I Phones

chipping

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi,
Looking at the I phones, anybody on here got one, are they any good,or can you suggest something else,nearly at the end of my contract with 3, so having a look for something else.
Thanks.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got one, love it, get it.

They are great bits of equipment, and if you get the new version, which is out today I think, then it will be much better. The only gripes I have with mine are the camera (although not a massive problem as I don't use it too much) which is only 2mega pixel. The new one has a 3 mega pixel (still not outstanding) and auto focus.

My major issue is with battery life, which has now also been improved, apparently.

Yes, I would definitely recommend one, but get the new one.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
Wait, before you fall for a gimmicky iphone, think about what you want/need. Have a look at what phones tick your boxes and then choose.

The iphone camera is only 2mp, with no flash and no zoom !!!! No secondary camera for video calls, no video recording function on the camera either ! Screen resolution is only 480x320, there's plenty of better phones out there. Like the previous posters says, the battery life is very poor, no FM radio facility, poor Bluetooth (you won't be able to send and share files via bluetooth).

There are lots of gimmicky gadgets, but not necessarily anything you'll need or want.

Have a look around and make your own mind up as to what you want ( do you really want a 24mth contract ? with O2 I've always found O2 to be pi55 poor.)

AidenSmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been through a few touchscreen phones recently. The best of the bunch being the LG Renoir, which you can pick for reasonable money on ebay. It's got a great camera and video camera-function. There's the lower-priced LG Cookie, too, which I've also had, but it's not a patch on the Renoir, especially in the quality of the case.
I have to say, however, that the iPhone looks good. I've always been adverse to all things Apple. There's something just a little smug about the products themselves and their owners. However, I was purchasing an iPod Touch for someone and the quality of it and its ease of use was something of a revelation. The only downside, for me, is that you can't expand the memory, so not much use if you've a large music/movie library, and, as the poster above notes, the camera is pretty basic by today's standards. And, dear god, does it look like it would be a scratch magnet.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Give LG a month or so and they'll have more handsets out with the new S Class interface. I had a go with the Viewty Touch and it was really really nice - just as good as an iphone i'd say, but you can't put apps on it.

Samsung Omnia 2 is just about to come out and that looks nice, and a lot more capable than the iphone.

I've just been through all of this and plummeted for an HTC Touch Diamond 2.

If it's a touch screen phone, apple aren't the only ones that make them. All they did was market it so much better than anyone else had done in the past and people bought into it. There are a lot more capable touch screen phones on the market than the iphone, and for less money.

take a look at gsmarena.com and http://www.reghardware.co.uk/news/phones/ for lots of good info.

oh... and take a look at this thread before buying anything. this is what put me onto getting a windows mobile instead of just a normal one.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk//showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/106939/an/0/page/0#106939

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Phone wise the Iphone is not that great, but I think that it is much better than the rest for surfing, it's touch screen etc.

I can understand why people call the App Store products gimmicks, but I think you will find that these "gimmicks" will still be in production when all the current Samsung/LG's are end of life, because nobody is developing for the outdated models. Apple will keep the developers busy because it's an Apple and people will always want them.

I agree with whats been said about choosing a phone that has the features you need, but I had a Samsung Tocco befor the Iphone and it was already outdated after 3 months!!!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
The attraction and marketing of the i-phone appears to be based around the 'apps' that are available for it.

Windows Mobile phones have been around far longer than i-phones and consequentley have hundreds if not thousands of 'apps' available. Often free, known as freeware.

Being able to 'drink' a vitual pint or 'use' a light sabre really doesn't bother me. It's a gimmick.

It's a shame that I haven't converted to the i-phone, as I was a huge 'Mac' fan in the late 80's and early 90's. Compared to PC's of their day, Macs were just so much more user friendly. The only reason I moved away from Macs was that every company I worked for had PC's, and Macs were just so expensve for the performance. Especially when you could get a better performing PC for less money.

I am tempted to 'try' one, but I have so much useful 'pc' stuff for my phone now, it just makes no sense to change over.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're loking at the new Iphone, which is out today. I think the tariff's may put you off unless you want to pay for the handset.

In the O2 store last week, I think the minimum one was £74 a month :eek:

I think that I am going to go for the HTC touch HD.
I have done some comparisons and that just about pips it for me.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
O and just because the Iphone doesnt have a feature on now, doesnt mean it wont ever have it. You can get a zoom for the iphone camera, you just download it from the application store, and I think its free.

Might only have a 2mp camera but it takes pretty good pics.

The new one, on the web page above is far more improved than my 3g model!

chipping

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice,I think I will take a close look at the new Iphone once all the hype about the launch has settled down, and maybe some better deals will be available.
Chipping. :)

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
people, or definately teenagers, that have iphones never use them for calling or texting. what a waste of money.
i say get the samsung tocco ultra. It is alot better than the fashion icon that will only be renewed again and again.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry Pete, but its much more than a fashion statement, its a serious bit of kit. A full Ipod, a quality (and I mean quality) internet surfer, fast, cut copy and paste. Thousands of applications to download to make your life run smoother. And lots of the applications link to each other.

Example. Today we took a trip to Shrewsbury, dont know the area, needed a pub. Application called around me lets your choose a multitude of points of inerest to find. Closest pub was 800 yards away but no idea where. Gives you name, address, phone number etc. one click of a button had it switching to the maps application with full directions and a realtime map using the GPS. I was at the pub within minutes.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is its not that much slower than in the advert!

One thing you cant really ask someone is where you parked the car. But you can save the GPS location on maps and get directions back to it within seconds!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I think that I can do that on my HTC as well. Not ever needed to try though.

I think it's about time I explored it's capabilities more.

Mind you that's the problem with most of this technology. We never actually use most of it! Which begs the question. Do we really need it? Or is just gadgets for gadgets sake?

It's not a critism. After all I have a HTC Windows Mobile phone, an i-pod nano, a 'space' pen that can write on anything, an 100 watt stereo, a watch that will still work at 100 metres plus depth, (long after I stop working at that depth!). So on and so on.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or is just gadgets for gadgets sake?

You could just be right. :)

For me, my Nokia 6310i is the pooch's privates. It's bullet proof and does everything that I want from a phone. With it I can make AND receive calls. Apparently, according to my daughter, it also does something called text.

I've only had it for just over 10 years and am still finding new things on it. Only last year I discovered that it has a bluetooth or something. One day I might ask my dentist what I should do with it... :D