I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
It was our Championship today and I won!! unlike most recent rounds I kept calm and played steadily with a morning round of 84, In the afternoon I scored 39 on the front nine and 44 on the back thanks to a triple bogey 6 on the last, I think adrenalin got the better of me because I took my 125 yds club and flew the green and out of bounds (about 150 yds or more).
So delighted and also had 2 good rounds which has reversed the trend of my handicap going up.

Big congratulations!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played awful golf on most of the back 9 on Saturday, but then found something on the last couple of holes.

Then played a scratch knock out match yesterday, and won 3 & 2.
Only 1 putt missed from within 6 feet (for a birdie), level par back 9 and into the quarter final, where I'll meet a +1 handicapper.

On Saturday I played with a +4 handicapper, who hits it a mile (310 average on trackman according to one of our pros). Absolute pleasure to watch. I hit a decent ball, carrying 250-260 with a good one, but he takes lines I'd never dream of. Think I'll nickname him Wilco.
Yes I play with two big hitters a bit.
They take lines I could not even attempt.
Their ball striking is fantastic.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another rank weather day...is this late June or Mid-November?
Played pretty well, 19 points out.
Kept it going until about the 16th and i think fatigue just kicked in..started to struggle.
Dropped 4 shots on 16 and 17 but gave myself a talking to and parred the 18th for 34 points total.
Not really that bad in the conditions.
Must have had some serious rain in the night as we actually had puddles in some bunkers:eek:

D

Deleted member 21258

Been struggling, measured swing and was about 10 out to in.:eek: been shooting high 80s/90s and losing lots of balls.:whistle:

Lots of practise to change the path a bit more neutral, feels mental still but a work in progress. Last few games back to low 80s. Handicap back to 8.9 from a high 9.6, the new EG app and WHS works great.

Need to get rid of the approx 3 doubles in the round, rather 4 to 6 of doubles plus variant.:LOL:

Played Hawkstone, shot 80 for a scoring diff 9.00.

Played Ganton 34 holes on a day trip, brilliant weather and millionaires golf in the evening, got back home to bed just before 1am. Shot 82 for a 9.2 scoring diff.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Returned to Whittington Heath today, the course where I played my first Old School Challenge match with Bigfoot, garyinderry and dan2844 just over 5 years ago and the love affair with vintage clubs began. :D

Today was a Seniors Open and in the bag I had 1980s Mizuno White Fang woods (it was raining so didn't want to play wooden woods), 1970s Slazenger Ambassador irons, a Harold Bird & Son wedge from that first set 5 years ago, and a Slazenger Ambassador putter.

Started well and had 20 points after nine, a couple of wobbles on the back nine saw me on the 18th tee with 35 points.
The 18th is a long par 4. I pulled my tee shot into the rough but played a good recovery and had an 8 iron to the green, shanked it into the deep rough! :eek:
My first and only shank of the round and I was still on my original ball at the time, dropped one down and played 5 to the green but couldn't hole the long putt so blobbed.
Annoying but still one of my best competition scores of the year.

I saw some proposals a few years ago for the remodeling of Whittington Heath after HS2 has gone through and they were pretty poor in my eyes, water features and the sort of malarkey that doesn't suit a heathland course, more like The Belfry. Luckily what I saw today was much better and the course should be very good when finished.

Below are pictures of the old and the new clubhouses. The old one is to be saved apparently, if they can find somewhere to move it brick by brick.

1624897939500.png
1624898060162.png

D

Deleted member 3432

Ploughed my way round this morning.

Flat calm and hot was obviously way out of my comfort zone, give me a 2 club breeze and low teens temps any day.

Fancied my chances of level par or better on the drive to the course and warmed up hitting it nice. Then golf bit me on the arse as soon as I walked on the 1st tee :ROFLMAO:

Played this game long enough that I should have known what was going to happen....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Returned to Whittington Heath today, the course where I played my first Old School Challenge match with Bigfoot, garyinderry and dan2844 just over 5 years ago and the love affair with vintage clubs began. :D

Today was a Seniors Open and in the bag I had 1980s Mizuno White Fang woods (it was raining so didn't want to play wooden woods), 1970s Slazenger Ambassador irons, a Harold Bird & Son wedge from that first set 5 years ago, and a Slazenger Ambassador putter.

Started well and had 20 points after nine, a couple of wobbles on the back nine saw me on the 18th tee with 35 points.
The 18th is a long par 4. I pulled my tee shot into the rough but played a good recovery and had an 8 iron to the green, shanked it into the deep rough! :eek:
My first and only shank of the round and I was still on my original ball at the time, dropped one down and played 5 to the green but couldn't hole the long putt so blobbed.
Annoying but still one of my best competition scores of the year.

I saw some proposals a few years ago for the remodeling of Whittington Heath after HS2 has gone through and they were pretty poor in my eyes, water features and the sort of malarkey that doesn't suit a heathland course, more like The Belfry. Luckily what I saw today was much better and the course should be very good when finished.

Below are pictures of the old and the new clubhouses. The old one is to be saved apparently, if they can find somewhere to move it brick by brick.

View attachment 37280
View attachment 37281

Really enjoyed that day. Cracking wee course. Perfect course for the vintage clubs as it's not a sloggers course if you play the right tees.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shot a great 81 net 66,today, could have been better, couldn't it always. A six on the opening 1st, a par three, and a six on the easy 7th, where I smashed a 8 iron way over 150 yards through the green ????????? then dropped a nine iron dead centre and two putted.

But.....the wife was going along really well and ended up with.....a 98 !!!! THe 100 barrier has been broken. With a lost ball on the 8th, how???? Lord knows, we just couldn't find it. It landed in fairly short grass. And four putts that lipped the holes. So there's anther six shots. Anyway...the 100 has been broken.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Played in the royal Liverpool open day Today. What a great experience, all the staff made you feel very special. Course was in it’s always impeccable condition. Laid out as 2014 course n Sunday pins. You really got to just appreciate how good the pros are. The new championship 17th could be a game changer in 2023. Only short but boy do you need to be accurate. A very special day, thanks to Royal Liverpool and the staff.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played my KO ties for the club champs last night, its scratch off the very back tee. Was a nice evening with an easterly. Played well on the front 9 considering he is off +3 and carried the ball at least 50 past my Sunday best. AS at the turn, but once back into the wind the diff really showed, lost 10, 12,13 andv14 as he easily reached the green in reg including the par 5 10th with an iron still where I was driver ,3 wood and still 40 yards short. Lost 4/3 which was not a surprise as I was effectively giving away 6 shots to someone far better. This kid could play. The sound off the strike was amazing and he,s not the best youngster at the club either. Only downside was you could hardly get a word out of him, at least he didn't have a caddie like one of the other matches my mate played in against another young lad off +2, he said the never spoke to him at all and he got humpedvas well:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

Played my KO ties for the club champs last night, its scratch off the very back tee. Was a nice evening with an easterly. Played well on the front 9 considering he is off +3 and carried the ball at least 50 past my Sunday best. AS at the turn, but once back into the wind the diff really showed, lost 10, 12,13 andv14 as he easily reached the green in reg including the par 5 10th with an iron still where I was driver ,3 wood and still 40 yards short. Lost 4/3 which was not a surprise as I was effectively giving away 6 shots to someone far better. This kid could play. The sound off the strike was amazing and he,s not the best youngster at the club either. Only downside was you could hardly get a word out of him, at least he didn't have a caddie like one of the other matches my mate played in against another young lad off +2, he said the never spoke to him at all and he got humpedvas well:ROFLMAO:
I would class that as a win, young lad that good should be thrashing you..?

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This game just does your head in sometimes. Played Saturday, 38 points, struck it well & kept in on the short stuff off the tee (apart from one hole) - played Sunday in a comp, 26 points, felt I was holding the club the wrong way round, had the full repertoire off the tee (hook, push, slice, top, sky) and barely found the short stuff

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for nine holes on my own at 5pm tonight - Three ball in front of me called me through as I putted on first green and after that there was nobody in front, or soon after, behind me. Don't know what to think of my game at the moment - shambolic but manageable would be a good description. But it was nice weather out there and I kind of scrambled it round reasonably OK.

I've been hitting all my drives right recently and on the ninth tee with nobody around and plenty of room I hit four tee shots - first three went straight right - not in any trouble but all off the fairway - suddenly thought about whether I was aiming correctly so teed a ball up and put my head cover on the line I should be aiming at a couple of feet in front of my ball - lined up to hit over that and it landed in the middle of the fairway. Felt like I was aiming miles left though.

Round the nine holes in an hour without ever rushing and wandered home to watch the second half of the football.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
County Seniors league match versus Staffordshire at my home club playing with my regular partner. halved the morning foresomes and 3 down after 8 in the BB in the afternoon. Woke up and he won the next 2 and I birdied the 11 to square it all up , then won 13 with a par, 14 and 15th with birdies and they conceded my birdie putt on 16 for a 4&3 win with team winning overall :D

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
18 on the Ashludie tonight - 41 out 41 back with only a couple of drives well hit, took the SIM D Max driver to confirm it is getting sold - absolutely hate the sound it makes.

Irons were much better than recently and I putted pretty well for first time in a while. Light breeze from the south east and absolutely lovely weather - was mainly a pleasure.

And missus won the ladies comp for the second Wednesday running.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well today was a heck of a day

Wife decided to sign up and do the 72 hole challenge for Macmillan Cancer - I was politely informed that I would be joining her ???

First round started at 6:30 , finished the last round at 19:00 - it was tough , mentally towards the end as the energy was drained , but chuffed to finish