I bought today.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People need to stop obsessing about what is and what isn't a wedge...
They're all lu,ps of metal on the end of a stick designed to hit the ball a certain distance...
It really, really doesn't matter what they're called.....
Exactly. What makes a 9 iron an iron and a PW a wedge? Nothing but name. They're exactly the same club with 4° difference in loft. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think that discussing all the aspects and features of new clubs, and comparing and contrasting them, is something that gives this forum some purpose.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s got to a point where the name relates more to flight spec than length. People need to get on board with this concept over length.

Oh, My 7w identifies as a pw!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Exactly. What makes a 9 iron an iron and a PW a wedge? Nothing but name. They're exactly the same club with 4° difference in loft. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's where you're wrong! 😃

In the examples for G430 quoted above the gaps between 9 iron and PW are 4, 5 and 3.5 degrees depending on which spec you choose.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
People need to stop obsessing about what is and what isn't a wedge...
They're all lu,ps of metal on the end of a stick designed to hit the ball a certain distance...
It really, really doesn't matter what they're called.....

This is it. People only have so much club head speed to propel the ball from A to B. The clubs are just tools to bridge the gap from longest to shortest.

Just do what suits you best.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
This is it. People only have so much club head speed to propel the ball from A to B. The clubs are just tools to bridge the gap from longest to shortest.

Just do what suits you best.
If I end up going for Mizuno 245s, I will be making that set's PW 1° stronger (42°)and then putting a 241 PW in (dropping the 245 4 iron) to make the loft gaps fit my existing wedges. I don't have a problem with doing that, but a 43° PW does seem a trifle "off" to me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If I end up going for Mizuno 245s, I will be making that set's PW 1° stronger (42°)and then putting a 241 PW in (dropping the 245 4 iron) to make the loft gaps fit my existing wedges. I don't have a problem with doing that, but a 43° PW does seem a trifle "off" to me.

Was it Paul Casey that had two 3 irons in the bag. One stronger than the other.

You do you, as the saying goes.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Ping G430 irons and their 5 wedges.

View attachment 51945
Yes I stopped at the 45.5 wedge .. which I think mine is 47.5 .. I don’t notice a to close a gap to the 50 degree I have in the glide 4. But I suspect the shaft length is also critical.
I prefer the glide 4 profile for wedges and not the G430 one.
Suffice to say I don’t really care about what my club number says, all I care about is the distances and the consistency of those distances.
I tried the i230 and they said I was not long enough to get 165yards out of the 7 iron ( I was playing I15s and was around 160 with that 7 iron and happy with it) I tried the i525 or530 I dunno but the latest hollow iron and they said that was the one for me. But I rejected it because of the hollow irons tendency to give occasional hot ones… whether they do it or not I prefer a straight forward cavity back that is just tuned for feel if anything. So I had the G430 and that was weakened off because of the std loft’s being so strong. I have them in 5 to 45.5 wedge.. so have not updated my wedges since I bought the iron set.
I have the glide4 in 50 and 56 degrees plus a 60 degree vokey
The course is updating the sand in the bunkers so I think the 60degree is not needed possibly and the 56 will be fine.
Where I am struggling a bit is 75-85 yards, this is more than 50% with 50 degrees and less than 75% with the 50 degree.. so it’s a bitty distance, but I am working on it and I am trying to not leave myself that distance as well.
Yes G430 are spades but predictable and forgiving.. I have seen a good scoring trend with them and I am content with that.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Was it Paul Casey that had two 3 irons in the bag. One stronger than the other.

You do you, as the saying goes.
Two 4 irons, but one strengthened to a 3 iron spec. In one comp, he pulled the the wrong one out the bag himself and flew the green by 12 or so yards, from memory. His and his caddy's faces were priceless.
If I do that, I'll get them to laser etch the loft on the 241! 😆

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two 4 irons, but one strengthened to a 3 iron spec. In one comp, he pulled the the wrong one out the bag himself and flew the green by 12 or so yards, from memory. His and his caddy's faces were priceless.
If I do that, I'll get them to laser etch the loft on the 241! 😆

Yeah that's the story. Real school boy stuff with a mizuno van at his disposal.