Hybrid as a chipper

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried this? Saw a YouTube video last week and gave it a try today. Much more controlled than a wedge chip in my opinion but a much more limited shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been using it in the winter when it's muddy and the ball is up against the collar or on a bare lie. Comes off a little hotter than I hoped and needs work but a better percentage shot than taking a wedge or putter in those circumstances

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
I use it sometimes if I'm on the fringe and the ball is up against rough. Cuts through long grass nice and face keeps straight. Don't use it for normal chip and runs my 8 iron is for that

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes it's a shot I use from time to time.

Put a lot of work into playing chip and runs with all irons from 6i to wedges so have used the hybrid shot less and less.

Wolf

Visit site
Yup used it a lot in past and will again it's a good shot to have. Though to be fair I practise chipping with every iron always have, as a junior used to go through the bag from 3 iron down to Wedges playing alsorts of shots, it's something I got into after reading about Seve and seeing one of our assistants doing so as a kid it felt natural to do and still do it now, played a peach of chip today with a 5 iron. I think chipping is fun and let's you be imaginative so try alsorts in practise and try to take it to the course.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A PP of mine tried it a couple of months ago, on his first attempt it was going like a rocket, hit the pin and dropped. His next 10 attempts ended up through the green. Gave it up as a bad job.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have hit 10s of thousands of balls in wedge practice.

I tried it round the practice green and realised to get the same sort of accuracy, particularly lengthwise I would need to put in too time to much practice.

If I had my time again it is certainly something I would put the practice time in to.

Reactions: Doh

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't - comes out far too hot with too little feel for my liking. A regular PP is red hot with it though and usually gets up and down with it

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Used it most of the year, find my 23* the best. I had it pretty much sorted after 2hrs practice tops.

I find a can really get a good feel, tested it on a 3 tiered practice green gainer various clubs and the 23* was far more consistent. I adopted this method late spring and found it consistent throughout all seasons.

D

Deleted member 15717

It’s a shot I used to use a lot, then stopped, and should get back into using...although I am experimenting with a 4i in the bag instead of a hybrid now.

It is a great shot, and one that does need a little practice to get how hot it comes off the face

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Plenty of people use their hybrid for chipping I think.

Been using it in the winter when it's muddy and the ball is up against the collar or on a bare lie. Comes off a little hotter than I hoped and needs work but a better percentage shot than taking a wedge or putter in those circumstances
This is exactly what I found when I tried it. Even a little tap seems to ping off the face quite quickly. So I don't use it, I'll use anything between 7, 8, 9 or PW for chip and runs now. I find it easier to play that shot with the 7 or 8 than the hybrid.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I have been using my 2 iron recently and its been ok - better than the normal crap I have to deal with.

it got to the point where I was thinking of getting my chipper out of the cupboard as my short game was costing me too many shots.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've not practised with this much.

I think running the ball up a tightly mown slope onto the green (at a links style course) it where this would be useful.

I think unless you were playing in firm and fast conditions all the time, it wouldn't be better than just practising chip and run shots with your irons.