Hybrids,how do you hit yours

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
As per title how do you hit your hybrids, for me personally I'm in the hit them like a fairway wood ,but playing partners say I'm wrong and you should hit them like your irons.
Is there a right way or is it personal choice.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As per title how do you hit your hybrids, for me personally I'm in the hit them like a fairway wood ,but playing partners say I'm wrong and you should hit them like your irons.
Is there a right way or is it personal choice.

Badly!

I have an old TM #4 hybrid that is the get out of jail club. The #2 is just awful in my hands, although it gets used for bumping out from under trees.

Never thought of having a different swing. Ball position and where the lowest point of the arc is are different but I’ve always thought it’s the same swing?🤷‍♂️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per @Hobbit , badly. Certainly inconsistently. I hit them more like an iron than a wood but a 7 iron, not a 9 😵‍💫. I've got a lesson available to be used, it will be on this club.

On a good day they made a round easier, on a bad day they wreck the card.

I suppose @Norrin Radd do you hit them well? If so, how you hit them doesn't matter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play them like an iron.

but there again I often play my 3 wood like an iron.

A rescue is definitely my go to club for tight lies off the fairway for the long shots as well as out of the longer grass.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I find if I hit them like an iron I get nice high flight and plenty of stop
If I hit them like a fairway I get, effectively, a stinger-type shot that can roll forever...
Being able to hit both is quite useful
☝️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suppose I have the ball position something like a long iron. But I'm not sure my iron and fairway wood swings are radically different anyway. :unsure: I suppose I have a fraction more wrist hinge in my iron swing these days, but I don't particularly do that for woods - or for hybrid. So there you go.

Recently started slicing my hybrid though so I've obviously forgotten what I'm supposed to do anyway.

Reactions: sjw
D

Deleted member 1147

I’m not a fan of mine, and intend replacing it. But when hitting it well I set up like a FW. Sweep, but hit it slightly on the downswing so as to take a small amount of turf, a la Sergio.

babylonsinger

Visit site
No consistency with mine so I probably should ponder this myself. Been struggling with the longer clubs lately - a range session is definitely needed but just cant find the enthusiasm to go

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I hit my 16° and 20° hybrids a bit like a 4-wood and 5-wood or perhaps like a 3-and-a-half-wood and a 5-wood.
Longest iron is a 21° and the hybrids are definitely a different type of shot from my irons.
Don't know what the more lofted hybrids are like.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I no longer carry a hybrid. I’ve found I tend to get a ball flight which is too high regardless of loft, so playing with them at ours, which is almost always windy, can be a real problem. I tried hitting them like both irons and fairway woods, but the results were much the same.

Prefer my 2 and 4 iron for shots I used to need hybrids for, as my ball flight is far more penetrating with them.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Struggled with hybrids and took mine out of the bag for a couple of years.

Put one back in the bag a couple of months ago and treat it like an iron. Much more confident with it now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Get best results with my hybrids if I hit it like my 5/6iron. If it sneaks forward in my stance it'll be low(er) and bendy

Smoj

Visit site
I use a Titleist h2 19 lofted to 21, I kind of swing it as I would an iron I guess, and it's the only club in my bag that I can shot shape... I can purposefully go out to in and get a fantastic fade or really close the face and go in to out and have a baby draw. I can also top it pretty well too from time to time :cool:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a Titleist h2 19 lofted to 21, I kind of swing it as I would an iron I guess, and it's the only club in my bag that I can shot shape... I can purposefully go out to in and get a fantastic fade or really close the face and go in to out and have a baby draw. I can also top it pretty well too from time to time :cool:
My mates like that he hits them so good he calls it “the wand”

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My hybrids are easily the best clubs in my bag. I've never really tried fairway woods, and my irons are pretty dreadful. I've got 19. 22. and 26 degree hybrids in the bag, and I'm toying with the idea of adding a 30 and a 34.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site