I had this problem last year...

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
First round in 2-3 months and first round with a new winter mat.

4th shot of the day took a nice divot!

That’s me done until March/April, can’t stand the things.

Visit site
I bought a Spurk Golf mat which is good for winter practise ground instead of hitting fat mud flying divots all over. Also for around the chipping green as well. Not cheap but it small and works.

Diamond

Visit site
I have one of these plastic mats. Smooth one side and bristles the other. No chance of breaking it. That looks like a mat for delicate chips.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Karma.

You're trolley has done more damage to the fairways than you have done to the mat that supposedly protects the fairways.

Maybe where you play but not at my course. There is zero mud, and single buggies are still in use.

Other course I play I carry as it resembles a bog! And I don’t even play it currently as it’s utterly pointless and just detrimental to the course.

As you can see from the image there are no muddy wheel trails left behind...

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My mate who plays inland has one of those divotend launch things which he likes.

Worth looking into that.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
View attachment 29051
these are the two types i've got, you would need to hit them with a big axe to do any sort of damage

I have the one on the left, the club provide them for about £5.

I managed to curl one of those in half. Only thing I dislike is the depth of them, I have to grip down. Agree though I doubt I could hack through one of those, I’ll have to dig it out again

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the one on the left, the club provide them for about £5.

I managed to curl one of those in half. Only thing I dislike is the depth of them, I have to grip down. Agree though I doubt I could hack through one of those, I’ll have to dig it out again
the club provides our free, just keep it for the season and return or put back in a bin after use
the one on the right is the one i'm using at the moment, layed the other way up so o hit off the smoth side,

D

Deleted member 3432

the club provides our free, just keep it for the season and return or put back in a bin after use
the one on the right is the one i'm using at the moment, layed the other way up so o hit off the smoth side,

We use the one on the right, club provides them free.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also got divotend.

Personally I just see winter golf as a bit of fresh air and exercise on a reasonably mild winters day. When I first started I was keen and out every sat / sun the course was open, but now I won't be going out of my way to play through the winter, maybe until mid February if the weather is decent. Think I've played 2 games since October.

Got no problem using the mat to protect the course. If you got a dry winter with lots of play, most fairways would be completely chewed up by March and some areas would never properly recover throughout the season without being GUR and being re-seeded or re-turfed.

OP has the right attitude, either put up with the mat, or leave the clubs alone till Spring.

Andy91

Visit site
I bought a Spurk Golf mat which is good for winter practise ground instead of hitting fat mud flying divots all over. Also for around the chipping green as well. Not cheap but it small and works.

I know the guys that came up with the Spurk golf mat!
They started trying to just make a mat for themselves to use at our club because they hated them floppy rubber things and then took it further and actually making a good product, since then they've been selling like crazy!
I actually bought the first one from there web site been using it for the last two winter seasons.

I'm glad to see them get mention here and just felt I had to also make a comment.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2351.jpg
    IMG_2351.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Maybe where you play but not at my course. There is zero mud, and single buggies are still in use.

Other course I play I carry as it resembles a bog! And I don’t even play it currently as it’s utterly pointless and just detrimental to the course.

As you can see from the image there are no muddy wheel trails left behind...

Thats fair enough, but does present the question of why you are using fairway mats when buggies are allowed on the course?
Surely if it's dry enough for vehicles, then it's dry enough to play from preferred lies?