Hunter Mahan

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is there always a need to compare to try and dismiss stuff

Mahan has a lovely smooth traditional swing , it’s certainly one to copy

As for comparing him to Deshambles - Mahan has a couple of WGC plus a Fed Ex play off Comp to his name - that’s a touch more than your regular tour wins - he also has good results in Majors. Dechambeau hasn’t got to that level yet - I expect he will but his swing certainly looks like one that could cause issues when not going well

As for the looks - I prefer the classic looking like Rose, Scott , Mahan and even Rory - smooth

Has Hunter still got the dreaded things with his chipping?

He got rid of that quickly after 2010 - he just had loads of family stuff and other priorities for a while

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve always thought Spieth was the least talented of the latest generation. Once his ridiculous putting stats faded away, so did his wins.

Like you say though he knows how to golf. Imo put his grit into nay of the others (Rory, DJ, Day, Koepka and the rest) and they’d be the dominant player atm.
I'd argue that makes him the most talented, he has a natural affinity to get it round in the lowest number. That really can't be taught to an extent, it's a natural instinct. His putting when it's on is crazy, he's the best mid to long range putter I've seen, he does lots of things well, nothing spectacular but a lot of things well. He just knows how to play and I think if you get him on his game he is a hard man to beat because he's as tough as they come mentally

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd argue that makes him the most talented, he has a natural affinity to get it round in the lowest number. That really can't be taught to an extent, it's a natural instinct. His putting when it's on is crazy, he's the best mid to long range putter I've seen, he does lots of things well, nothing spectacular but a lot of things well. He just knows how to play and I think if you get him on his game he is a hard man to beat because he's as tough as they come mentally

I guess depends what you’re calling a talent. For me with his mentality is his talent. Not his golf skill. Obviously he is skilled, but he strikes me as someone that would ave succeeded in whatever they did.

His putting now seems to have dropped off, at one point he was holing more long putts than I’ve seen since tiger. Now it doesn’t seem quite right. I think since the masters he lost (which was coming as he’d been awful tee to green all week) he hasn’t quite been close enough often enough to dominate like it looked he would.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

As for comparing him to Deshambles - Mahan has a couple of WGC plus a Fed Ex play off Comp to his name - that’s a touch more than your regular tour wins - he also has good results in Majors. Dechambeau hasn’t got to that level yet - I expect he will but his swing certainly looks like one that could cause issues when not going well

As for the looks - I prefer the classic looking like Rose, Scott , Mahan and even Rory - smooth

He got rid of that quickly after 2010 - he just had loads of family stuff and other priorities for a while

You tell us! ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

You talk about dismissing stuff and then call DeChambeau by a joke name and say he hasn't got to that level yet. Of course not, he's only been on tour five minutes

Wolf

Visit site

The irony of saying why compare or dismiss things yet you're second sentence is to dismiss DeChambeau with an insulting name :rolleyes:

Then you go on to compare Mahans wins v Bryson, so you're comparing as well as dismissing! Plus Bryson already has 2 Fed Ex wins already and number of wins in the last 6 months alone. Yes he doesn't have the WGC but has a long career ahead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you telling me this is not a thing of beauty to wax lyrical about.....

It honestly does nothing for me. As it said earlier, it looks like about 50 other pros' swings and doesn't really stand out to me. The ones I remember and enjoy watching are the crazy ones. The ugly ducklings. Something like Furyk for example - so bizarre, and so interesting. More unique.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess depends what you’re calling a talent. For me with his mentality is his talent. Not his golf skill. Obviously he is skilled, but he strikes me as someone that would ave succeeded in whatever they did.

His putting now seems to have dropped off, at one point he was holing more long putts than I’ve seen since tiger. Now it doesn’t seem quite right. I think since the masters he lost (which was coming as he’d been awful tee to green all week) he hasn’t quite been close enough often enough to dominate like it looked he would.
I disagree in that, skills for me are developmental and honed over long periods of time. You can't really hone the way your mind works or how you naturally deal with things mentally. I don't think his loss at the masters affected him, you only have to look at his performance in the last round of last year's masters or the last 6 holes of the 17 open, probably the best stretch of golf I've seen anybody play regardless. He is the type of player that just plods along and comes alight, he isn't ever going to dominate, that's not him, he won't shy away from a fight though

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I disagree in that, skills for me are developmental and honed over long periods of time. You can't really hone the way your mind works or how you naturally deal with things mentally. I don't think his loss at the masters affected him, you only have to look at his performance in the last round of last year's masters or the last 6 holes of the 17 open, probably the best stretch of golf I've seen anybody play regardless. He is the type of player that just plods along and comes alight, he isn't ever going to dominate, that's not him, he won't shy away from a fight though

I think when he first came in the scene he looked like he would dismante everyone though. Mainly coz he was holding everything. Take that away and he fades back to the pack.

The end of the open sums him up. He didn’t win that through skill, he won it through grit and determination. For me talent is a natural ability at something. So the likes or Rory for example I’d class as more talented. That being said, I thin’ in all sports. The mental side is more important.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think when he first came in the scene he looked like he would dismante everyone though. Mainly coz he was holding everything. Take that away and he fades back to the pack.
The end of the open sums him up. He didn’t win that through skill, he won it through grit and determination. For me talent is a natural ability at something. So the likes or Rory for example I’d class as more talented. That being said, I thin’ in all sports. The mental side is more important.
I'd say spieth is more talented, he's just more unconventional. He doesn't have to hit it perfect to win, Rory does because you put a wedge and putter in his hand and he's very mediocre. Spieth is just decent at everything, there are no real weak spots, plus in the heat of the moment he fight even if it's not going his way.

Wolf

Visit site
I'd say spieth is more talented, he's just more unconventional. He doesn't have to hit it perfect to win, Rory does because you put a wedge and putter in his hand and he's very mediocre. Spieth is just decent at everything, there are no real weak spots, plus in the heat of the moment he fight even if it's not going his way.
I'd actually agree with this, I'm huge fan of Spieths.

He doesn't have a poster boy golf swing like a Rory, but I do think he has an overall better package even when he isn't driving well he has an ability to get the ball around the course and score well and keep himself in a tournament. He also has the mental fortitude to just find a way and keep himself in the hunt and also to win when he doesn't have his game firing on all cylinders, in some ways Spieth reminds me of Faldo he will do what's needed to get it round and not stop working till the last putt is holed. Hoping he has a big year and think he as a few more majors in him yet.

For me unless Rory has absolutely everything working he can't and doesn't tend to win, he certainly isn't ever going to be a player that can grind it to achieve a win.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
People's Spieth takes on here are terribly informed and driven by the way golf is shown on TV (especially US focused broadcasts) which focus on putting and the odd long drive.

He's an incredibly good iron player. His approach play is relatively better than his putting.

As for Mahan, beautiful swing 😍

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

I think you're being polite by saying Rory is mediocre, I'd say brutal!!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep the argument for me is that people assume spieth isn't as talented because his swing isnt as aesthetically pleasing. You could say Mahan is more talented than both if using this assumption as he has a better looking and more disireable swing than either

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

He shot -5 on the last 6 holes of a major, including one of the greatest shots in a major in recent years and didn't win it through skill?! 😂😂😂

Wolf

Visit site
People's Spieth takes on here are terribly informed and driven by the way golf is shown on TV (especially US focused broadcasts) which focus on putting and the odd long drive.

He's an incredibly good iron player. His approach play is relatively better than his putting.

As for Mahan, beautiful swing 😍
Agreed about his iron play, watched him up close at Le golf National at the RC and his iron play and ball striking was sensational to watch. Koepka was another whose ball striking impressed me as well.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He shot -5 on the last 6 holes of a major, including one of the greatest shots in a major in recent years and didn't win it through skill?! 😂😂😂
Obviously skill was involved here but there was a major grind it out mentality for him to do that which is what I assume he was meaning. The only other player I'd see doing a similar thing would be tiger

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed about his iron play, watched him up close at Le golf National at the RC and his iron play and ball striking was sensational to watch. Koepka was another whose ball striking impressed me as well.
Best iron player by a country mile is woods, though if you want to hear how an iron should be struck watch stenson he compresses the ball more than anybody. You know when he strikes it

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Would you say the tee shot into the driving range was talent? He manages to score out of nothing and I totally applaud it. But for me it’s the same with Mickelson and his short game. He’s so good at it as the rest of his game can put him in trouble.

I guess it comes down to what you consider skill or mental toughness. Skill for me is the basics, stuff you practice and perfect. Someone like molinaro or rose are your standard tee to green guys. Plot around and have hot days. I’m nit saying they’re better. Just that I think there are quite a few who’s general game is better than Spieth nit he someone gets it done.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Would you say the tee shot into the driving range was talent? He manages to score out of nothing and I totally applaud it. But for me it’s the same with Mickelson and his short game. He’s so good at it as the rest of his game can put him in trouble.

I guess it comes down to what you consider skill or mental toughness. Skill for me is the basics, stuff you practice and perfect. Someone like molinaro or rose are your standard tee to green guys. Plot around and have hot days. I’m nit saying they’re better. Just that I think there are quite a few who’s general game is better than Spieth nit he someone gets it done.

So players with talent aren't allowed to hit poor shots? Rules out everyone that does.

Spieth doesn't 'score out of nothing', he is a ball striker of serious prowess first and foremost, who wins when he putts well. He also happens to have perhaps the strongest mental game since Tiger For an all round golf game, under various conditions, you'll struggle to find a better player in the last 10 years - if that's not talent I don't know what is.

And I've just got to quickly comment on this... Mickelsons short game isn't the best because he's in trouble the most!!!!