Huge increase in golf participation

sunshine

Visit site
I know some clubs like Selsdon close because the owners simply didn't want a course anymore, some councils are closing courses to save money but surely a number are simply not run well and so its natural wastage of a failing business. We've had that scenario before especially after the boom of the late 80's

How many of the clubs closing were good golf courses? Feels like the courses we have lost were generally farm land.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Homer said selsdon has closed (playing tomorrow with leftie and dando as a fair well round) which is a shame as the course layout is awesome. Within the area every… yup every course is stacked with a waiting list. Woodcote, purley downs, croham hurst, Shirley park, addington palace and the addington and finally farleigh, everyone has a waiting list with the likes of woodcote now requesting a joining fee equal to a years membership.

Selsdon had individual issues, but joining fees and waiting lists are coming, memberships will increase as the demand is there. Couple that with points raised about inflation increases along with tax and fuel and I can see a dip coming, the only lifeline is that more people are WFH, this should result in saved commuting costs and better value for money on memberships especially lower cost 5 day options

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
How many of the clubs closing were good golf courses? Feels like the courses we have lost were generally farm land.

Certainly the case round here. Lost four courses in the county on last 15 years. All ex farms opened in late 80s boom and under funded. Unable to compete against the resorts and private clubs.

Funnily enough. I drove past Dewstow today. Looks like a months work and you could reopen it!

Funt1m3

Visit site
That really interesting and encouraging thanks for sharing. I was talking about just the other day with my brother, I pop down our local golf range and queues have really picked up in last 18 months. And it does seem like a healthy balance of young and older chaps down there, so hope the overall uptake is balanced in a similar way

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the 20/30’s age gap have realised a round of golf is more welcomed by their partners than footy with a piss up after etc, especially those with young families. It’s the types of courses they play and the stuffiness of said clubs as to whether we retain them within the sport.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I joined my club during the covid boom and from talking to a few of the older heads it seemed the club was really struggling for members before it, and now they are close to having a waiting list for the first time this century.

Its renewal time in January though so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

I do wonder if we'll see a good level of retention and/or new members as (myself included) more of the casual golfers who picked the sport up more during lockdown are now ready to make the commitment of a membership.

evemccc

Visit site
What are the real pros and cons (for the average golfer) for the Covid boom to retreat back to 2017-2019 levels of interest in golf?

I can think of a few, but interested in other opinions

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What are the real pros and cons (for the average golfer) for the Covid boom to retreat back to 2017-2019 levels of interest in golf?

Out of interest any reason for choosing 2017 for the pre-pandemic period.

AliMc

Visit site
I wonder how clubs will hang on to thier new found members? Hopefully they won't retreat back to the old ways of joining fees etc but i somehow think to many golf clubs only know one way of working.
Maybe it also depends on the quality of the course they are joining, at Dunbar we have a course in excellent condition all year round and plenty folk wanting to join, currently 200 or so I believe with a likely 8 year wait, we have a joining fee which, if a remember correctly, is 150% of the annual subs, it doesn't seem to deter folk, we lose very few members each year, most quality courses in East Lothian will have joining fees and waiting lists, probably 12 to 15 years at somewhere like Gullane (not pronounced 'Gillin' but that's for another thread !)

evemccc

Visit site

So basically, for the average golfer who plays at a members club and who likes to occasionally play other courses as well as an occasional treat to a top-notch course, I can’t think of any pros of the golf boom

1) Green Fees have ballooned at general courses in my area as well as the higher echelon courses, due to demand.
2) Clubs have begun to bring back waiting lists and are bringing back entrance fees, or raising them…so for the average golfer if you want to change clubs you’re disadvantaged
3) lesson prices have not gone down and in many cases gone up
4) there’s a big wait for fittings but especially new clubs to arrive) this is admittedly a supply-chain / Covid issue…but the extra demand has definitely exacerbated it
5) getting tee-times at your own club are more difficult
6) As per the thread on here, equipment prices has gone up and especially so in the secondary market

So for the average hobbyist golfer who doesn’t make a living from the game, I can’t see any real pros for the ‘boom’ but see things that have made his/her hobby more expensive and harder to do

EDIT: obviously a richer / more financially healthy members club is a ‘good’ thing, and can do ‘good’ things like course improvements, hiring extra greenkeeping staff etc etc but there is no guarantee that the extra money will produce benefits that you want to see.
And of course good luck to those who work in the game and who’ve done well out of the boom.

Last edited:

Boomy

Visit site
Next year is going to be very hard financially for lots of people. Fuel costs, general inflation, tax increases etc are going to reduce everybody's disposable income considerably. I can see a lot of people deciding golf membership is one luxury too many.

Personally I'll almost certainly be leaving my club at the next renewal. I like the club and course, but for various reasons I'm not able to get my money's worth out of membership. So I'll probably be nomading, and probably joining the iGolf thing once my 6 month period as a leper is over.

I agree that next year is going to be financially harder for people, and spending will need reviewed… BUT the cost of golf membership is relatively low compared to other activities and is very good value for money if utilised. It’s good exercise and socially good for the soul, I’d estimate that people will be keeping there memberships going, perhaps paying monthly subs and looking to save money elsewhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Maybe it also depends on the quality of the course they are joining, at Dunbar we have a course in excellent condition all year round and plenty folk wanting to join, currently 200 or so I believe with a likely 8 year wait, we have a joining fee which, if a remember correctly, is 150% of the annual subs, it doesn't seem to deter folk, we lose very few members each year, most quality courses in East Lothian will have joining fees and waiting lists, probably 12 to 15 years at somewhere like Gullane (not pronounced 'Gillin' but that's for another thread !)

In some respect my course has an advantage. We are surrounded by the top end courses. Other than that we have a former council owned course (booked times and always slow - and gets wet in winter), the likes of Mill Ride and Windlesham, both of which have drainage issues in winter and
So basically, for the average golfer who plays at a members club and who likes to occasionally play other courses as well as an occasional treat to a top-notch course, I can’t think of any pros of the golf boom

1) Green Fees have ballooned at general courses in my area as well as the higher echelon courses, due to demand.
2) Clubs have begun to bring back waiting lists and are bringing back entrance fees, or raising them…so for the average golfer if you want to change clubs you’re disadvantaged
3) lesson prices have not gone down and in many cases gone up
4) there’s a big wait for fittings but especially new clubs to arrive) this is admittedly a supply-chain / Covid issue…but the extra demand has definitely exacerbated it
5) getting tee-times at your own club are more difficult
6) As per the thread on here, equipment prices has gone up and especially so in the secondary market

So for the average hobbyist golfer who doesn’t make a living from the game, I can’t see any real pros for the ‘boom’ but see things that have made his/her hobby more expensive and harder to do

EDIT: obviously a richer / more financially healthy members club is a ‘good’ thing, and can do ‘good’ things like course improvements, hiring extra greenkeeping staff etc etc but there is no guarantee that the extra money will produce benefits that you want to see.
And of course good luck to those who work in the game and who’ve done well out of the boom.

What you may find is having now seen a lot of clubs introducing joining fees, having had to pay this year for some, there is less chance of them jumping ship and chasing the next cheap membership deal as places won't be available and the chances of paying another joining fee don't seem to make it viable. I totally agree about your point 5. We historically never had tee times and even with roll up groups at weekends it worked perfectly. We are no scrabbling around to try and get a game at a time to suit. As I pay full whack as a 7 day member because I can't play midweek I find it unacceptable. We're waiting to hear how the club plan to deal with the issue as it is contentious and causing splits within the club. Possible I'll not renew

sunshine

Visit site
the cost of golf membership is relatively low compared to other activities and is very good value for money if utilised. It’s good exercise and socially good for the soul,

As a golfer, I will find the money to play... and I whole heartedly agree it is good for the soul. But I wouldn't say the cost of membership is low or good value for money (in south east England at least, unless you are retired). I would guess the average cost is £1,800 now, most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month.

As for golf being good exercise, well again I suppose it is if you are 60+, but I wouldn't really class golf as exercise. It's just a walk.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
As a golfer, I will find the money to play... and I whole heartedly agree it is good for the soul. But I wouldn't say the cost of membership is low or good value for money (in south east England at least, unless you are retired). I would guess the average cost is £1,800 now, most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month.

As for golf being good exercise, well again I suppose it is if you are 60+, but I wouldn't really class golf as exercise. It's just a walk.

I was chatting to a group of younger lads - there were ten of them all in their 30's - about why they've joined our Club. Prior to lockdown most went to football every week. They started playing golf more regularly when the couses opened and at about £1.3K (£25pw) in the Midlands it's cheaper than football when away games & all day drinking is included. They've really livened up our Club on a Saturday and seem keen to get more involved. As for the exercise, well walking 6 miles whilst carrying a full bag isn't going to harm you

Boomy

Visit site

Walking is exercise, the best form of exercise - low impact, easily accessible, in the fresh air, and add some hills and it works the biggest muscle group too… so golf is exercise! Added bonus if you carry but still a good walk if you don’t. As a qualified triathlon England coach I fully understand the different levels of exercise, HR training etc and walking is great exercise.

I agree that perhaps there could be a North and South divide when it comes to membership subs, (I pay £550 for the year and up to point have played the course 55 times, £10 a round, not bad) but that’ll likely also be relative to the green fees down South - so, if you play plenty of golf your membership will offer good value, certainly better than paying as you play (if you play plenty of times)

I’m interested to understand where you plucked the “most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month” from?

D

Deleted member 25172

Walking is exercise, the best form of exercise - low impact, easily accessible, in the fresh air, and add some hills and it works the biggest muscle group too… so golf is exercise! Added bonus if you carry but still a good walk if you don’t. As a qualified triathlon England coach I fully understand the different levels of exercise, HR training etc and walking is great exercise.

I agree that perhaps there could be a North and South divide when it comes to membership subs, (I pay £550 for the year and up to point have played the course 55 times, £10 a round, not bad) but that’ll likely also be relative to the green fees down South - so, if you play plenty of golf your membership will offer good value, certainly better than paying as you play (if you play plenty of times)

I’m interested to understand where you plucked the “most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month” from?

Value for money means just about nothing for those who cannot pay the upfront cost, like a golf membership, for example.

If we stay within sports as the hobby, I’ve a hard time seeing what in the top 15 most popular hobbies would cost more than golf. If statistas numbers are anything to go by that is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/975115/sport-participation-england/

Boomy

Visit site
Value for money means just about nothing for those who cannot pay the upfront cost, like a golf membership, for example.

If we stay within sports as the hobby, I’ve a hard time seeing what in the top 15 most popular hobbies would cost more than golf. If statistas numbers are anything to go by that is.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/975115/sport-participation-england/
The discussion was around the impact of inflation etc on people keeping there golf membership or letting it go because it’s a “luxury” People who are already a member and paying subs, and are likely playing regular golf, so yes it can and does offer good value to them (perhaps not to new members at some clubs who have to pay a joining fee, the subs and ‘might’ not play as much) A lot of clubs also offer monthly payments which can spread the cost.

Gym membership at Bannatynes would cost more per month for subs than my monthly golf membership would be (£58 versus £55) The thing is you’re not comparing apples with apples, as I said above walking is a superb form of exercise - you can walk the majority of places for free, and are already likely to have suitable footwear for a basic walk - that’s great, free, and good exercise but in no way comparable to golf. The point was around a golfer maintaining their membership, playing golf which is good for the body and soul and thus getting value out of their subs!

Like a lot of sports/hobbies they can be done on differing budgets - running trainers can cost £20 or £200 a pair, a running vest can cost £3 or £160, a racing cycle can cost £200 or £20,000 entering a local triathlon £30, entering an Ironman triathlon £500. The increased cost in most sports/hobbies comes from people’s desire to have the best of equipment and use the best facilities.