Huge increase in golf participation

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting report out this week with stats to back up the surge in the popularity of golf we have witnessed in the last couple of years. "The number of total golfers globally has increased from 61 million to 66.6 million in a five-year growth period, surpassing the previous high mark of 61.6 million set in 2012."

No wonder green fees at home have rocketed: "In Britain, the number of adults playing a nine or 18-hole course began to gradually increase before the onset of Covid-19, rising from 2.5 million in 2017 to 2.8 million in 2018, then to 3 million in 2019, before surging to 5.2 million in 2020 – the highest figure recorded this century."

The R&A - Record Numbers Now Playing Golf Worldwide (randa.org)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Surprising to see that numbers were already increasing pre-covid.

How many of the covid players will keep it up long term is the big question

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprising to see that numbers were already increasing pre-covid.

How many of the covid players will keep it up long term is the big question

This is going to be the telling factor. Over the last 2 years, covid meant that golf was one fo the few allowed activities in lockdown one and pretty much the only way to play golf in lockdown 2 was with a memebership. It iwll be interesitng to see how much of that remains after the next round of membership payments now that green fees are more readily available. They are still high though and much will also depend on whether clubs return to selling off green fees cheap and undo all of the gains made.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how participation goes over the next 2 years.

I'm a member at 1 club and on the waiting list at another. After renewals this year I have climbed to 77th on the list.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Next year is going to be very hard financially for lots of people. Fuel costs, general inflation, tax increases etc are going to reduce everybody's disposable income considerably. I can see a lot of people deciding golf membership is one luxury too many.

Personally I'll almost certainly be leaving my club at the next renewal. I like the club and course, but for various reasons I'm not able to get my money's worth out of membership. So I'll probably be nomading, and probably joining the iGolf thing once my 6 month period as a leper is over.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a lot of folk have been, and are, thinking about taking it up. Our academies are busy with a steady stream joining as others leave - either because they don‘t take to our game, or they are offered membership. An excellent income stream as well as feeder into full membership or other category.

Brads

Visit site
I had just arranged two references for Kilspindie a few days before they shut the waiting list. Was gutted.
Haddington went from about 280 members to 750 in less than two years

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are full with a waiting list. However there is a division within the club having introduced and kept booked tee times (which actually goes against what is both the constitution and the captains book which states roll up unless its a comp) and I have a feeling we will see a larger than normal number not renew (especially going on what I see on social media). I am also interested to see how many of the new members who came in on deals will stick around when they have to pay the normal annual fee or disappear looking for another golf club with an offer

D

Deleted member 15344

We had a big influx before Covid to the point we were very close to full with more applications to sort out

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Looks like a double whammy with participation increasing and the number of clubs decreasing. Feels like the slack in available membership has now gone and we are back to the bad old days of waiting lists and joining fees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looks like a double whammy with participation increasing and the number of clubs decreasing. Feels like the slack in available membership has now gone and we are back to the bad old days of waiting lists and joining fees.

I know some clubs like Selsdon close because the owners simply didn't want a course anymore, some councils are closing courses to save money but surely a number are simply not run well and so its natural wastage of a failing business. We've had that scenario before especially after the boom of the late 80's