treble ?. Great up & down on 13 restored confidence and ended up finishing with 6 pars for 36 points. Only a hole & a half in the rain also, mostly missed it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great day at Druids Heath in a men's 4bbb. For the first time ever me and my mate dovetailed and had 21 points on the front 9. It couldn't last. We came back with 18. Oh well. Druids is one of my favourite courses. Very playable and greens to die for. Get them wrong and you are not going to have a good score. In the clubhouse after we found out we should have played it as a medal. LOL ? I managed to convert our score to fit but a nasty 6 on the 17 didn't help and there was a 62 in. Great day though.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
First round of the club champs yesterday, obviously I was going for the trophy (best net) not the championship.

Started off disastrously with a low pulled drive into a copse of trees, found the ball and chipped out and managed to get up and down for a bogey. Thought it was going to be my day until the fourth which is normally a gimme birdie/par hole as a short par 4 but playing from the blacks meant a small cutout tee in the middle of the gorse 60 yards back from the usual tees. The gorse in front meant that driver was out of the question so I went with my hybrid as it normally launches high. Not so. Hit a low bullet... straight into the gorse ahead of me.

Ended up 12 over through the front 9 and with only 3 shots to play with on the back 9 to play to handicap. I took 8, with 3 doubles.

Not a good day at the office but not completely out of the running ahead of the second round next week but it'll need to be my very best.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. Just the roll-up not a comp. Didn't feel I played the best. Offline shots multiple 3-putts, lip-outs, the lot! Thought I played really badly.

Didn't realise until I was thinking about it last night that it was the first time under 80. Scored a 78 which was 12 over. Only a short course at par 66 but I'm still counting it ?.

Amazing the difference between your perception of how you've played and the reality.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Medal today and simply got blown away by the weather halfway through..
1 over gross after 6 and the heavens opened and the wind blew..just nasty conditions.
Actually took my specs off as I could see better without them.
Trouble is I can't see that see that well without them either.
Shipped 10 shots in 6 holes, hit a tee shot that,seemingly, went in a bunker but it wasn't there when we arrived...NR...
2 scores under nett par from 72 scores so far....
At home, drying out..I think they call it Character Building....:LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday only the real bad hole was losing one in the long grass after hitting the ball instead of the sand coming out of a bunker and on the on the 18th a 3 putt after 3 to the green but I knew I needed to par it to beat one of the guys I was playing with and went for the 12 footer first putt with a bit of gusto.

Happy with 38 points (gross 80) until winners were announced in the swindle 2 with 40 and one with 41.

It is hard to win when you are the lowest handicap, even the guy was trying to beat in my group had 39 points off a PH of 27.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great day at Druids Heath in a men's 4bbb. For the first time ever me and my mate dovetailed and had 21 points on the front 9. It couldn't last. We came back with 18. Oh well. Druids is one of my favourite courses. Very playable and greens to die for. Get them wrong and you are not going to have a good score. In the clubhouse after we found out we should have played it as a medal. LOL ? I managed to convert our score to fit but a nasty 6 on the 17 didn't help and there was a 62 in. Great day though.

If you are playing in either a medal or a Stableford comp you should be recording the gross score on the card if you want to record the stableford points do this in the results / points column so there is no confusion or room for it to be misinterpreted.

The one time it can be a downfall is if you both pick up and fail to complete any hole if you think it is a Stableford comp.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Board comp stableford today. Teed off 8:42. Front nine in the rain, 2 over par, 18 points. Rain stopped, back nine, 1 over par, 18 points. Finished 14th place.

3-way tie for 1st place on 40 points. (handicaps 6, 24 and 7)

Lowest gross prize for me, however. Tied with the 7-handicapper above, but better back nine for me. Really chuffed with that. And looks like a 0.2 cut to 2.3.

Next time out, I'll be losing my best score - so likely to go back up.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£10 to play Royal St Georges, with a 2 course dinner, with Sunday Open pins still in place, with grandstands still surrounding the 18th. Lost my match by 2 holes to a +1 hcp so even though I had 7 shots, shot 81 which I was very happy with, including birdies on holes 6&7.

D

Deleted member 3432

Another good day to be at work and not able to play.

Comp won with a net 54 playing off 31 ???

Not a new golfer just playing off a much higher higher handicap than previously.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Friday at Chiltern Forest, +5 after 9 then the heavens opened and ended up +15.

Dried my gear out overnight for a 10am tee time Saturday at LB. +5 after 9, and then the heavens opened for a +15..... sounds familiar!

Was prepared for the rain on Friday, wasn't prepared on Saturday and was soaked through to my underwear and we actually didn't bother playing the 18th as the greens were flooded.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saturday: After my wife had a free lesson at my club last week, we planned to go and play nine hole pitch and putt at Rickmansworth this Saturday. She was looking forward to it and I was too actually. We got there and I was glad I didn't book ahead because the guy there told me it was in such poor condition at the moment that they're not charging people to play on it! Suits me fine, she won't care about the condition and we get on for free, happy days. So we teed off the first in bright sunshine. But by the time we putted out the heavens just opened out of absolutely nowhere and it was a bloody monsoon. We stood under the brolly for a few minutes but it really wasn't going anywhere, absolute buckets. So we had to sack it off after only one hole and leg it back inside. Such a disappointment.

Sunday: Usual three-ball at the club. One of my mates hasn't played for a good month so good to have him back. None of us played great but I was the tallest dwarf so to speak, picking up the win with an 87. No pars on the front nine, largely thanks to some poor putting, but managed a birdie on the 9th after a 75 yard pitch to about 18 inches. Good up & down on the 10th for par as well and hoped I had turned a corner, but only made two more pars after that. Final nail was at the 15th just as it is most weeks. Tried to hit the draw with the driver I've been working on, got no draw, hit a tree on the right and had no idea which direction it went. ? 32 Stableford points.

D

Deleted member 21258

Hit ball well, didn't get up and down once, three/four putted, shot 86, grr.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good round today 8 over sadly dropped one shot because of a fly that decided to buzz my head just as I was about to putt.

Just outside the prizes needed a 6 over to get 2nd on countback. Lost my third place to the last player in.

Highlight of the round was a 2 on the par 4 18th. That was one of my 'want to' ticked off the list just 2 par 4s to go to have eagled them all.