Hybrid Hell...

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would recommend going to a golf shop with attached driving range and trying a few. They're not all the same, some might suit you more than others.

My hybrids are pretty old, (Cleveland Mashie's), but I like that they have a heavier feeling head than a lot of the more modern ones. At least that's how they feel, might not be borne out in the numbers.

Anyway, I was also a slow adopter when it came to hybrids, but now I wouldn't be without them. Compared to hitting a 3 or a 4 iron, it's like cheating. However, I find a 5 iron even easier to hit, and a 6 iron easier than that, etc.so if I have a tee shot that really requires safety, it's an iron.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would rather stand on a long par 3 with a hybrid in my hand than something like a 4 iron. I can see how they divide golfers and they are definitely a marmite club. Definitely (imo) worth persevering with and more versatile than a long iron

JustWayne

Visit site
I’ve got a Ping G410 (4) hybrid, probably the sweetest club in my bag to hit, I’d say first thing you should try is putting your ball just about where you hit your 7, 8 iron to start, I get amazing ball flight, distance and consistency from there.
But if you still struggle, i think you have to consider getting a lesson just focused on hitting your hybrid.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
OK, the title is a tad dramatic.

But...assistance please? Been back in the game for 18 months, got clubs fitted etc and for the most part - like 12/13 in my bag - I hit them at the top end of what my limited ability will allow in that when I don't lift my head, I have a relatively consistent miss (soft left) and relatively consistent distances.

The 13th club is causing real issues though - I play D,3,5, 21 degree hybrid then 5-SW and the hybrid is almost unhitttable. I thought pre-lockdown it might be in my head but after a rest and with everything else working ok, I have still hit every shot sharp left with it - like, Phil Mickelson's driving levels of miss.

Do I just accept that hybrids are not for me?

I personally would say persevere and practice. Also use it on the course in low risk situations... for example 200 yards plus when you have room to miss. This should help to play some more relaxed shots with it and build up confidence.

Ultimately almost all amateurs and most pros use a hybrid, so they have their place in the game. They are not a quirk that only certain people can use. They are almost as ubiquitous as a 7 iron.

A hybrid is designed to provide easier launch than long irons and should help amateurs to get optimal height on a longer shot to get more distance than a similar lofted iron would provide.

Therefore, lets assume you hit a well struck 4 hybrid 200 yards... what is your realistic option from the fairway or 1st cut if you don't learn to have this shot?

Hit a 5 iron 180 and accept that you probably won't hit it far enough? Lay up with a mid iron and accept you simply can't access a green from 200 yards in 1 shot?
Hit a 3 wood, which you might have to hit easy and only from good lies.
Add a 3 or 4 iron to your bag? Is this really going to give better results, or different results to your 5 iron?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I struggled hitting hybrids and then was told when I went for an iron fitting that as I have a 2° flat fitting and many hybrids can't be adjusted to that level. In the end I have an old Cleveland Classic that I found that works fine for me but I went through a few to get to here.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Also more generally, I think a huge problem people have when hitting hybrids is they are always playing a high tariff shot. Going for a green from 200 yards from the fairway or rough.

It's human nature you might tighten up, grip the club a bit harder, try and swing a bit longer and faster etc. Ultimately leading to poor results and low confidence.

To improve confidence, try hitting it off a few tees and you will hopefully see good results.

You have to think what are the chances of hitting a green from that distance, even with a good shot? For the PGA Tour, the top ranked player last year was 60% of greens from 200+ yard approaches. So even the very best player was missing 40% of greens. And the best player in the world, Rory McIlroy, was missing 45% of greens from that distance. And they are only going in with a hybrid on shots well over 200 yards, more like 250.

So lets say, from 200 yards, you might hit the green 15% of the time. You have to manage what happens that other 85% of the time. If there's a 40 yard slice in play, then it's not worth taking it on. if you can narrow those bad shots to just a little short, little off line etc. Then keep it in play.

If you can't, then it's a 7 iron / wedge from that kind of distance and accept you have to get better.

Mandofred

Visit site
I think we are playing a qualifying round this weekend. I have made 2 big adjustments that are really paying off. One is that I changed to midsize grips (small hands) just feels better. Second is that I have really really shortened my swing. Hitting it just as far but with better timing and accuracy. I see soooo many people take too long of a backswing and it's just messing them up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Second is that I have really really shortened my swing. Hitting it just as far but with better timing and accuracy. I see soooo many people take too long of a backswing and it's just messing them up.

100% agree. It's amazing how many times I go out and am slapping it about and realise I have to feel like I'm only taking the club back to 9 o'clock and then turn through the ball. Compact and controlled.

Also incredible how many elite pros have noticeably abbreviated back swings. John Rahm and Tommy Fleetwood are two top ranked guys that spring to mind.

D

Deleted member 3432

irons 105g woods 65g

A slightly heavier shaft around 80/85g could be a better option.

I think hybrids are like 3 woods in that it can take a bit of a search to find the 'right' one.

p33j4y

Visit site
I think most hybrids suffer from too light shafts. My first hybrid had a 70g shaft versus 115g shafts in my irons. I couldn’t hit it to save my life. Eventually I replaced the shaft with a 95g iron shaft, which turned the club into the safest club in my bag. I now carry 4 hybrids (3 through 6) which are my favourite clubs. All of them with shafts matching my irons, not my wood.

Now if only I could find (or build) a reliable wood ...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of common sense written above. My tuppence worth is to hit it at a range where you've got a target in the ideal landing zone and work on distance and dispersion and learn how to hit it. I've been told to compress like an iron ("hit it like the iron it's replacing") but have had success with sweeping it away which is my preferred method