Hybrid advice to go with JPX800pro set.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently bought a set of Mizuno JPX800pro's. It's the first set I have ever bought without a 3 iron. I'm already feeling like there is a gap in my bag.

I carry a driver, 3 wood and a Taylormade rescue dual 16degree. The rescue dual is a low penetrating 2 iron type flight, which is great, but the distance gap between that and the 4 iron is too large for my liking (aprox 185-190 4 iron and 215-225 for the rescue)

I would idealy like to get another rescue to fill the gap and want something that will give a fairly high, soft landing flight. I have hit the new Taylormade rescue 11, in 23.5 degrees on a range and love the feel and ball flight. The only trouble is the local range is not very good, and it's near on impossible to tell distances.

Does anyone have any experience with the new Taylormades, and how they perform distance wise compared to long irons?

Or has any anyone replaced a 3 iron in JPXpros and if so what with?

I play of 9 and am a fairly consistent ball striker if that makes any difference to recomendations.

Ta

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
I really don't like the look of the JPX hybrids at all, they are a bit "woody" looking and fussy to my eye. Unless you mean the JPX fli-hi, which is better.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I really don't like the look of the JPX hybrids at all, they are a bit "woody" looking and fussy to my eye. Unless you mean the JPX fli-hi, which is better.

Mizuno MP CLK?

Fli-Hi's are nice (....... I have one) but the MP CLK is a little more versitile off the deck.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
So what lofts are people using as 3 iron replacements?

The 3 iron loft on the JPX pro's is 20 degrees. However, I'm thinking that a higher loft in a hybrid may go just as far, as the hybrids have a slightly longer shaft, more forgiveness and I would assume a faster ball speed as a result of the springier face?

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i use mizzy hybrids to replace 3 and 4 iron BUT with steel shafts. i feel this fills the gap for me. i choose steel shafts as i felt i would always want to belt it with graphite shafts

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
i would estimate 10 -15 yards, i do reckon that the spread is even between the 3, 4, then 5 iron. i read somewhere that having the steel keeps it distance wise just like an iron. also the shafts are lite shafts which assume helps keep it like that. if you have just got your irons best seek advice from the mizzy boys. i cant or my mind cant hit my 4 iron. so replaced them with these hybrids. i was looking to change but i really like them and probably not change for a while if ever.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I generally use a 19* as a 3-iron replacement. 23.5 seems like a 5H to me. Those (19* ones) I've used are 909H, Nakashima, Sonartec MD, Rescue (Original). Hybrids can be a bit 'personal taste' too. The 2 in my bag are different styles (the TM is chunky so useable anywhere, the Adams is delicate and only for use from tee, fairway or semi).

Good Luck searching

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers. I was pretty sure the 23.5 was going to be too lofty but always good to get opinions. Might see if I can try a 20 out and see how that flies.