Hunter Mahan

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So players with talent aren't allowed to hit poor shots? Rules out everyone that does.

Spieth doesn't 'score out of nothing', he is a ball striker of serious prowess first and foremost, who wins when he putts well. He also happens to have perhaps the strongest mental game since Tiger For an all round golf game, under various conditions, you'll struggle to find a better player in the last 10 years - if that's not talent I don't know what is.

And I've just got to quickly comment on this... Mickelsons short game isn't the best because he's in trouble the most!!!!

Of course good players can hit bad shots. I don’t really see the issue here. None of the top players are the best at all aspects of the game, or they’d dominate every week. All I’m saying is that imo his mental toughness is his greatest asset. I’ve seen Spieth win more comps when it appears he’s playing poorly than I have others. It’s actaully meant as a compliment to him, but I think that’s been lost somewhere.

We will disagree about mickelson. Because for me he seems to revel in the trouble. Almost needing to be up against it to feel inspired.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So players with talent aren't allowed to hit poor shots? Rules out everyone that does.

Spieth doesn't 'score out of nothing', he is a ball striker of serious prowess first and foremost, who wins when he putts well. He also happens to have perhaps the strongest mental game since Tiger For an all round golf game, under various conditions, you'll struggle to find a better player in the last 10 years - if that's not talent I don't know what is.

And I've just got to quickly comment on this... Mickelsons short game isn't the best because he's in trouble the most!!!!
All the top guys have hit it off the planet at one time or another, Rory hit part of Augusta that hadn't been seen before in 2010. They all hit poor shots just they are generally not seen on tv, the tv only usually focuses on the top15 or 20 of the leadeboard

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Of course good players can hit bad shots. I don’t really see the issue here. None of the top players are the best at all aspects of the game, or they’d dominate every week. All I’m saying is that imo his mental toughness is his greatest asset. I’ve seen Spieth win more comps when it appears he’s playing poorly than I have others. It’s actaully meant as a compliment to him, but I think that’s been lost somewhere.

We will disagree about mickelson. Because for me he seems to revel in the trouble. Almost needing to be up against it to feel inspired.
Don't know he seemed pretty inspired when he had a putt for 62 at troon. MICKELSON is another who's iron game is seriously underrated because of his short game, he is a phenomenal iron player

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Don't know he seemed pretty inspired when he had a putt for 62 at troon. MICKELSON is another who's iron game is seriously underrated because of his short game, he is a phenomenal iron player

Let’s be honest. All top players are gonna have skills that appear awesome to us amateurs.

I think Phil’s comments after the Ryder cup sum him up. There was no hiding there for his game, if he rated it (his Alround game) all so highly he wouldn’t have benn scared of a course.

Anyways this has gone miles off track with me justifying an opinion. So I’ll bow out now.

Re the initial post. Mahan is Never a mere journeyman.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Let’s be honest. All top players are gonna have skills that appear awesome to us amateurs.

I think Phil’s comments after the Ryder cup sum him up. There was no hiding there for his game, if he rated it (his Alround game) all so highly he wouldn’t have benn scared of a course.

Anyways this has gone miles off track with me justifying an opinion. So I’ll bow out now.

Re the initial post. Mahan is Never a mere journeyman.
He's never been a straight driver consistently, put him on a course where either he doesn't really need to hit driver or it's worth the risk and he will score very well.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just putting it out there.

Spieth is actually now a bang average putter, and is god awful from
6ft and in.

And my view from a few years has come true - if he can’t hole and obscene number of 20ft putts, he simply cannot compete anymore

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
People's Spieth takes on here are terribly informed and driven by the way golf is shown on TV (especially US focused broadcasts) which focus on putting and the odd long drive.

He's an incredibly good iron player. His approach play is relatively better than his putting.

Agreed. Have made this point a few times on here and yet all the focus on Spieth seems to be he can't compete when he's not rolling in 30 footers, which I just don't agree with. His iron play is superb, he's one of the best on Tour with an iron in hand and his wedge play is probably more under-rated than any element of any player on Tour's game, he's incredible with a wedge in hand. Another thing Spieth doesn't get enough credit for is his game management, he misses fairways and greens but rarely on the wrong side or short side, he knows his misses, he knows where he can bail out and he plays to it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed. Have made this point a few times on here and yet all the focus on Spieth seems to be he can't compete when he's not rolling in 30 footers, which I just don't agree with. His iron play is superb, he's one of the best on Tour with an iron in hand and his wedge play is probably more under-rated than any element of any player on Tour's game, he's incredible with a wedge in hand. Another thing Spieth doesn't get enough credit for is his game management, he misses fairways and greens but rarely on the wrong side or short side, he knows his misses, he knows where he can bail out and he plays to it.
The fact his iron play is superb (which I agree with) and he is playing awful proves the point

You’ve contradicted yourself in the same post.

2015 strokes gained putting he was 2nd
2016- 9th
2017 - 39th
2018 - 123rd

Last year he LOST strokes on the field because he has the yips from 6ft and in, and holing 25% of 20-25ft putts is not sustainable

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The fact his iron play is superb (which I agree with) and he is playing awful proves the point

You’ve contradicted yourself in the same post.

2015 strokes gained putting he was 2nd
2016- 9th
2017 - 39th
2018 - 123rd

Last year he LOST strokes on the field because he has the yips from 6ft and in, and holing 25% of 20-25ft putts is not sustainable

Yeah, it's going to be tough to win tournaments when you're 123rd in SG Putting, but that's not the only reason he had a bad year. In 2015 he was Top 10 in SG Tee-to-Green, SG Around the Green, as well as putting, and his worst category was SG Off-the-Tee where he ranked 15th, that's remarkable all-round performance that he didn't get credit for, all the focus was on his putting on the broadcasts. So when Spieth's on form he's great all around, there's more to his game than just his putting. Then you look at last year where his best category was SG Tee-to-Green where he ranked 23rd and didn't break the top 30 in any other category, Spieth's not just putting badly, he's playing badly all around compared to what he's capable of. It's not as simple as him being rubbish from 6ft, he out-putted Finau and Molinari from that range and they still managed great years.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Always liked him
Gets on with it and always seemed a decent guy.
But...
Regardless of his past exploits, he's in real danger of becoming a Journeyman.
Over 100 tournaments in the last year's and only 5 top 10s...misses the cut every other event.
Yes he's had issues away from golf and you can't ignore that but it's not like he hasn't been playing.
Isn't the definition of a Journeyman someone who plays, doesn't win but picks up cheques half of the time?
He may have been one of the best in the world but, since 2015, he's everything a Journeyman is supposed to be.
He's only 36 so plenty of time to get it back.