I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always an option to just give golf a rest for a month, hit reset, and come back when it starts again.
Indeed but my game is a mess and was working on a takeaway move. Sadly I need to hit a ball regularly to keep any semblance of timing as my first attempts after the last lockdown testified. I paid a lot for the net (more than I should have) so seems sensible to put it to some use

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
played Nairn this morning, chilly to start then it got quite pleasant by the 4th, no wind a bright sunshine.

played 4 games in a row and was feeling it by the 15th today, lost a bit of energy, though i managed to play reasonable.

hit a few crackers with the new irons again, shots that were at least 2 clubs less than my old ones, even slow Dave was impressed with them.

think i'm going to take a couple of days off now, making Cider Tomorrow(y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did some work with the Visio mat and gates with a blade and my milled Odyssey #9. No nearer finding one I prefer. Want to use the #9 but so inconsistent on the course so a blade a compromise but poor on the short putts and fees light and stroke does a loop the loop which takes me back to the Odyssey 2-ball Fang

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Cheers, they do look good.
Also maybe you shoud go easy on the mead and roast swan.. ;)

Funny though, I used the Puttout plastic hole on the mat and rarely ever missed, must have hit 100 putts but when I take it away my putting faults materialise - too many left short and the odd pull left. Plenty of practice needed! So lots of mead and swan needed to keep up the strength ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They're mostly pretty good. I quibbled with the positioning of some because I felt they didn't properly consider how the course plays from the red tees for varying standards of female player. But there's none that are silly. Some holes definitely improved by the repositioning and just the quality and playability of all the bunkers has been a massive plus.

Haven't played Nairn since before the changes - big issues with them?
Yes most are in the wrong place for the members, all in place for play from the black tes and even some of those are, still wrong. a few holes where they are on a good drive middle of the fairway from the white tee at between 230 and 250. Also a few that stop a running shot into the green. other place i've played where they had done the same was Bruntsfield. made it a blasters course, where it was an old fashioned Links course where you could plut your way round witha few holes worth the risk of driver now its a succession of lay up holes

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes most are in the wrong place for the members, all in place for play from the black tes and even some of those are, still wrong. a few holes where they are on a good drive middle of the fairway from the white tee at between 230 and 250. Also a few that stop a running shot into the green. other place i've played where they had done the same was Bruntsfield. made it a blasters course, where it was an old fashioned Links course where you could plot your way round witha few holes worth the risk of driver now its a succession of lay up holes

Stopping a running shot into a links green is just riduculous.

Classic example of modern course designers not understanding how the game is played by majority of golfers.

Fairway bunkering positioned for elite level golf, brilliant :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Stopping a running shot into a links green is just riduculous.

Classic example of modern course designers not understanding how the game is played by majority of golfers.

Fairway bunkering positioned for elite level golf, brilliant :rolleyes:
its fine of the blacks as you can't reach the bunkers off the tees, but you then can;t reach a few of the greens as there is a bunker in the way stopping the runing shot. don't get me wrong there has been some positives, you can advance the ball out of the fairways bunkers and some of the greenside pot bunkers have been changed to be more forgiving and there are far less greenside bunkers than there were, but course is now 3 shots harder for me and most of the guys i play with who are not big hitters, most of the comps this year have been won by all the young guys who hit the ball a long way off the tee. was afair split before between different handicaps, as older cat 1 guys still stood a chance, now its a blasters paradise

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Think we avoided those sort of issues. Some debate around the exact positioning but nothing quite like that. One hole doesn’t really work where they added bunkers to encourage players further left to keep it “on the property” but still playable for everyone
it was the lady members that got the changes though after being told the course would be easier and more playble for them, once they had seen them in the flesh loads wanted to leave and many are still not happy. there is talk some bunkers will be removed once we have had the Am next year, but who knows

D

Deleted member 3432

its fine of the blacks as you can't reach the bunkers off the tees, but you then can;t reach a few of the greens as there is a bunker in the way stopping the runing shot. don't get me wrong there has been some positives, you can advance the ball out of the fairways bunkers and some of the greenside pot bunkers have been changed to be more forgiving and there are far less greenside bunkers than there were, but course is now 3 shots harder for me and most of the guys i play with who are not big hitters, most of the comps this year have been won by all the young guys who hit the ball a long way off the tee. was afair split before between different handicaps, as older cat 1 guys still stood a chance, now its a blasters paradise

Maybe its time to join Dornoch?

Seems a shame to totally change the playing characteristics of the course for the members just to host big amateur events, very short sighted.

We are fortunate to have only a couple of fairway bunkers in play off the tee where you have to make a decision to take them on or not but wind usually makes decision for you!

Our main course defence is the heather on a lot of the holes so straight hitting is not penalised.

The rough was grown higher for the English Amateur in 2012 and there were a lot of irons hit off the tee, I assume the same will be the same for the Carris Trophy in 2022 and once the comp is over a quick haircut and we will have our course back and playable for the members.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe its time to join Dornoch?

Seems a shame to totally change the playing characteristics of the course for the members just to host big amateur events, very short sighted.

We are fortunate to have only a couple of fairway bunkers in play off the tee where you have to make a decision to take them on or not but wind usually makes decision for you!

Our main course defence is the heather on a lot of the holes so straight hitting is not penalised.

The rough was grown higher for the English Amateur in 2012 and there were a lot of irons hit off the tee, I assume the same will be the same for the Carris Trophy in 2022 and once the comp is over a quick haircut and we will have our course back and playable for the members.

i don't think i would ever do that, its 50 miles and its busy with yanks in a usual summer/

one of the main issues was M&E left the place in a mess, some area's where they took diggers over the course have still not recovered, then there was the heather debarcle, someone ?? decided to put heather on the tops of all of the fairway bunkers which is completly out of character on a links course, they dug big clumps of it out the roungh, leaving massive holes where there was once heather, its still not been put right. a couple of bunkers were also moved as they then dec to fill in the burn on the 2nd, leaving a real mess there too.

D

Deleted member 3432

i don't think i would ever do that, its 50 miles and its busy with yanks in a usual summer/

one of the main issues was M&E left the place in a mess, some area's where they took diggers over the course have still not recovered, then there was the heather debarcle, someone ?? decided to put heather on the tops of all of the fairway bunkers which is completly out of character on a links course, they dug big clumps of it out the roungh, leaving massive holes where there was once heather, its still not been put right. a couple of bunkers were also moved as they then dec to fill in the burn on the 2nd, leaving a real mess there too.

No excuse leaving the place a mess, any decent contractor should be able to carry out work on a links and leave very little sign of disturbance behind them.

Agree that heather on top of the bunkers is a stupid idea but someone at the club must have signed off on it.

Sounds like you are going to have to bite the bullet and seriously bulk up ala Bryson if you want to compete at Nairn if Dornoch is a no go :eek::ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Game at Nairn this morning, chilly start but warmed up to what is now a great day. played absolute......tripe wasn't helped that i got drawn with two new guys who didn't attempt to repair a single pitch mark or even try to smooth over any of the bunkers if they had been in them, my other PP had a go at both of them, not that they took any notice
N1.jpgN2.jpg