I had a lesson today and...

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Another lesson again this evening. started with a review of 7 iron, 5 hybrid and 3 wood. Hit them all well, so he asked if there was a club I struggled with.

6 iron. I’ve never managed to get a decent strike with it. So out it came. A couple of swings, and he suggested I move the ball an inch and half up in the stance. Problem solved!

So, then he says, “Let’s get the driver out!”

That’s the first time!

I’ve played with it a couple of times on the range, but other than that, I’ve left it alone.

Hit a few without any guidance (other than setup), and pretty consistently hit a pushed fade/cut.

He explained that shape came from an open club face, with an out-to-in swing oath. So he reminded me how I spent couple of weeks working on an in-to-our path with irons, bringing the club down the inside at the start of the downswing.

The last few shots started slightly right, and instead of fading further right, stayed straight.

That’s where we left it for this week. If I can get a straight push consistent for the next lesson, we’ll look at closing the face.

At the moment, the driver is also going pretty much the same distance as the 3 wood, but I’ll worry about that later.

When I started with the pro last August (first time I hit a golf ball was in his bay at the range), he said the program would be to start with irons, work up the bag on the range over winter, then look at shortgame and putting when the whether improves.

I was out injured for about 5 weeks, so given that, it looks like we’re in good shape on the schedule. One or two more sessions with driver, then out to the short game area for a few sessions, then the first on-course lesson at the start of May!

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Please
To be honest I've been to a couple of guys in the past and it was almost like I was paying them to watch me hit balls
I spotted on one of your earlier posts you were getting your swing speed up to 120 then wanted to settle it at 116 for playing.
Now the average speed of the PGA tour is 114 with about 20 of the big hitters who can crank it up to 120
So maybe that's why they just watch you hit balls.
Obviously I don't know you but you seem to work hard at the game and must be very good player so good luck to you.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Please
I spotted on one of your earlier posts you were getting your swing speed up to 120 then wanted to settle it at 116 for playing.
Now the average speed of the PGA tour is 114 with about 20 of the big hitters who can crank it up to 120
So maybe that's why they just watch you hit balls.
Obviously I don't know you but you seem to work hard at the game and must be very good player so good luck to you.
Yes been plugging away pretty hard over winter, swingspeed is 114 on an average not really trying too hard, can get it to 117 but cant really sustain that for more than 4 or 5 swings. Made a few changes to my pivot which helped gain me a few mph. Hopefully we can do a bit of damage this season and pick up a few things. Edward trophy will be the first big event then ayrshire strokeplay the next day both 36 holers

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I am good to here...

At least I’m only 5 degrees on the inside and less than a degree up at impact. Much better than the 7 inside and 2+ up I was!

Working on making is less than 4 from the inside and slightly negative at impact.

Attachments

• 2F744594-0ED1-4907-B048-EA89D0567D5E.jpeg
    2F744594-0ED1-4907-B048-EA89D0567D5E.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 29

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just had a lesson this morning, one in a sequence I am having (thank you Father Christmas). More positives to take. Apparently my upper body moves are very good, nothing to alter. Unfortunately they are not in time with my lower body, hence an element of spraying about. Half of the lesson today was to quieten down the lower body to bring the timing together. A slower and smoother movement, less Bryson, more Ernie :D. A golf ball under the ball of my right foot was the technique to help get the feeling right. Very positive, I just need to work on it.

Interestingly enough, after seeing me hit a few shots at the beginning the pro asked if I had lower back problems after playing. Yes, yes, yes. This could help to reduce this as there would be less fighting of parts of the body.

Second part of the lesson was to use the same swing and things I have learnt and put it into place with my driving. He is trying to get my swing path pushing through to 1 'O clock. It feels very odd but it is something to persevere with. I am leaving the face open and pushing it right so part of it was to close the face slightly at address and then swing as requested. A bit mind blowing and am slightly nervous to try that part on the course tomorrow. My brain says it will cause hooks although that was not the case during the lesson.

A good lesson all round though.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
To build on my lesson I’ve been using the tip both Chris Ryan and Rick Sheil(d)s describe where you put a tee at 45* angle aiming backwards and imadgine you are hitting it into the ground.

Got great compression, low side spin and my distance is coming back to me now too! Pretty sure I’m much less from the inside now as I can really tell when I do get stuck inside.

Broken 30 on back to back rounds at the par 3, should have been better as neither had a birdie despite at least two good shouts each (over reading the borrow ?)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lord Tyrion, I think you will need to aim down the right hand of the fairway allowing for a draw
That's what the pro was going for. As someone who normally hits a gentle fade it is a change of tack that will be a bit intimidating at first. It gave me more distance and less ballooning so it would improve me off the tee. I'll be nervous tomorrow on the 1st though ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just had a lesson this morning, one in a sequence I am having (thank you Father Christmas). More positives to take. Apparently my upper body moves are very good, nothing to alter. Unfortunately they are not in time with my lower body, hence an element of spraying about. Half of the lesson today was to quieten down the lower body to bring the timing together. A slower and smoother movement, less Bryson, more Ernie :D. A golf ball under the ball of my right foot was the technique to help get the feeling right. Very positive, I just need to work on it.

Interestingly enough, after seeing me hit a few shots at the beginning the pro asked if I had lower back problems after playing. Yes, yes, yes. This could help to reduce this as there would be less fighting of parts of the body.

Second part of the lesson was to use the same swing and things I have learnt and put it into place with my driving. He is trying to get my swing path pushing through to 1 'O clock. It feels very odd but it is something to persevere with. I am leaving the face open and pushing it right so part of it was to close the face slightly at address and then swing as requested. A bit mind blowing and am slightly nervous to try that part on the course tomorrow. My brain says it will cause hooks although that was not the case during the lesson.

A good lesson all round though.

Sounds great. I have seen a few videos online about swinging to 1 o'clock (Danny Maude definitely has one and I'm sure I've seen another). On the subject of lower body I've started to get the hips gently pushing to target as the start of the downswing to shallow the club and since doing so have been playing a lot more consistently

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd revive this thread....
Had my 5th lesson now since October while I'm at work and todays the first day I've really felt all the work is paying off.
Took 25 balls to give myself a warm up before I started but my coach came out and was having a look at my swing and I never put a foot wrong.
Lesson wasn't quite as good, still a slight struggle transferring my weight to my left side, have got a drill to work on it though.
Going to play the 9 hole course at Fraserburgh on Wednesday when I change from night to day shift.
Also going to get a new driver this week as I have a dent on the crown of my own one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thought I'd revive this thread....
Had my 5th lesson now since October while I'm at work and todays the first day I've really felt all the work is paying off.
Took 25 balls to give myself a warm up before I started but my coach came out and was having a look at my swing and I never put a foot wrong.
Lesson wasn't quite as good, still a slight struggle transferring my weight to my left side, have got a drill to work on it though.
Going to play the 9 hole course at Fraserburgh on Wednesday when I change from night to day shift.
Also going to get a new driver this week as I have a dent on the crown of my own one.

Good to see it is starting to pay off. I have a batch of 7 (for the price of 6) to use in 2022 so will use 2 (so a one hour lesson) in the Spring to refresh the short game. Other than that I'll use them to either fix faults or try and kick the game forward and get the handicap down. I'm still a big fan of lessons and still think my teaching pro can get my handicap right down. Felt in the limited competitive golf we had in 2021 (although my club did really well to get as much played as possible) I played better than I scored so something I need to address with him about how to score ugly

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Good to see it is starting to pay off. I have a batch of 7 (for the price of 6) to use in 2022 so will use 2 (so a one hour lesson) in the Spring to refresh the short game. Other than that I'll use them to either fix faults or try and kick the game forward and get the handicap down. I'm still a big fan of lessons and still think my teaching pro can get my handicap right down. Felt in the limited competitive golf we had in 2021 (although my club did really well to get as much played as possible) I played better than I scored so something I need to address with him about how to score ugly

Lessons are the best way of spending your money to get better, new clubs can help a little (I'm guilty of always wanting the latest clubs) but having an expert pair of eyes giving you advice is definitely what I would advise everyone to do.

I've dipped in and out of having lessons myself over the years with various pros. I've recently started having lessons again with Scotty Howarth, he's getting me to change my transition which I'm finding very difficult as I've been stuck with my current pattern for around 20 years now. I've got my handicap down to 3 but I know that's pretty much as low as I'll get with my current swing, hence starting the lessons again. I've put a video below if anyone's interested in what I'm working on.

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons are the best way of spending your money to get better, new clubs can help a little (I'm guilty of always wanting the latest clubs) but having an expert pair of eyes giving you advice is definitely what I would advise everyone to do.

I've dipped in and out of having lessons myself over the years with various pros. I've recently started having lessons again with Scotty Howarth, he's getting me to change my transition which I'm finding very difficult as I've been stuck with my current pattern for around 20 years now. I've got my handicap down to 3 but I know that's pretty much as low as I'll get with my current swing, hence starting the lessons again. I've put a video below if anyone's interested in what I'm working on.

http://mail2.trackman.dk/track/clic...DYzYTc4MDcxMGM1YWQ4YmZkMmZmYjcwNGZjMFwiXX0ifQ

I have an old habit of taking the club away outside the line and also guilty of lifting the club up. That is the main thing I've worked on this winter and making some good progress. Driver is behaving well and in general the ball striking, especially given the wet muddy conditions, is good. When I go for a swing MOT around Easter I know this will be the main area the pro will look at. Get it right and it gets it in a good position at the top. Then have to avoid throwing it over the top which is another old issue

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On learning golf, and hence on lessons, Bobby Jones had this to say...

'Golf is played by striking the ball with the head of the club. The objective of the player is not to swing the club in a specified manner, nor to execute a series of complicated movements in a prescribed sequence, nor to look pretty while he is doing it, but primarily and essentially to strike the ball with the head of the club so that the ball will perform according to his wishes'

For me as I relearn how to hit the ball these are very wise words, and I particularly like the words I have highlighted - his focus is the ball and what happens to it after he has hit it.

evemccc

Visit site

My question is that when you’re a low single-figure HCAP, how do you know what to work on?

My aims for the series of lessons I’ve got is primarily to improve consistency of strike - no thinning and fatting, and then I play to have wedge lessons for chipping and pitching, and then FW woods off the deck..

But to get to 3 HCAP, presumably you’re fully capable of doing these things well….as well as drawing / cutting at will..so how do scratch golfers know what’s best to work on? Is their aim of swing changes to improve GIR or FIR?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an old habit of taking the club away outside the line and also guilty of lifting the club up. That is the main thing I've worked on this winter and making some good progress. Driver is behaving well and in general the ball striking, especially given the wet muddy conditions, is good. When I go for a swing MOT around Easter I know this will be the main area the pro will look at. Get it right and it gets it in a good position at the top. Then have to avoid throwing it over the top which is another old issue

Old habits are really hard to move away from, it takes a lot of practice to get new movements/patterns to stick. Golf in winter really does show if you're striking the ball well or not, its definitely less forgiving than in summer.

At least you don't suck the club way inside there's nowhere to go from there. Just ask my dad :ROFLMAO:

Funny thing for me was I shot my lowest score for a very long time yesterday in the cold windy conditions (4 under gross through the 12 holes that were open, this is not the norm.). I don't know if I was implementing what I was told in the lesson though it's difficult when you're trying to make changes and play golf at the same time.