I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 3432

Two air shots in the first 3 holes doesn't do your confidence much good.

Both within 20 ft of the pin off downhill lies in thick stuff. Amazing how after more than 40 years of golf you forget everything you know about playing from this sort of lie and make some sort of non turning chopping motion with your arms that cuts across and in front of ball. :oops::oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just as well no comps at present, .1 would been assured after the 3rd.

Didn't hit a proper shot in the first 6 holes but played steady after that without holing anything, putting stroke was was a little out of sorts and not quite hitting my lines.

Five games in five weeks not really enough with no practice in between. Little boy back at school Monday for 4 weeks so 2 games a week for the next month and may get to the range.

Course not as fiery as it was but still playing firm and fast.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Another interesting range session trying to get the change from my recent lesson to kick start. Feeling the posture is taller (and fractionally closer) but trying to take the club away better. I have a habit of snatching it inside and lifting the club head up. Trying to turn and get the club outside the hands. Gets me in a nice high arm position and easier to then let it drop, turn and clear. It's coming, and hard into a left to right wind but the strike is good. Nipped out and played four holes (216 yard par 3, 502 yard par 5, 126 yard par 3 and 400 yard par 4). Struggled with pulls off the tee but everything else was good. Level 2's so steady

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Another card in, another 0.1 back....and a damn good soaking to boot...
Missed buffer by 3 shots having given the course a 2 hole head start by blobbing the first 2...1st hole I had a 40 yard pitch for a point :oops:
But then I woke up a little and scraped 12 on the next 7 to turn well behind target.
And then things clicked into gear and I played the back 9 in 3 over for 20 points...
So 8.7 is the new mark but I feel I'm getting closer to working the course out.
And Fragger got beaten on count back.....:D

His opening tee shot was truly awful, so close to an air shot, it went about 10 feet,
The second shot was so good he was still short of the red tees after 2 ?

Anyway, enough of that, I never really got going on the front 9, turning with 14, 2 in front of himself.

Much better back 9 for 18 points including a sandy par on the last for 32 points, missing buffer by one and losing on count back.

I had 5 lip out putts, so could have easily been a totally different story, but considering the weather conditions ( I’m still drying off) i can’t be too unhappy.

Had a really constructive lesson afterwards so bring on Monday ?

Handicap is now active at 21.6, target 18

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
His opening tee shot was truly awful, so close to an air shot, it went about 10 feet,

Anyway, enough of that, I never really got going on the front 9, turning with 14, 2 in front of himself.

Much better back 9 for 18 points including a sandy par on the last for 32 points, missing buffer by one and losing on count back.

I had 5 lip out putts, so could have easily been a totally different story, but considering the weather conditions ( I’m still drying off) i can’t be too unhappy.

What happened in the lesson. What did you work on (and avoided the temptation to say so much). Is the YOTF back on

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
What happened in the lesson. What did you work on (and avoided the temptation to say so much). Is the YOTF back on

My natural swing is very high meaning I chop down on the ball and it’s all arms. we were working on lowering the arms to promote rotation, Also tempo and weight transfer.

Just need to take it to the course ?

Eagle2

Visit site

You would never wish it on anyone but it helps hearing the better players can do this sort of thing too ;-)

Real mixed feelings from my match today... I won after "some" of the worst golf I have played and almost felt guilty for the win - anyone had that before? I played a guy off 10 (giving me 5 shots) and think I just played the format really well. I was 3 down after the 4th and other than 1 halved hole on the front 9 found myself yo yo'ing between 2 and 3 down until the 10th.

It was at this point I think I switched my game on and managed to win 3 in a row only losing one hole on the back 9. We (virtually) shook hands on the 18 after saving the hole with a great approach shot.

Looking back now I guess I did play some good golf but it feels weird being down pretty much all match and only taking the lead with 2 holes to go... I only took advantage on 3 of the holes I had a shot on and would have easily been 55+ blows for the front 9 had it have been strokebplay.

On to the medal tomorrow :oops:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I bet his opening tee shot was still past yours ???

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Went out for 18 holes this evening and deliberately didn't keep a score total - very relaxed and tried shots I wouldn't normally at times - nearly had a hole in one on the 3rd - that's twice in the last week I've been within inches of holing my tee shot there. Out again tomorrow.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You would never wish it on anyone but it helps hearing the better players can do this sort of thing too ;-)

Real mixed feelings from my match today... I won after "some" of the worst golf I have played and almost felt guilty for the win - anyone had that before? I played a guy off 10 (giving me 5 shots) and think I just played the format really well. I was 3 down after the 4th and other than 1 halved hole on the front 9 found myself yo yo'ing between 2 and 3 down until the 10th.

It was at this point I think I switched my game on and managed to win 3 in a row only losing one hole on the back 9. We (virtually) shook hands on the 18 after saving the hole with a great approach shot.

Looking back now I guess I did play some good golf but it feels weird being down pretty much all match and only taking the lead with 2 holes to go... I only took advantage on 3 of the holes I had a shot on and would have easily been 55+ blows for the front 9 had it have been strokebplay.

On to the medal tomorrow :oops:
Had that on Tuesday. Played atrociously. Everything off the tee a weak slice about 150 yards and each club in the bag down on distance and leaking. Really couldn't put a swing on it. Pitched, chipped and got out of bunkers brilliantly to shoot 34 points but where I got some pleasure from the quality of the short game I really didn't enjoy the golfing experience

jamiet7682

Visit site
Shot 41 and 44 this week (par 33), well happy with that. Second round had to putt with my hybrid as realised when i got to the first green i had left putter in the house. Didnt putt any worse with the hybrid strangely enough.
Puting my first card in for handicap on tuesday so lets see how much i crumble with a card in my hand. Anything under 50 will do me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
After Thursdays Hickory game my tempo was so much better Friday, regained my distance and even hit some good shots with the 3 wood.

must make a effort to play some hickory at least once a week

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well somedays it just all comes together:).

Early tee time with enough of a westerly to get your attention. Struck the ball pretty well with some good scrambling and excellent lag putting to avoid any double bogies. Finished with 76 blows which, off the back tees (par 71, SSS 73), is my best round ever on the West Links.

Shame it wasn't a qualifier - but then again with card in hand it would probably never have happened ! :LOL:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
First qualifier in 9 months, first since joining a new course, and a medal - what could possibly go wrong! ? Thankfully a friendly face playing with Simon from here to help me settle.
Seemed having the card maybe helped, scrambled pretty well and was level to handicap after 9. Frustratingly left a few putts in the jaws down the stretch for a net 75, which is most likely 1 out of buffer ?
Still, probably would've taken that if offered it early this morning. And besides, we should enjoy 0.1s while we still can ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played in stableford qualifier - first competitive round since BCV, and very pleased with my 37pts and no ‘passes’ (aka unmentionables). Nice 0.2 cut but doubt anywhere good enough to get in our div 1 frame. But you never know given a good bit of a breeze. Course in lovely condition.