I had a lesson today and...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got a lesson this afternoon. Will be interesting as the things my pro has had me working on seem to be starting to deliver. But I know that I can hit decent shots without me actually sorting my underlying swing issues. Hopefully I'm on the right track but only he can tell me definitively.

I think 'with trepidation' describes how I am feeling about the lesson. But also a little excited that I might be sorting something that I have struggled with and had to manage for some 35yrs.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Had a lesson on Friday to work on things off the tee, having issues with the flight starting right and then slicing/spinning further right. The pro filmed me and, shock, the clubface was pointing right at impact and slicing across the ball. Has given me a few things to work on....grip was fine, more about trying to 'get the toe to win the race to the ball against the heel'

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a lesson on Friday to work on things off the tee, having issues with the flight starting right and then slicing/spinning further right. The pro filmed me and, shock, the clubface was pointing right at impact and slicing across the ball. Has given me a few things to work on....grip was fine, more about trying to 'get the toe to win the race to the ball against the heel'
I always find it so enlightening when I seem my swing on video and the pro explains why things aren't working. At least you have stuff to work on so hopefully they'll fall into place and you'll be bombing straight ones again

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've got a lesson this afternoon. Will be interesting as the things my pro has had me working on seem to be starting to deliver. But I know that I can hit decent shots without me actually sorting my underlying swing issues. Hopefully I'm on the right track but only he can tell me definitively.

I think 'with trepidation' describes how I am feeling about the lesson. But also a little excited that I might be sorting something that I have struggled with and had to manage for some 35yrs.
Excellent lesson in the studio. Pro confirmed that I am most certainly on the right track but reinforced what I must keep working on to bed it in. Plus he pointed out a tweak I needed to do to the ball position at address with the driver - and explained why I sometimes felt uncomfortable at address with driver and why it went wrong - and the tweak worked...with drives running out to about 250yds - and that'll do me just grand for starters - just wait when I am doing more than a half swing :) (actually not bothered about working on getting more than 250yds with driver - consistency is the thing for me not length)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Good lesson today, hopefully finally cracked (hopefully) why I can only seem to do half a swing. By the end of the lesson I had a extra 8 mph ball speed with 7 iron which will certainly help. Waiting on pics/videos from the session, so will post those up when then come.

Definitely some strange feeling positions to get into, but by the end of the lesson it was all feeling great.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good lesson today, hopefully finally cracked (hopefully) why I can only seem to do half a swing. By the end of the lesson I had a extra 8 mph ball speed with 7 iron which will certainly help. Waiting on pics/videos from the session, so will post those up when then come.

Definitely some strange feeling positions to get into, but by the end of the lesson it was all feeling great.

That's a good increase so hopefully will translate into extra distance without loss of accuracy. Not a great one for trying to hit positions and I learn more as a feel player but sounds like you've nailed it and so interesting to see how you get on

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4th comeback lesson, working on better path and wrist position on the down swing through impact. Got some drills to help.
Cheated the backswing to get me in the best position so guess once I've got this sorted we'll go back to that.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a good increase so hopefully will translate into extra distance without loss of accuracy. Not a great one for trying to hit positions and I learn more as a feel player but sounds like you've nailed it and so interesting to see how you get on

It’s all feeling very positive at the moment. Just need to get to the end of this month where we will hopefully be back onto a measured course and the cards will start counting again.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played on Sunday just past and hit the ball the best I’ve ever hit it, not even sure how to be honest, just trusted the process and didn’t have any swing thoughts, picked a target and away I went.
Think my Dad and brother were in shock with how well I played, I’m in shock ??
Got a driver fitting tomorrow night ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played on Sunday just past and hit the ball the best I’ve ever hit it, not even sure how to be honest, just trusted the process and didn’t have any swing thoughts, picked a target and away I went.
Think my Dad and brother were in shock with how well I played, I’m in shock ??
Got a driver fitting tomorrow night ?

Top man. It's brilliant when a lesson and all the hard work comes off out on the course. Enjoy the fitting and keep the good form going

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lesson yesterday , spent some time on improving width on th back swing and then some drills on the downswing using Justin Rose as an example.
Found this on YouTube which sums this up pretty nicely

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Lesson yesterday , spent some time on improving width on th back swing and then some drills on the downswing using Justin Rose as an example.
Found this on YouTube which sums this up pretty nicely

? that’s my fault right there. And a new drill to practise. I get to the top with a full takeaway fine but my downswing is exactly as he described. ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Been having lessons and knew that things would go backwards before improving but swing felt much better yesterday and ball striking the best it's been for ages.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a driver lesson this afternoon before my fitting a week today, just so I can work on it to get the best out of the fitting.
Was hitting it well, really well, the poor ones were a shorter backswing.
Overall only a couple of small tweaks, so I'll be working on it all this week.
Hit 3 other drivers at the end....
Ping G425 - The noise is horrendous and not great at address for me.
Callaway Rogue - Looks good at address, was always going left for me, probably me though.
Titleist TS1 - Looked great at address (I like it to look square when looking down), hit a couple of belters with it as well.

In my head I've got a Titleist bought already, hopefully next week the numbers will stack up with it.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson on Friday last week, just a bit of a check in. It appears I had slipped back into poor rotation and was relying too much on my hands to square everything up which was resulting in a two way miss.

The feel was to get my back right pocket pointing at the target and my left shoulder lower as it rotates under my chin on the back swing. Then almost feeling a pause at the top so that I complete the turn and don’t rush into the down swing. Then just feeling like I’m turning through the ball to a finish.

Overall the changes felt great, club and ball speed were up significantly and a much more consistent shape on the flight.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A chipping lesson for me tonight, a drill that really worked was an alignment stick about 5” behind the ball and a more upright swing, actually did really well, I’m normally a thinner when chipping but not one tonight (typical ?)
Hit 25 on the range before hand, hitting the ball lovely, feeling not too far away from really biting the bullet and playing more competitive golf.

Mike79

Visit site
Block of 6 lessons was my fathers day gift... 1st lessons in 25 years!

Had 2 lessons so far...

Lesson 1 identified some positives in my swing, but a number of basic issues. So a few drills to get my hips rotating as I was swinging arms and shoulders only. Definitely saw some more consistency with iron play from this (and some odd looks from my wife as I'd been practicing the drills at home!). Also looked at wedge play where I was prone to a shank on a full wedge. Few drills around just missing a tee in the ground, more weight in heels and being further from ball at address.

Was pretty stupid having this lesson in the week of the club champs but have to start sometime!!

Lesson 2 got me working on clearing my right elbow from my right hip on the downswing, more towards the motion of a baseball swing / swinging an axe at a tree. I'm seeing more consistency from the fundamental changes from these 2 lessons, distance and dispersion both improving.

I need to ensure I get to the range a couple of times in the week to make it all feels "normal" before games on the weekends though. Looking forward to lesson 3 next week...

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Had my first lesson in about 15 years last week. Unbelievable how simple it has been to fix the simple things. All the things I thought I done correctly but didn't.
Booked another lesson 2 weeks from now, I actually believe I can get better at this game.

FELL75

Visit site
Had first ever putting lesson this week and took it on the course this morning. Changed my grip, so obviously feels very strange having gripped a putter one way for 30 years. Having filmed the before and after I can see the benefits. The strike does feel a bit clicky, I prefer a duller strike. One thing I can't get my head round is that when I casually hit the ball one handed across the green towards my bag, it feels so much more from the sweet spot, a nice strike perhaps I'm more relaxed/better swing. Maybe I'm more upright, and the right hand is at the top of the grip rather than below. Perhaps I should put left hand below right. Grrr so many questions! Perhaps I ought to"ask the experts"....

RichA

Visit site
My first ever driver lesson today.
While the results of my good drives on course are very good, the bad ones are dreadful.
The first few I hit in the the lesson were very good results, then he showed me the videos and launch monitor data. Club head speed just over 100 but angle of attack -2° and spin 4500 rpm. His conclusion, the ones you get away with will be good but the bad ones will be really bad. No surprises there then.
It's interesting when you kind of know what you're doing wrong (not rotating on the backswing) but convince yourself it's not a problem, until it's actually shown to you on video.
Really good teacher. He made me feel quite positive and gave me just a couple of really good things to work on. And finished by saying, "Let me know how you're getting on in a few weeks," as opposed to, "Same time next week."