Huge increase in golf participation

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
We are full with a waiting list. However there is a division within the club having introduced and kept booked tee times (which actually goes against what is both the constitution and the captains book which states roll up unless its a comp) and I have a feeling we will see a larger than normal number not renew (especially going on what I see on social media). I am also interested to see how many of the new members who came in on deals will stick around when they have to pay the normal annual fee or disappear looking for another golf club with an offer
What's their objections Homer?

We didn't even have to book for medals pre-covid (Tee was reserved for an hour at certain times but that was all), yet despite that there is only one member that objects to having to book, to such an extent his son has had to create his account and book him on whenever he wants a game, but everyone else thinks it's a massive improvement and we will never revert to just being able to roll up to the first tee

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As a golfer, I will find the money to play... and I whole heartedly agree it is good for the soul. But I wouldn't say the cost of membership is low or good value for money (in south east England at least, unless you are retired). I would guess the average cost is £1,800 now, most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month.

As for golf being good exercise, well again I suppose it is if you are 60+, but I wouldn't really class golf as exercise. It's just a walk.
In north east Scotland memberships are generally in the £500-£600pa category, with a small handful (5 I can think of) costing four figures, and some as low as £200.

So most clubs golf is cheaper than a gym, tennis is very thin on the ground but think memberships there are really expensive.

A bike now for enthusiasts is far more expensive than a set of golf clubs, full set of top line clubs will set you back around £2500, bikes are now five figures for the top chats.

Fitba season tickets, similarly priced to golf, but that's only to watch your home games, and 20 or so times a season.

You're no doubt right about bottom of England, but how much are tennis clubs down there?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You're no doubt right about bottom of England, but how much are tennis clubs down there?
One near me is £448 p.a. tennis membership plus court fee of about £7 per hour (for the court, not each). It's one of the top clubs in the area where Emma Raducanu was coached early years. If you are into squash, Georgina Kennedy (ranked 25th in world) was also coached there until she went to college in USA.

sunshine

Visit site
I’m interested to understand where you plucked the “most other hobbies cost less than £150 a month” from

That was just £1800 /12.

If you’re up north you get much better value. Even a season ticket to a premier league team, even an expensive one like Chelsea, is much lower than golf subs. There really is a north south divide on this!

D

Deleted member 25172

That was just £1800 /12.

If you’re up north you get much better value. Even a season ticket to a premier league team, even an expensive one like Chelsea, is much lower than golf subs. There really is a north south divide on this!

Obviously, you choose yourself how yiu deal with your golf membership, but the end bill each year for golf, for me at least, goes WAY beyond the membership cost.

Comp fees
Drinks
Playing other courses
New gloves
Balls
Lessons (???)
Locker rental
Rental for trolley shed

I’m a bit afraid even to start look into what it costs each year. At least I’ve no plans of buying new clubs any time soon.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My club is no different to most others and is full for the first time in 20 years. What I'm seeing now is that there's hardly anyone but the vets playing in the week and even Sunday last week the course was quiet,and, unusually we didn't have a comp. I reckon that we got loads of furloughed members, being paid but couldn't play their football, cricket etc. etc but could play golf almost daily. They are used to paying monthly for gym membership etc so the £100 per month wasn't an issue.

So now they aren't playing mid week and I reckon at renewal a fair number will disappear. Also, I'm seeing a lot of golf gear for sale adverts on Facebook etc wheras it was people looking to buy golf stuff back at the start of this.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Obviously, you choose yourself how yiu deal with your golf membership, but the end bill each year for golf, for me at least, goes WAY beyond the membership cost.

Comp fees
Drinks
Playing other courses
New gloves
Balls
Lessons (???)
Locker rental
Rental for trolley shed

I’m a bit afraid even to start look into what it costs each year. At least I’ve no plans of buying new clubs any time soon.

I’m pretty new to golf - essentially a ‘Covid-golfer’, and have spent the clear majority of my disposable income on golf during Covid…am aware that I’ll never play as much golf as I have done, again (until retirement / lottery win?) — and I’m hugely sad about that as I have loved it. Most of my clubs are eBay purchases and those I’ve had fit I’m really happy with - but overall I’m happy with my set-up.

I have spent on lessons, and ‘treat courses’, as well as membership at a cheap course for my area but a course I like.

I don’t regret the money I’ve spent as it’s really helped me through Covid esp as I live alone - I also see it as an investment (I’ve now got the clubs and the basis of a game..and know what to work on in future). I really have fallen in love with playing the game.
I know I’ll always play it, but there are other hobbies and financial / time imperatives in life I have to focus on soon..?

In short…I’ve spent a huge amount of disposable income since Covid. But don’t regret it at all ?

D

Deleted member 25172

I’m pretty new to golf - essentially a ‘Covid-golfer’, and have spent the clear majority of my disposable income on golf during Covid…am aware that I’ll never play as much golf as I have done, again (until retirement / lottery win?) — and I’m hugely sad about that as I have loved it. Most of my clubs are eBay purchases and those I’ve had fit I’m really happy with - but overall I’m happy with my set-up.

I have spent on lessons, and ‘treat courses’, as well as membership at a cheap course for my area but a course I like.

I don’t regret the money I’ve spent as it’s really helped me through Covid esp as I live alone - I also see it as an investment (I’ve now got the clubs and the basis of a game..and know what to work on in future). I really have fallen in love with playing the game.
I know I’ll always play it, but there are other hobbies and financial / time imperatives in life I have to focus on soon..?

In short…I’ve spent a huge amount of disposable income since Covid. But don’t regret it at all ?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t regret a single penny either that I’ve put into it, but it is quite daunting when you tally it all up.

Said I didn’t dare to look into how much it have cost me this year, but that was like saying “don’t leave it short” standing over a putt. You’ll definitely gonna leave it short, or as in this case, I had to check. Looking at the spread sheet in front of me, it’s around £5k this year, give or take.

We’re about to buy a house soon (hopefully), so like your self, I’m going to have to make other prioritisations the next coming year whether I like it or not.

Red devil

Visit site
Like a few others I'm late to this wonderful game through various reasons mainly work related. I'd love to join a club mainly for social reasons and a reason to get out of the house in future retirement. Unfortunately I maybe resigned to being a nomad golfer as where I live PR8/ PR9 postcode area all clubs seem to have waiting lists and joining fees, one I know has 3x annual subs for joining fee £4.5k other there's a £2-£2.5 k joining fee. I'm extremely lucky I have a decent job and could scrape this together but also I don't know a member at any of these clubs to propose and second me. So pay and play is my destiny it seems. Shame really.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Like a few others I'm late to this wonderful game through various reasons mainly work related. I'd love to join a club mainly for social reasons and a reason to get out of the house in future retirement. Unfortunately I maybe resigned to being a nomad golfer as where I live PR8/ PR9 postcode area all clubs seem to have waiting lists and joining fees, one I know has 3x annual subs for joining fee £4.5k other there's a £2-£2.5 k joining fee. I'm extremely lucky I have a decent job and could scrape this together but also I don't know a member at any of these clubs to propose and second me. So pay and play is my destiny it seems. Shame really.

There's usually a system in place for golfers who don't know any members so if you see a club you like the look of I'd contact the secretary/club manager and ask.