hybrids

pottz

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all

first time using this site. Thinking of getting a good hybrid club - anyone got any pointers. Currently use taylor nade rac/burner irons and woods but open to any make/model.

cheers

Pottz

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I dont think you can go far wrong with the TM Burner. A very forgiving hybrid but with a nice flight. Others worth looking at include the Cobra DWS Baffler, The Cally Diablo and the Ping G15. Best bet would be to find somewhere like a range or an American Golf and try as many as you can in your budget (MD do a very good one much cheaper than the bigger names).

Welcome along to the forum as well. Stick around and get involved.

pottz

Hacker
Visit site
thank you so much for the advice. i think i will pop along to the range

many thanks

Pottz

h'cap 12.9

taylor made burner 3 wood
taylor made rac irons and wedges
odyssey white hot putter

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing I would look out for is a little offset (or not) built into the head design.
I struggled with a Callaway model until I found that the Wilson Staff suited me very well.
It is essential you try a few, please beware of just ordering one (like I did :D)
I'd recommend anything with a UST proforce shaft.

NickSwan

Club Champion
www.3goodshots.com
I've been using Cleveland hybrids now for just over a year and it has really improved my game in terms of making the 'long iron' shots much easier and also hitting out of the rough. The only problem I have with them is when hitting into a strong headwind as they do tend to send the ball higher which means the wind can really get hold of it.

Thanks
Nick

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd certainly like to have a go with Cleveland hybrids, they do look good. Clearly there is a big debate on here about using them but you've still got to hit them straight!

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
Wilson Staff have just brought out the new models of the Fybrids.
It means you can pick up last years model for around 65 quid
(just ordered a 19.5 degree from jamgolf)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Dave, I find it interesting you recommend trying before buying, but then recommend a proforce shaft. Since I can't hit this shaft for love or money, I think your original statement re trying before buying carries more weight.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave, I find it interesting you recommend trying before buying, but then recommend a proforce shaft. Since I can't hit this shaft for love or money, I think your original statement re trying before buying carries more weight.

You are right! (of course). What I was trying to say was anything with this shaft ought to be included (if there are any) in any test/try-out. If it doesn't suit, you'll soon discover. If I was doing a hybrid shoot-out, I'd put in an offering from as many shaft makes as possible. I was by chance that I discovered the V2 seems to work for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I love the R9's. I went from TM Tour Burner (regular graphite) to the KBS steels. The R9 has less offset than the Burner and a thinner topline. It was a close call between the R9, the R9TP and the Ping I15 but I think my game isn't quite ready for the so called "better player" versions

Back on thread, I find the proforce hard to hit (again it might be more me) so I tend to look at the fitted shafts in either regular or stiff. I think with a hybrid whilst they will give a higher flight than traditional long irons its important to see their true trajectory as many fly high in a rainbow type arc and so are susceptible to windy conditions

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't wish to hijack the thread, but how do you work out which hybrid replaces which iron? A lot of hybrids give their loft - do you go for a hybrid with a similar loft to the iron you want to replace? eg my 3 iron is 20 degrees so do I swap for a hyrid of give or take 20 degrees? Or what?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't wish to hijack the thread, but how do you work out which hybrid replaces which iron? A lot of hybrids give their loft - do you go for a hybrid with a similar loft to the iron you want to replace? eg my 3 iron is 20 degrees so do I swap for a hyrid of give or take 20 degrees? Or what?

More or less, but there have been many stories on here about hybrid clubs going less/more distance than equivalent iron (loft). For example, my proper 3 iron goes further than my hybrid because my hybrid hits the ball higher...but overall it's just a few yards and fairly irrelevant at my standard.

What does everyone else think?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Graphite will hit longer than steel is my view, so if you want a real replacement, get the same steel shaft as your irons, and a similar loft to the club you are replacing.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Graphite will hit longer than steel is my view, so if you want a real replacement, get the same steel shaft as your irons, and a similar loft to the club you are replacing.

It's a good point. As irons come mostly in steel and woods almost exclusively in graphite, I wonder why more hybrids don't come with a steel option.

Maybe the fact that my 3 iron (as opposed to rescue) goes a bit further compared to my 4/5 iron is that it is a longer and lighter shaft. If I didn't use the rescue club so much, I'd simply play with a regular 3 iron. It's such a great club off the tee. Many years ago, I used a 2 iron (callaway big bertha) and it was brilliant on short holes etc.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Hybrid is 4 iron loft but carries further because of the graphite shaft, goes a bit higher too and tends to stop alot quicker.

I hardly hit the 4 anymore, only ever off the tee or into very strong head winds!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My hybrid is supposedly a 2-iron replacement at 19deg,and carries 10-15yds further than my 3-iron even though it has a graphite shaft.

Having said that, I find it the hardest club in my bag to hit well even though hybrids are supposed to be easy to hit. Maybe it's because I grew up without them :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If anyone is comparing the hybrid distance to a comparative lofted iron, (ie both have 18 degrees), the hybrid will always go further. Why?
Because they are longer. Simple.
An 18 Deg hybrid is almost an inch longer than a 2 iron

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If anyone is comparing the hybrid distance to a comparative lofted iron, (ie both have 18 degrees), the hybrid will always go further. Why?

I've just come back from a mammoth practice (up at a snowy range on a hillside in Wales). I was mostly trying 3h/5w/3w off the mat as making up distance (accurately) on long holes is really important to me. Interestingly, comparing the distance between 5w and 3h used off the mat as opposed to a low tee (I have a few cut-down rubber tees) was quite enlightening. The ball goes further off the mat it seems to me; it comes out lower on the face and doesn't balloon like off a small/medium tee.

We have a tee shot at mine that requires as close to 195-200 yards as possible but not more (there's a lake!). I use either a rescue or sometimes a real 3 iron, which I take out now and again. I am convinced I get closer to the water with a 3 iron as opposed to the rescue, but then again, I tee the ball a little higher with the rescue.

Maybe next game out, I should tee it up for an iron (like the smallest orange castle tee) rather than the red or blue.

1054castletees.jpg

Surely, if I tee it up but then hit it as if I was hitting it off the fairway, I'm actually going to lose distance?

or have I gone mad? :D

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I've just come back from a mammoth practice (up at a snowy range on a hillside in Wales). I was mostly trying 3h/5w/3w off the mat as making up distance (accurately) on long holes is really important to me. Interestingly, comparing the distance between 5w and 3h used off the mat as opposed to a low tee (I have a few cut-down rubber tees) was quite enlightening. The ball goes further off the mat it seems to me; it comes out lower on the face and doesn't balloon like off a small/medium tee.

We have a tee shot at mine that requires as close to 195-200 yards as possible but not more (there's a lake!). I use either a rescue or sometimes a real 3 iron, which I take out now and again. I am convinced I get closer to the water with a 3 iron as opposed to the rescue, but then again, I tee the ball a little higher with the rescue.

Maybe next game out, I should tee it up for an iron (like the smallest orange castle tee) rather than the red or blue.

Surely, if I tee it up but then hit it as if I was hitting it off the fairway, I'm actually going to lose distance?

or have I gone mad? :D

Playing it off the deck may compress (squeeze) the ball more, and get a better flight.