I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gave a fella 16 shots in midweek k/o match which was a bit of a challenge...but came out 4 and 3. Played well and solid a couple under my PH front nine and as he was not firing on all cylinders he was unable to make use of his shots and we turned with me 5 up, pretty much it at that point. And I only had to ask him to mark his ball twice ?

Always an unknown when giving so many shots (though it’s usually only one per hole) and what happens first few holes can determine how i play. Today it became obvious quite quickly that I could play conservatively and safely - and I’d be able to avoid playing certain types of shots that are currently causing me trouble, confident that if I just played steady I’d likely come out OK.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out on the Ashludie for the Wednesday stableford - my third comp since rejoining and the best I've played over 18 holes. Nothing spectacular but steady golf, generally hit my irons solidly and putted the best I have in the last year or so - partly thanks to watching a YouTube video featuring Karl Morris about 'The lost art of putting' which changed the way I was thinking about putts.

Ended up with 37 points after my birdie putt at 18 shaved the hole - and as I suspected was one point short of winning. Ah well enjoyable, decent enough round with the hope of better to come and chilly(ish) but absolutely gorgeous weather out there.

DSCF5982.jpg
Approach to 9th green: Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

DSCF5986.jpg
10th green: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

DSCF5990.jpg
Playing into the sun down the 16th: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

DSCF5994.jpg
Waiting to play the approach to the 18th green: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Played in my first match for the club last night. Weather was nuts. Flat calm and freezing interspersed with random 2 minute periods of gale force wind with rain/sleet and finished off by lightning on the 15th when we walked in. Luckily we had won 6 and 4 by then.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought a Tensei Blue shaft to put in my driver off eBay .
Head came off on the third hole ,clean as a whistle.
Shaft had separated from adapter ,all the glue was on the shaft not a thing on the adapter.
Looks like they never prepped it properly.
Head went about 50yds ball went hook left.
Good job there wasn’t any water.
Off to get some Araldite.

AliMc

Visit site
Another day of sunshine and showers (some hail) at Dunbar today, when is this unsettled spell of weather going to end, lost a good match 3&2, mostly due to my pp and me holing nothing, got an open pairs now at The Roxburghe on Saturday and guess what it's forecast to rain ?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played Moor Allerton for the first time today and what a fantastic course across the 10-27 loop. The 18th was a toughie and I inevitably put the ball in the green side water! 28 stableford points, first time out with my new irons and on new course - I’ll take that.

No wonder Peter Aliss was a big fan and member. It’s probably a shame for the course that it’s so close to Moortown and Alwoodley

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Moor Allerton for the first time today and what a fantastic course across the 10-27 loop. The 18th was a toughie and I inevitably put the ball in the green side water! 28 stableford points, first time out with my new irons and on new course - I’ll take that.

No wonder Peter Aliss was a big fan and member. It’s probably a shame for the course that it’s so close to Moortown and Alwoodley
I think 10-18 are a superb stretch of holes. A real test, one I failed, but absolutely fair. I thought 19-27 didn't compare well and were pretty average. I'd love to play again and try 1-18 to see if 1-9 fare better.

It's a fabulous place all round though, I'm a big fan, and nowhere near as pricey as the other 2 courses you mention (both top notch of course). We need a member to join the forum and arrange a meet ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out on the Ashludie for the Wednesday stableford - my third comp since rejoining and the best I've played over 18 holes. Nothing spectacular but steady golf, generally hit my irons solidly and putted the best I have in the last year or so - partly thanks to watching a YouTube video featuring Karl Morris about 'The lost art of putting' which changed the way I was thinking about putts.

Ended up with 37 points after my birdie putt at 18 shaved the hole - and as I suspected was one point short of winning. Ah well enjoyable, decent enough round with the hope of better to come and chilly(ish) but absolutely gorgeous weather out there.

View attachment 36480
Approach to 9th green: Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

View attachment 36483
10th green: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

View attachment 36482
Playing into the sun down the 16th: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

View attachment 36481
Waiting to play the approach to the 18th green: : Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

I was going to ask how the hell is the course looking so good this time of year in Scotland, but then I looked at the visitors price. Bonkers. What's the membership cost?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
First K/O comp as a senior. Won by the 12th. Bloke conceded the match. Christ it was cold. I was 5 up. I was only giving him 2 shots. Thing is, it's off our proper whites. I did not know this. There's no way he'd got a chance in hell. I'd 15 years+ on the guy and 50 yards distance. Off yellows maybe. But our "proper" whites, where the damned stake is in the ground, miles back from the normal white blokes, so the full course, its gonna take a solid striker of the ball off 25+ to beat me. This isn't bragging. I'm shocking at match play, but OMG off our full course v the proper oldies they are gonna need a lot of shots to keep up. Hell, one tee shot he only just made the water into a breeze. I cleared it no mither so he was chasing me all hole and having to put his sunday best off every drive wore him down. Nice chap though. City fan. Great company. But I did feel a bit of a fraud. Most of the blokes can't see my ball as it goes to far for them to see.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I was going to ask how the hell is the course looking so good this time of year in Scotland, but then I looked at the visitors price. Bonkers. What's the membership cost?
You can get a round on this course for £25 on Golf Now - The Medal course costs a fair bit more (£95 in the summer)

Edit to say - there's one £25 tee time on Golf Now for the Medal course at lunchtime on Sunday 16th May.

My links season ticket for both courses cost £540 this year. My club membership on top of that was about £150 so total is about £700 for two courses

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played just the back 9 tonight, and the 1st hole. The wind was an awkward cross wind and swirling, which is unusual for this place. Making it very difficult to tell whether it was helping or hurting, so club selection was hard.

10 and 11 run in the same direction. My second into 10 was a very well struck 7 iron that came up a full club short. My 3rd (par 5) into 11 with a pitching wedge, cleared the green on the fly. I had 110 to a front pin.

I was let through on 12, which is short par 3 over water. Hit a flush 9 iron straight at the flag. Even held my pose, and uttered the words "go in". And in it went, into the pond. The wind switched just at the top of its flight and killed it, and missed dry land by about 6 inches.
What is it about being let through that makes these things happen ?‍♀️.

From there I actually played pretty well and frustratingly missed a birdie putt on SI 2. Finally carding 43.

As I'd got round quickly, I thought I'd see if I could get round the front 9 too.
Hit a perfect tee shot to leave me 110 to the pin. Hit a perfect gap wedge to 2 feet, holed the birdie putt and walked in ?. Best to leave on a high note.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Took a look at the forecast for tomorrow and hastily arranged a 7.30 tee off this morning. Weather was wonderful and the golf not too bad either.. Won on the 17th, hitting it nicely at the mo.

Little view of 9th green, with 10th fairway beyond. Doesn't really show the slope on the green, which is considerable! :)9th.jpg

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Put a card in today....29 points
Best for a while but still wildly inconsistent...and it's not just one thing...
It's knocked one of my best 8, also my 20th, off my list so expecting an increase tomorrow morning.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played a Stableford comp today, 35 points at 95% so should be 36 at course handicap and no change to the index.
14 front nine, 21 back nine. Should have been better but had two shanks and they resulted in a blob each time. :oops::mad:

I've got a couple of dodgy rounds at positions 19 and 20 so fingers crossed for the chance to get a good score in and see a reduction in my index.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Forecast when I looked this morning was for 90% change of rain between 5pm and 7pm - but although we had a couple of heavy showers during the day it was sunny at 5pm as I teed off on the Medal course - there were several biggish rain storms around but they went down the river Tay instead of across the course - as often happens.

Lovely out there, short sleeves and a breeze helping a little on the first 6 holes, played the front nine without seeing anyone else and then joined up with another single to play in 16-17-18.

Off to Fife in the morning so will call in at St Andrews Academy range for a hit.

IMG_5179.jpg
3rd green, Monifieth Medal, with rain on the Tay in the background.

IMG_5180.jpg
7th green, Monifieth Medal.

IMG_5185.jpg
Approach to 8th green, Monifieth Medal.

IMG_5187.jpg
New bunkers going in on the left of the 17th green, Monifieth Medal.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had the afternoon off to get a round in. I finally putted well at the new course! Only one three putt, 30 putts total for the round. Shame the rest of my game went down the toilet. Pitching, short irons awful, long game was pushing everything right, a few stupid decisions as well. Shot 93 for 28 points. My worst round since we were allowed back. At least I sorted that putting out though eh? :rolleyes:

Just as an extra note, I tried looking at the hole for putting instead of the ball. I find it really difficult to do, and it actually made me nervous that I was going to make shocking contact with the ball, but I did also hole some putts this way. I think I might just do it for the little 3 footers and so on that I should hole but often miss.