Hybrid Hell...

Grizzly

Visit site
OK, the title is a tad dramatic.

But...assistance please? Been back in the game for 18 months, got clubs fitted etc and for the most part - like 12/13 in my bag - I hit them at the top end of what my limited ability will allow in that when I don't lift my head, I have a relatively consistent miss (soft left) and relatively consistent distances.

The 13th club is causing real issues though - I play D,3,5, 21 degree hybrid then 5-SW and the hybrid is almost unhitttable. I thought pre-lockdown it might be in my head but after a rest and with everything else working ok, I have still hit every shot sharp left with it - like, Phil Mickelson's driving levels of miss.

Do I just accept that hybrids are not for me?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hybrids were always hook machines for me until i found one (original TM M1) with a slightly open face and moveable weights, worth a try if youre bad one is a big hook

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It could be as simple as you have the ball too far forward in your stance.
Move it a bit nearer the middle and see what happens.
Which hybrid isn't..?

Mandofred

Visit site
Hybrids have never tended to go left for me. I've never understood why so many people have a hooking issue. Mine are adjustable 2 degrees either way.....no real effect on my ball flight other than height.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
hybrids were always hook machines for me until i found one (original TM M1) with a slightly open face and moveable weights, worth a try if youre bad one is a big hook

I hear you on that one, but found the more 'Iron' shaped clubs were the answer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hybrids have never tended to go left for me. I've never understood why so many people have a hooking issue. Mine are adjustable 2 degrees either way.....no real effect on my ball flight other than height.
Same here, although there's probably not a club on earth I wouldn't be able to fade. Finding a hybrid or wood I could hit right to left is the holy grail, ha.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Before lockdown I pulled the trigger on 2 X one length hybrids (I play normal length in everything else) wow they really go

The 21 degree I been using off tee if it's too windy for a driver and the 24 degree is my go to club now for anything from a bump and run to a tight second shot on a par 5 or long par 4

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May be a shaft issue buy one with interchangeable shafts and try different shafts.

When it comes a technique issue are you trying to hit it like an iron or a fairway wood.
Personally I hit mine like I am hitting an iron aiming for a ball then turf strike with a shallow divot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I went the opposite way. Struggled with my four and five irons and so swapped for the equivalent hybrid. Bought them from a well known second hand golf store, one of which was still in the wrapper and well under RRP. Far more versatile especially from the semi rough and distance and more importantly the dispersion is better. I am firmly in the hybrid camp and well worth persevering with.

If I was the OP I'd be hitting the practice ground/range and working through it. In my opinion they are more forgiving and easier to hit whether it's a sweep away or like and iron and hit down on it. Worse case scenario get a lesson but stick with it

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its taken me a while to get the hang of striking my hybrid (its a 17 degree Nike Covert II). Bottom line is ensuring that I just put a smooth swing on the club and don't try and force it. Once I slowed things down I made much better contact.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Im still trying to get used to my callaway xr hybrid 19 degrees. Very rarely pull it out on the course as just not confident as very inconsistent with it on the range.
I was trying to hit it like a fairway wood but think i need to treat it like an iron more.

A work in progress.

Grizzly

Visit site
Thanks for the answers guys. To pick up some of the questions, its a Cobra F8 (the 2018/19 model) at 21 degrees, with a 70g stiff shaft (so no correlation with my Titleist fairways). I've been trying to hit it like an iron as my conscious swing thought, and I think I have the ball positioned just slightly ahead of where I would for my 5 iron, which I hit well enough within my skill set.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People seem to see hybrids as either destructive, hook seems to be the go to destructive shot, or absolutely wonderful. I can do both of those with the odd low drilled shot thrown in :oops:. When they work well they really are the most marvellous clubs, making life much easier. When they work...............

D

Deleted member 3432

Thanks for the answers guys. To pick up some of the questions, its a Cobra F8 (the 2018/19 model) at 21 degrees, with a 70g stiff shaft (so no correlation with my Titleist fairways). I've been trying to hit it like an iron as my conscious swing thought, and I think I have the ball positioned just slightly ahead of where I would for my 5 iron, which I hit well enough within my skill set.

What weight are your iron shafts?

What weight are you fairway shafts?

Mandofred

Visit site
What weight are your iron shafts?

What weight are you fairway shafts?
You would think I would know this kind of stuff.....very detail oriented on my swing. If it's too heavy, I won't like it. If it's too light, I won't like it. If it's juuuuussssstttt right......well.....something about bears....