I had a lesson today and...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Stupid game. I went to the range tonight to try and find something before the lesson on Thursday. I didn't want to rock up with the swing in a total mess. Found something with the takeaway which feels much wider and that I must have been fanning/coming inside too much which is why it felt cramped and I struggled to get my weight across. Happy. It isn't right but think the amount of things to change will be reduced greatly and we can nip everything in the bud again as the season starts

You're wasting your time and money.
A playing lesson will do you more good than fiddling around with your backswing

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What sort of pro doesn't want to earn more money to help his client?

I'd change pro if it were me.

How about approaching your own club pro?

I totally agree which is why no matter what Bob says (and he may well have a point) I can't get a playing lesson. I am very happy with the guy I use and it's just frustrating he's attached to a range and it doesn't have a club with it.

D

Deleted member 23270

Stupid game. I went to the range tonight to try and find something before the lesson on Thursday. I didn't want to rock up with the swing in a total mess. Found something with the takeaway which feels much wider and that I must have been fanning/coming inside too much which is why it felt cramped and I struggled to get my weight across. Happy. It isn't right but think the amount of things to change will be reduced greatly and we can nip everything in the bud again as the season starts
You should concentrate on the excessive body movement in your swing. Hard to hit the ball consistently with so much movement.

YandaB

Visit site
I totally agree which is why no matter what Bob says (and he may well have a point) I can't get a playing lesson. I am very happy with the guy I use and it's just frustrating he's attached to a range and it doesn't have a club with it.
Can you not have a playing lesson with the club pro? Think of it as a mind coach v your swing/technical coach. One addresses what shots, when and why, the other doing the how.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Have you got a pro attached to your club ?
Yes and an assistant with a good reputation that came from Hoebridge. Some of the roll ups I play in have had lessons but I am very happy with the guy I use and I don't want to use another pro. I like the way the guy I use works and I am able to send videos and get feedback and he will give me five minute pointers in between lessons if I'm up there when he's working. The issue I see is another pair of eyes may want to focus on different areas to the ones I am working on with the guy I use

You should concentrate on the excessive body movement in your swing. Hard to hit the ball consistently with so much movement.

When was the last time you saw my swing on film? Plenty has changed in the last few years and I've worked hard on reducing the moving parts

D

Deleted member 23270

Yes and an assistant with a good reputation that came from Hoebridge. Some of the roll ups I play in have had lessons but I am very happy with the guy I use and I don't want to use another pro. I like the way the guy I use works and I am able to send videos and get feedback and he will give me five minute pointers in between lessons if I'm up there when he's working. The issue I see is another pair of eyes may want to focus on different areas to the ones I am working on with the guy I use

When was the last time you saw my swing on film? Plenty has changed in the last few years and I've worked hard on reducing the moving parts
Post up a new video then for some 'expert' forum analysis.

To answer your question I've seen the stuff you put on YouTube. Was that all filmed years ago?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

I’m pretty sure you could say to him you don’t want to look at anything technical, just through shot choice etc.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you got a pro attached to your club ?

Sounds like it’s working for you, which is great to hear….roll on the wins!

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site

Maybe a fresh pair of eyes will pick a fault up where your preferred guy hasnt.

A playing lesson and a swing fault lesson are 2 different things.

TigerBear

Visit site
2 years down the line I'm swinging in properly again and hitting it from the inside like I used to. Played some nice golf season just ended but still working away to improve.

Helps massively that I have done a lot of stretching and work to loosen and manage lower back issues which were the root cause of the bad swings.

That's brilliant you've been able to turn it around (y)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last 'playing lesson' I had was a bit pointless!
Playing off 12, I was 1 under after 6 holes! The Pro said all I needed was 'proper focus' and took the short cut back to the clubhouse! Only ever played that well a couple of times since, both 'surprises' in 'key' rounds.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Last 'playing lesson' I had was a bit pointless!
Playing off 12, I was 1 under after 6 holes! The Pro said all I needed was 'proper focus' and took the short cut back to the clubhouse! Only ever played that well a couple of times since, both 'surprises' in 'key' rounds.

You're clearly a diamond, made under pressure!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Post up a new video then for some 'expert' forum analysis.

To answer your question I've seen the stuff you put on YouTube. Was that all filmed years ago?

Its pleasing to see so many forum experts (with the exception of Bob who has always provided honest critique that I trust to me and many others) have my swing nailed down for me. To answer DaveR - I assume the video you are referring to is the Srixon review (as that is my last video posted). If so and you paid attention, I had been off with sciatica and so the wasn't trying to swing flat out and protecting the back to a degree so any flaws have that as the cause.

To answer Bob, my 3H is my go to for 180-185 and so subject to where the trouble was, I'd either hit that and know if there was no trouble shot I could pitch front and run up, subject to how wet it was. If not I'd take my 5W and grip down slightly (it averages 207) and play that to the heart of the green

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To answer Bob, my 3H is my go to for 180-185 and so subject to where the trouble was, I'd either hit that and know if there was no trouble shot I could pitch front and run up, subject to how wet it was. If not I'd take my 5W and grip down slightly (it averages 207) and play that to the heart of the green

So if you were the same distance but the ball was sitting down in the rough and you had to open the face to fade it round some trees?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So if you were the same distance but the ball was sitting down in the rough and you had to open the face to fade it round some trees?

A lot more variables. Assuming it was a competitive round then a mid-iron into position and rely on a good pitch and putt would be the prudent play. I don't think from that lie there is any merit in me going for it (even in a social game). It would be lie dependent of course and how far I would have to move it around the trees but I doubt very much I'm taking it on in most situations. Even in a match I think I stand more chance playing myself out of the hole that way where knocking back out, hitting the green, hopefully close at least asks the opponent the questions