I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My dads old advantage irons. Made in scotland. 1 3 and 5 woods and a forged 2 iron that I added which is the same style as the irons. First time using that. 2 good hits and 1 awful slice.

The irons went so much better than I thought they would. No gap wedge. Just pw and sw. No lob either. Kept things very simple. Rough was long so any green side chips were done using the sw.

Putted using an old bullseye.

First tee. Awful swing. Just glad not to top it and look like a complete pillock. Haha

I remember now, good clubs.
Gap wedges are a fairly recent addition to peoples bags to make up for the loft jacking that's gone on over the last 40 years, 1980s PW = 50 degrees, Mizuno MP-20 PW = 46 degrees, Callaway Epic Forged PW = 41 degrees.

If you're only going to get one thing right in golf then it should be hitting from the first tee, well done!

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Setup a 10 match series #Matchplay for £5 v my pal to add a bit of pressure lost 4&2 - putting has gone completely since return. luckily my new M5 fairway is a rocket ship and regular shaft over stiff was a good move (cheers MacLeanoard custom fit for the info on GC2)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we allowed to be frustrated with our own play yet? (apologies to our friends in Scotland). A really enjoyable 9 holes with my regular Saturday morning pp last night. First time we have met up since all of this began so it was good to chat away, particularly with a different person. Lovely night, a little breezy at times, quiet course. The fairways are firm due to the lack of rain so the ball is bouncing along beautifully. For the first time in around 8 months I can reach a number of our par 4 holes in two :D. Hybrids are flitting between dreamy and not at all dreamy. I think I am over analysing at times which is causing me not to strike freely. When I am not hitting stiffly it is going like a dream, hence the frustration in my first sentence.

I finished bursting to get back out again and improve my consistency, sounds about normal.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fairways are firm due to the lack of rain so the ball is bouncing along beautifully. For the first time in around 8 months I can reach a number of our par 4 holes in two :D. Hybrids are flitting between dreamy and not at all dreamy. I think I am over analysing at times which is causing me not to strike freely. When I am not hitting stiffly it is going like a dream, hence the frustration in my first sentence.

I finished bursting to get back out again and improve my consistency, sounds about normal.

Can you treat each shot as a practice swing with a ball in the way?

Visit site
Are we allowed to be frustrated with our own play yet? (apologies to our friends in Scotland).

Bloody hell yes. I've played 4 rounds in 8 days and the first three were each worse than the last - probably because I was too earnest and tried too hard.

Yesterday I played with my regular playing partner (kids in the same class at primary school) and as our club has made the move to allow supplemental cards to be submitted I decided to get one in and try and bring my 35 handicap down to a more representative level. I then proceeded to start 8, 7, 6. Carded no fewer than 3 7s but also had some very solid holes and made it round in 97, which for me is about as good as it has ever been - certainly at this club. Something like 41 Stableford points, so hopefully I can start geting the handicap down to non-bandit levels now the courses are in such good condition.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you treat each shot as a practice swing with a ball in the way?
If only :LOL:. You are absolutely right, my practice swing is a lovely easy tempo and would be ideal (I'm not kidding myself it is like Ernie but you get the gist). The battle to hit the ball with that swing is a constant one. Maybe hypnosis is the answer.

I might write your quote down and put it on my bag. It would be a good reminder (y)

D

Deleted member 21258

First tee. Awful swing. Just glad not to top it and look like a complete pillock. Haha

Loving the commentary:LOL: You done well to hit the ball.

I do that sometimes to a group I play with, they decided to get their revenge, and one time they put earplugs in, on the 1st tee. Spoilsports ;):D

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another enjoyable 9 holes this morning, played great for the first 6 holes and beat my mate 4&3, then seemed to switch off entirely for the last 3 holes.

Driver still staying firmly in the bag as the hybrid is going so well. Putting is the only thing letting me down, may have to try that with the hybrid tomorrow :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fragger sent me a text this morning wondering when I'd like my backside handing to me again....
We met up at 12.30.
He is, by far, the most frustrating player ever in the history of golf
1 point from the first 5 holes, 8 from the next 3 and a blob to finish.
Simply unreal
It was I, however, that did the backside handing today.
A fairly steady 16 points - importantly no blobs for a change - with one lost ball on 7 but recovered to par with the 2nd ball for a point.
Much better, much smoother, much better tempo
Shock horror....actually looked almost like a golfer for a while.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Fragger sent me a text this morning wondering when I'd like my backside handing to me again....
We met up at 12.30.
He is, by far, the most frustrating player ever in the history of golf
1 point from the first 5 holes, 8 from the next 3 and a blob to finish.
Simply unreal
It was I, however, that did the backside handing today.
A fairly steady 16 points - importantly no blobs for a change - with one lost ball on 7 but recovered to par with the 2nd ball for a point.
Much better, much smoother, much better tempo
Shock horror....actually looked almost like a golfer for a while.

What with those legs?

Well played Bro (y)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
4th post lockdown round and it’s starting to come together really nicely already. 2 very avoidable double bogeys on the 2 front 9 par 3’s where High lobs were required and I didn’t have the confidence but birdied 18 for the second time in a row.
Gross 81, nett 69 (-3) no lost balls.

Grizzly

Visit site
Made it on to the course today after a 2100 booking last night. Yes, it was a £7 12 hole round at the reopened Uxbridge municipal course, but actually I had an excellent time, and noted something I read in GM a few months back to the effect that there is something to enjoy on most every course. Quite pleased to make a kick in birdie at 11 too! :)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a great afternoon playing with my twin.
We both played well ..................... but I played better!
I think the fact that I only had one horror chip made the difference.
One blob, two reloads and two lip outs shows me what I just might be able to do.
Oh, I played to my handicap, too.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very enjoyable session on the practice ground working on my irons alongside a Geordie member off 7 so plenty of banter. Found something for my irons and distance seemed back to normal. Pitching was good too. Looking forward to 11.00 tomorrow now although those 30+mph gusts forecast could make it interesting

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn’t pull lucky with a random PP yesterday. He has been playing golf for all of 1 week....
2 fresh air shots and 5 hits to get to the fairway on the first. FML!!!
Felt like a very long round