Hunter Mahan

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
He is. The word is that his game started going astray & his previous coach got him tied in knots trying to put him right. He went to Jim Hardy's partner, Chris O'Connell, who coaches Kuchar & has been improving dramatically.
He had kids aswell and I think he was under pressure on the family side as well as on the golf side, just got on top of him I guess

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He isn’t journey man at all

Got into the top 5 of the world , won 2 WGC , at one stage was the highest ranking US player , a number of Ryder Cups , 10 wins on tour

Nowhere near a journeyman for goodness sake

Totally agree with this.

For anyone to even suggest he is a journeyman is absurd and knows very little about the game.

Great player who lost his way and glad to see him back and wish him well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely not a journeyman but whether he can come back to anywhere near the form of old remains to be seen. I think golf at the very top level has moved forward a fraction since he was winning events and playing RC's. He's playing catch up to a degree

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it hilarious people touching themselves over how lovely his swing is, as if it matters. That great swing obviously hasn't got him anywhere lately. Meanwhile DeChambeau gets hate for his swing, but it wins tournaments apparently. Almost is if there was no correlation between how nice your swing looks and whether it's any good.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find it hilarious people touching themselves over how lovely his swing is, as if it matters. That great swing obviously hasn't got him anywhere lately. Meanwhile DeChambeau gets hate for his swing, but it wins tournaments apparently. Almost is if there was no correlation between how nice your swing looks and whether it's any good.

It is a game of golf, not a game of swing.

That said, I just dislike watching ugly golf swings.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a game of golf, not a game of swing.

That said, I just dislike watching ugly golf swings.
I think I actually prefer the ugly ones, or at least the madcap/unusual ones. Matthew Wolff for example, his swing is bizarre but he's apparently the next, next big thing (look him up if you haven't seen it). Bubba's swing is crazy but he's my favourite golfer to watch.

I've looked up this Mahan guy's swing after reading this, and it's nothing special to me. I can't tell it apart from 50 other normal, orthodox swings. Give me Ho-Sung Choi over him any day!

Wolf

Visit site
I think I actually prefer the ugly ones, or at least the madcap/unusual ones. Matthew Wolff for example, his swing is bizarre but he's apparently the next, next big thing (look him up if you haven't seen it). Bubba's swing is crazy but he's my favourite golfer to watch.

I've looked up this Mahan guy's swing after reading this, and it's nothing special to me. I can't tell it apart from 50 other normal, orthodox swings. Give me Ho-Sung Choi over him any day!
Matt Wolff did pretty well in the Phoenix Open last week just faded over the last 36 holes a bit.

I like Ryan Moore swing his is straight up and a big loop down.

Many swings over the years been all over the place Eamon Darcys had more loops than a roller coaster ride.

Got to say though I cannot stand watching Bubba not even for his swing just everything about it for me just winds me up, don't know why it just does.

Choi is playing the Pebble Beach event this week so probably get a fair bit of him on the TV this week

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Couldn't care what his swing looks like or any swing really for that matter,last time I checked though, Mahan has more wins than Bryson. Like them both though, but don't think Hunter just has a good looking swing, he would shoot silly low scores at the weekend in tournaments

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't care what his swing looks like or any swing really for that matter,last time I checked though, Mahan has more wins than Bryson. Like them both though, but don't think Hunter just has a good looking swing, he would shoot silly low scores at the weekend in tournaments
Two more wins and he's 11 years older, I don't think that's a particularly useful comparison.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Two more wins and he's 11 years older, I don't think that's a particularly useful comparison.
For all you know though he could win another 10, Bryson might have an injury and never win again. It's all pointless talk. Hunter regardless of his swing is a great golfer and a pretty accomplished one at that.
I just like golf but I can also appreciate a player who scores and someone who can zero out path and face and have it on a rope. Thats why i like watching rose or stenson hit balls. Tiger is awesome to watch practice as he can literally flight an iron anyway he wants. Spieth isn't really impressive to watch hitting balls but he's awesome to watch playing golf. Everyone is different, people like different things in a golfer. I appreciate all styles.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Matt Wolff did pretty well in the Phoenix Open last week just faded over the last 36 holes a bit.

I like Ryan Moore swing his is straight up and a big loop down.

Many swings over the years been all over the place Eamon Darcys had more loops than a roller coaster ride.

Got to say though I cannot stand watching Bubba not even for his swing just everything about it for me just winds me up, don't know why it just does.

Choi is playing the Pebble Beach event this week so probably get a fair bit of him on the TV this week
I watched Darcy at the European Seniors at Forest of Arden last year. Ugly as sin and he's not getting it out very far these days. I love the weird swings and Trevino was the first one I saw that was different. Add in his demeanour and he became one of my first favourites

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
For all you know though he could win another 10, Bryson might have an injury and never win again. It's all pointless talk. Hunter regardless of his swing is a great golfer and a pretty accomplished one at that.
I just like golf but I can also appreciate a player who scores and someone who can zero out path and face and have it on a rope. Thats why i like watching rose or stenson hit balls. Tiger is awesome to watch practice as he can literally flight an iron anyway he wants. Spieth isn't really impressive to watch hitting balls but he's awesome to watch playing golf. Everyone is different, people like different things in a golfer. I appreciate all styles.

Has Hunter still got the dreaded things with his chipping?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site

To that end, did you not adore watching Glenn Hoddle stroke the ball around the pitch with poise and grace ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
To that end, did you not adore watching Glenn Hoddle stroke the ball around the pitch with poise and grace ?

Surely the ball moving across the pitch would be similar to ball flight in golf.

Not sure many players legs move too differently when passing a ball.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I’ve always thought Spieth was the least talented of the latest generation. Once his ridiculous putting stats faded away, so did his wins.

Like you say though he knows how to golf. Imo put his grit into nay of the others (Rory, DJ, Day, Koepka and the rest) and they’d be the dominant player atm.