How's this for service!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before some of you say, "Not another Gokart thread".Please hear me out. :)

I've just sent my 2nd replacement 36 hole battery back to Gokart. After weeks and weeks of power running low on the 11th - 12th holes - intermittent stopping and starting and only going at a slow speed. It's not the charger, as red light shows when plugged in for recharge, and then goes to green when charged and stays on for trickle charging.

I discussed all this on the phone with Gokart and they reckon that because I don't play 36 holes every week this could be the problem. My Daughter bought it last year as a Birthday present, and as I play in Societies thought I'd need the 36 hole battery. When in fact as I play just 18 every week and the occasional 27 in summer societies, all I need is an 18 hole battery.

Now this is not really Gokarts fault, but they are still sending me a replacement "18" hole battery tomorrow free of charge, plus, because of the original price difference between 18 - 36, they are also sending a complimentary umbrella holder!

I don't think you can beat that for fairness, and what a great Company to do business with.

Golfmmad.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I discussed all this on the phone with Gokart and they reckon that because I don't play 36 holes every week this could be the problem.

Sounds like a load of garbage to me. More like dodgy batteries :( How many people play 36 holes every week?

I bought a 36+ hole battery last year and have used it on average for maybe 2 or 3 or 4 18 holes a week with only a couple of 36'ers. It's fine.

If I have understood previous discussions on the forum correctly, NiCad batteries may have a "memory". Lead acid, gel, lithium, etc don't. So, unless your battery is a NiCad, or one of the others that has been over discharged at some time, then there is absolutely no reason why it should be failing after 12 holes.

Don't be fobbed off with a brolly holder. To my mind, the fact they they are offering you something else indicated that they have a problem that they are unwilling/unable to solve. I'm assuming here that their batteries are specifically designed for their trolleys and outside suppliers can't provide anything that will fit.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not an expert on batteries and can only take their advice.
There hasn't been anybody posting on here with battery problems, as far as I know.

If the Company did have such battery problems I don't see why they wouldn't want to sort them. You're such a cynic Roger :D
I don't think any other make of battery would fit a Gokart.

Golfmmad.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've had a GoKart for 2 years, just got the 18 hole battery. I only play (on average) once every two weeks, mostly 18 holes but there are the occasions that I have played 27 or 36. The battery has never struggled once. I generally leave the battery in the boot of the car after I've finished my game and will only take it out to charge it a day or two before I need it again and have never had a problem at all.
I think you'll be fine with the 18 holer Chris.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also have a Go Kart with a 36 hole battery but only ever use it for 18 holes in the same day. Sometimes if im playing Saturday and Sunday then I will use for both without recharging in between. Never had a problem with the battery itself, but did with my charger. Had the same problem as yourself, battery used to start dying during the later holes, the problem was my charger wasnt charging the battery properly. When I plugged it in the red light would come on, then when the battery was allegedly charged it would turn green and stay like that. All appeared to be working fine, until one day I decided to time how long it took for the battery to go green and it was only about 30-60 minutes which was nowhere near long enough for it to fully charge.

Anyway tried a mates charger and the battery was fully charged again, so told Go Kart and they sent me a new charger straight away. Been working great since

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my 18 hole battery running down after 13 or so holes.

They replaced it free of charge for me, and all's fine now.

Hardly fobbing him off, Leftie... they've given him a freebie and told him he didn't need the 36 holes for what he's playing. Sound advice and good of them I would say. Can't see Powakaddy even replacing it let alone replacing it and throwing in a freebie! Plus they have solved it for Golfmmad, so all's well, isn't it?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Customer service is, as the GK fans rightly point out, very good.

Wouldn't you prefer it if their stuff actually worked for a bit longer so you didn't need this quality after service? ;)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't say they were fobbing him off, mate. I said "Sounds like a load of garbage to me". :D :D

The customer wanted, and paid extra for, a battery that would comfortably last for 36 holes if and when required.

The fact that it isn't used for 2 rounds at a time has no bearing on the complaint that it gives up the ghost after 12 or 13 holes. In fact, by not using the full potential of the battery should make it last longer. If it's not a NiCad, then there is no "memory" issue.

Either the battery is faulty and should be replaced again (Note - this is the second replacement already) or the charger is faulty - probably the real cause.

I still quite can't understand how electric trolleys, their batteries and chargers (any make, not specifically having a go at GK) that, let's face it are not cutting edge technology in engineering and electronic terms, can have such poor reliability records.
:D

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Didn't say they were fobbing him off, mate. I said "Sounds like a load of garbage to me". :D :D
Don't be fobbed off with a brolly holder.
Yeah - I missed what you meant by being fobbed off, Leftie... ;) ;) ;)

I do agree that a 36 hole battery should do 36 holes without being used all the time. And I agree that battery technology isn't the most advanced thing in the world.
I just wonder if there is something in the argument only doing 36 holes every now and again on a battery? I should really do some research into it.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't be fobbed off with a brolly holder.
Yeah - I missed what you meant by being fobbed off, Leftie... ;) ;) ;)

I do agree that a 36 hole battery should do 36 holes without being used all the time. And I agree that battery technology isn't the most advanced thing in the world.
I just wonder if there is something in the argument only doing 36 holes every now and again on a battery? I should really do some research into it.

Don't even get me started on the fobbing off aspect by offering a brolly holder instead of sorting the problem :D

I was making the point as well that nothing about golf trolleys is exactly cutting edge technology so why are there are so many complaints about problems with them, their batteries, and chargers.

Do your research by all means, but I think you will eventually come to the conclusion that a 36 hole battery should be good for at least 36 holes.

The only reasons they would fail are :-

A) They are faulty
B) They have been over discharged
C) They are very old
D) They are NiCad and the "memory" effect applies
E) The charger is faulty

The fact that it has not been used for 36 holes is a complete nonsense. In fact, as I understand it, a 36 hole battery that is often used for 36 holes will have a shorter life than a similar battery that has been used for only 18 hole rounds.

Heck! What do I know about batteries anyway?

I've got 6 in my garage. 2 failed under warranty and were replaced foc and are now reaching the end of their useful lives. One was over-discharged as it hadn't recharged after a round because of a faulty cable and now will only do about 14 holes, and the last is a 36 hole battery that I got just for that reason (I've had several 36'ers this year with Forum members).