I had a lesson today and...

D

Deleted member 23270

Its pleasing to see so many forum experts (with the exception of Bob who has always provided honest critique that I trust to me and many others) have my swing nailed down for me. To answer DaveR - I assume the video you are referring to is the Srixon review (as that is my last video posted). If so and you paid attention, I had been off with sciatica and so the wasn't trying to swing flat out and protecting the back to a degree so any flaws have that as the cause.

To answer Bob, my 3H is my go to for 180-185 and so subject to where the trouble was, I'd either hit that and know if there was no trouble shot I could pitch front and run up, subject to how wet it was. If not I'd take my 5W and grip down slightly (it averages 207) and play that to the heart of the green
The thing is, your swing in that video is the same as in all your others.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot more variables. Assuming it was a competitive round then a mid-iron into position and rely on a good pitch and putt would be the prudent play. I don't think from that lie there is any merit in me going for it (even in a social game). It would be lie dependent of course and how far I would have to move it around the trees but I doubt very much I'm taking it on in most situations. Even in a match I think I stand more chance playing myself out of the hole that way where knocking back out, hitting the green, hopefully close at least asks the opponent the questions

Good, you are improving, because in one of your videos 2018, you played both shots I've just described and on both shots you hit ''a little 4 iron''.

One tip on bunker play, if you aim square ala Gary Smith, don't open the clubface or the ball will go right

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The thing is, your swing in that video is the same as in all your others.
As the last one before the Srixon video was over a year ago and as CLEARLY mentioned in post #168 much has changed hard for you to critique without any evidence. And NO I'm not putting anything else up as there will be some (Bob etc) that will offer critique but many others won't. I have explained what is going on with my swing and lessons and so I'm done

D

Deleted member 1147

I had an hour on the club's simulator last week, and the Pro I played against noticed I tend to overswing a bit. So lent me his swingyde training aid.
After a few days swinging it in the garden, i tried it on the course.
Felt like I was hitting a Jon Rahm swing that finished half way back. But according to my PP's I was getting up to horizontal.

Amazing how what we feel, and what we actually do, are entirely different things!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As the last one before the Srixon video was over a year ago and as CLEARLY mentioned in post #168 much has changed hard for you to critique without any evidence. And NO I'm not putting anything else up as there will be some (Bob etc) that will offer critique but many others won't. I have explained what is going on with my swing and lessons and so I'm done

Why not just post a swing and show the changes. It would be interesting to see. I'm sure theres plenty on here who would be happy to see you make solid progress after watching your videos down the years.

One thing I'd look at after watching that srixon video is check you using the bounce on those pitch shots. You look like your taking fairly deep divots and the course is baked out. Could very much be a reason you struggle with these shots in winter.

I also trying try to keep your right arm from bending so much on those chip and run shots. Seems to be bending alot leading to inconsistencies of stike. Keeping both arms straighter will help with that.

Major plus is you hole out for fun. Always very impressed with that. The work you do on that seems to working very well.

Good luck lad. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why not just post a swing and show the changes. It would be interesting to see. I'm sure theres plenty on here who would be happy to see you make solid progress after watching your videos down the years.

One thing I'd look at after watching that srixon video is check you using the bounce on those pitch shots. You look like your taking fairly deep divots and the course is baked out. Could very much be a reason you struggle with these shots in winter.

I also trying try to keep your right arm from bending so much on those chip and run shots. Seems to be bending alot leading to inconsistencies of stike. Keeping both arms straighter will help with that.

Major plus is you hole out for fun. Always very impressed with that. The work you do on that seems to working very well.

Good luck lad. :)

Short game lessons on the horizon for March and the start of the season but a chicken wing right arm is a recurring fault in my short game. In my defence I was rushing to get all the short game filming done in reducing light and I had been off the course for five weeks with sciatica and so straight out with no practice.

Hit the range tonight before my lesson tomorrow as I like to feel I've hit balls and at least got an idea what is working well (or not) to relay back to the teaching pro at the start of the lesson. I've been trying to get my preferred draw back and had been setting up with the face square and the tiniest of closed stances and swinging along the toe line. Felt much more compact and better rotation (and got the ball to start moving right to left) so hoping it'll be more of a swing MOT and tidy up rather than any big changes

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I had an hour on the club's simulator last week, and the Pro I played against noticed I tend to overswing a bit. So lent me his swingyde training aid.
After a few days swinging it in the garden, i tried it on the course.
Felt like I was hitting a Jon Rahm swing that finished half way back. But according to my PP's I was getting up to horizontal.

Amazing how what we feel, and what we actually do, are entirely different things!
I can have the same issue, what felt like 1/4 swings were actually just short of parallel….

I‘ve got a playing lesson tomorrow,.

D

Deleted member 1147

I can have the same issue, what felt like 1/4 swings were actually just short of parallel….

I‘ve got a playing lesson tomorrow,.
I definitely recommend the device I tried. Gives the feeling of a short swing, but apparently it’s a full swing.
My problem is hyper mobility, which allows too much movement if unchecked.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Short game lessons on the horizon for March and the start of the season but a chicken wing right arm is a recurring fault in my short game. In my defence I was rushing to get all the short game filming done in reducing light and I had been off the course for five weeks with sciatica and so straight out with no practice.

Hit the range tonight before my lesson tomorrow as I like to feel I've hit balls and at least got an idea what is working well (or not) to relay back to the teaching pro at the start of the lesson. I've been trying to get my preferred draw back and had been setting up with the face square and the tiniest of closed stances and swinging along the toe line. Felt much more compact and better rotation (and got the ball to start moving right to left) so hoping it'll be more of a swing MOT and tidy up rather than any big changes

You see that big bend of the right arm. Try to keep that arm straighter. you will keep a better arm structure and radius of the swing. It will make your contact so much more consistent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-224506_YouTube Vanced.jpg
    Screenshot_20220209-224506_YouTube Vanced.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 28

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent playing lesson this morning, Pro happy with my swing outside of 80yrds, I need to make better shot choices from 80yrds and in, and he sorted my putting setup out. Let's see how I play on Sunday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
@HomerJSimpson , do we get to know how your lesson went today? Hopefully ironed out the issues.
Literally just got in. Change of grip to strengthen it. Need to keep the chest down through impact (raising up) but aside from those little tweaks hitting it great with a lovely 5-10 yard draw. Plenty to work with now and off to the club tomorrow to grind it out

D

Deleted member 23270

Literally just got in. Change of grip to strengthen it. Need to keep the chest down through impact (raising up) but aside from those little tweaks hitting it great with a lovely 5-10 yard draw. Plenty to work with now and off to the club tomorrow to grind it out
Should have taken my advice and saved yourself a few quid ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Why. Are you a qualifed PGA pro. Do you know my game. Thought not. Rather leave it to people I trust
I thought you loved a bit of bantz? Don't understand why you say that, I've never seen any evidence of it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Good to hear you are back hitting a draw. You must have made some nice changes :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to hear you are back hitting a draw. You must have made some nice changes :)
Grip was an issue. Had snuck weaker so we over emphasised that to almost 3-4 knuckles to get the feeling for a stronger grip. Right hand was a little underneath so tidied that up. The error I've been having on the course seems to be an early extension so that was the main focus. A feeling of keeping the chest over the ball longer and the good ones felts great compressing ball and then turf. Off to the club this afternoon to work on it some more

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just got back from a lesson at The Beeches in Knutsford with Peter Barber. Really enjoyed it. He explains things simply and I find it quite easy to implement the changes he makes.

I was taking the club away slightly outside in an effort not to get too flat. I was then having to work hard to drop it "in the slot". That's why I was getting handsy and flipping the odd one left.
He had me taking the club away with my hands moving over my right foot and hinging to set the club early. It felt like I was hinging my wrists pretty much as my hands moved away. I then had to try to hold the angle as late as possible. We then worked on start lines by hitting it through two alignment sticks stuck in the grass.
Was flushing it by the end. Shame I'm not playing this weekend ?