How to putt better

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some say putting is all about feel and, like the full swing, it is an individual thing that shouldn't be messed around with.
That may be, but there are ways and means of making putting easier.

How hard can it really be?
Point it in the right direction, swing back and through. Not too hard and not too soft.
It can't be that difficult.

Below is a clip of something I see regularly on my travels.
Note the lower body turn and the arms moving away from the body.

[video=youtube_share;rkaOgxTYeRg]http://youtu.be/rkaOgxTYeRg[/video]

When the lower body turns, the golfer has to swing the arms away from the body or open the putter face to keep the ball on line. Not ideal.

If you feel you have this problem, try this...

First thing you need to do is stop the lower half from turning.
Stand with your back to a wall or as in the clip below, a chair. Take up your address position so both "cheeks" are just touching the chair.
When you make your stoke, try and keep a constant pressure on both cheeks against the chair. If your body tries to turn, you will feel the pressure change straight away.
Then let the arms swing down the line naturally.

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Bob very helpful

Another reason is looking up to watch the ball which tends to turn the shoulders and the ball goes left

This fault was actually picked up when i was at AG buying a new putter, the shop assistant noticed i was doing this and my putting improved after i stopped

Your tips are excellent Bob

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I was moving my lower body yesterday and started spraying my putts everywhere, but was putting great on wednesday. I think when my back starts playing up or Im tired I will start moving my legs.

I really struggle for consistency on my short game, this tip will give me something to practise when Im at home so thanks bob!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Guilty as charged m'lud.

I'm a early looker upper! :whistle:

Great tip Bob, thanks for the time and trouble of uploading it. Very professional looking. Not surprising considering you are a professional!:mmm:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Many thanks for the clips, Bob. As a supplementary question to this topic, would widening the stance help to reduce any lower body movement? For me it feels more solid with feet further apart, albeit slightly awkward and not as comfortable. Are there downsides to widening the stance as well?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
would widening the stance help to reduce any lower body movement?

I dont think so. It may even have the opposite effect.
I like to vary the width of my stance so a short putt is a narrow stance, getting wider as the length of putt increases. Don't go daft though as you'll do the splits.

there was no chair on the green or that would never have happened

You're quite right. There was however an large elephant buried under the green just where the hole was cut. (stoopid greenkeeper) :( :mmm:

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dont think so. It may even have the opposite effect.
I like to vary the width of my stance so a short putt is a narrow stance, getting wider as the length of putt increases. Don't go daft though as you'll do the splits.
:

That's interesting to hear your view on width of stance vs stability. Don't think I've ever consciously changed width in that way. I think a weekend on the practice green is in order to see what feels good and what performs. No danger of doing the splits... can't find an eyes watering smilie, but you can imagine. ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
: That's interesting to hear your view on width of stance vs stability

If you have a wider stance, that will make you feel more stable. It would also enable you to sway and turn without falling over.
Imagine trying to move your lower body with your feet close together. You would easily lose your balance.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you have a wider stance, that will make you feel more stable. It would also enable you to sway and turn without falling over.
Imagine trying to move your lower body with your feet close together. You would easily lose your balance.

Ah, I think I follow... So having a stance that is less stable actually forces you to make a steadier stroke? Essentially if you make a duff stroke you'll be more aware of it... nowhere to hide!