Quick questions about hybrids

sjw

Visit site
Do they come in different lie angles like irons do?

Some of you may have seen my post in the random irritations thread about how I might get myself a second-hand hybrid from a decent manufacturer to give it a go. Not sure what I should be looking for.

Anyone have any recommendations for decent hybrids < £100? My current POS is a 4 hybrid, 22 degrees. My bag currently goes driver, 3 wood, aforementioned POS, 5 iron....

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Not aware of hybrids coming in different lie angles, only lofts. My irons are 2 degrees up, but never worried about lie angles on woods/ hybrids purchased before.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
For under £100 you can get used SIM/ Mavrik/ G series hybrids from golfbidder - I have friends with all of these and they are all good clubs.

Obviously you can pay a bit more for one in better condition etc.

I use Wilson D7 hybrids, I have both the 3(19d) and 4(22d) - nothing fancy about them but solid clubs - less than £80 - https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/wilson-staff-d7-hybrid

RichA

Visit site
I've bought, tried and ended up selling several modern hybrids. I don't get on with them. The lie angles are too flat for me and they always feel too light.

Then I bought a Cobra Baffler hybrid on eBay. It's about 20 years old. It's delightful.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
As per NMW, lie angles don't seem to be a big thing to consider. If you are experimenting, Adams were the 'hybrid experts' with offerings that were distinctly iron-like to some almost wood-like.

RichA

Visit site
As per NMW, lie angles don't seem to be a big thing to consider. If you are experimenting, Adams were the 'hybrid experts' with offerings that were distinctly iron-like to some almost wood-like.
I'm tall and like an upright lie, so I've checked some of the manufacturers websites in the past.
Ping hybrids are quite flat and the adjustable ones only make them even flatter.
TM were the most upright, from memory.

sjw

Visit site
I'm tall and like an upright lie, so I've checked some of the manufacturers websites in the past.
Ping hybrids are quite flat and the adjustable ones only make them even flatter.
TM were the most upright, from memory.

Thanks for the info. My irons were fitted as 1 degree flat, so perhaps I'll lean more toward Ping in that case.

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
Does your 'like an upright lie' extend to your woods? While something to consider for wedge and irons, I'd suggest it would be rare (perhaps for the iron-like Adams DHY) where lie angle was a major consideration. And the adjustable ones likely had the facility to do so adjust lie too.

peld

Visit site
some of the more modern ones have the same loft sleeves as drivers so you can adjust the lofts and lies

My PXGs can be adjusted -1 to +1 in loft and lie down to -3.

RichA

Visit site
Does your 'like an upright lie' extend to your woods? While something to consider for wedge and irons, I'd suggest it would be rare (perhaps for the iron-like Adams DHY) where lie angle was a major consideration. And the adjustable ones likely had the facility to do so adjust lie too.
I don't use fairway woods.
When you're in a normal address posture and the only part of the club head touching the ground is the toe, then lie angle is definitely a consideration. We're all different, but I'm aware of others who don't like hybrids because they're generally too flat.

sjw

Visit site
Ok, next question then... is a hybrid actually right for me? Not that you guys would know, so I guess what I mean is, how would I know? As opposed to a 7 wood etc?

sjw

Visit site
How well do you hit a wood?
The only wood I have ever hit is a 3 wood and that's off a tee. Apart from a couple of range sessions where I've hit reasonably well off a mat, I usually struggle with topping it. It's more just a safety club for me when driver isn't behaving.

RichA

Visit site
Ok, next question then... is a hybrid actually right for me? Not that you guys would know, so I guess what I mean is, how would I know? As opposed to a 7 wood etc?
Seasoned golfers will tell you to get fitted.
If you're new to golf, you could do some research, buy cheap on eBay and experiment while you learn. There's always a market for clubs that don't suit you and the testing involves just playing plenty of golf and not worrying too much about your scores.

sjw

Visit site
Seasoned golfers will tell you to get fitted.
If you're new to golf, you could do some research, buy cheap on eBay and experiment while you learn. There's always a market for clubs that don't suit you and the testing involves just playing plenty of golf and not worrying too much about your scores.
I got fitted for irons recently and picked them up about a week ago which is how I came to realise that the irons in my starter set were trash - and therefore, by extension, the hybrid likely is as well. I don't want to spend a fortune which is why I'm looking at second-hand really. I just need something that's a bit longer than a 5 iron while not getting too difficult to hit - I struggle with consistency with my 5 iron so a 4 iron is out of the question for the moment. I don't suppose it matters which hybrid I go for really, I'm just going to look for something 2017 onwards at about 22 degree loft, regular flex, and see how I get on

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The only wood I have ever hit is a 3 wood and that's off a tee. Apart from a couple of range sessions where I've hit reasonably well off a mat, I usually struggle with topping it. It's more just a safety club for me when driver isn't behaving.

5 and 7 woods are far easier off the deck than a 3. I suppose the only way you can work out if woods are a better option for you is to try them all out! A half decent range set up should have demo clubs you can borrow to work it out?

sjw

Visit site
5 and 7 woods are far easier off the deck than a 3. I suppose the only way you can work out if woods are a better option for you is to try them all out! A half decent range set up should have demo clubs you can borrow to work it out?

That's a good idea. My fitter was based out of a shop at a TopTracer range, so I might ask in there to have a look!

(No, they don't use TopTracer for the fitting)