How passive or involved should the arms be?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
its just a real battle from the tee and something I need to address before next summer.

lately ive just been clipping the thing down the middle to keep the spin down and keep it on the short stuff.

long wide courses are fine. I can just blast it and work it around. tight courses can be painful at times when im off song.

Have you considered adjusting your game to the particular course? I find that wortks better than simply applying my game to it - though my game is now a bit solely 'short but straight!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Different swings utilise slightly different sequencing. A 2-plane swing is more arms than shoulders, a 1-plane swing is more shoulders than arms. The body turn is just to get the shoulders into the correct orientation. What you shouldn't do is feel your hands pulling the club, the entire arm brings the grip of the club down past the nose as one unit.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Different swings utilise slightly different sequencing. A 2-plane swing is more arms than shoulders, a 1-plane swing is more shoulders than arms. The body turn is just to get the shoulders into the correct orientation. What you shouldn't do is feel your hands pulling the club, the entire arm brings the grip of the club down past the nose as one unit.

Would that mean a 2 plane swing relies a little more on timing than a one plane swing?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As much as I like and respect you guys this is all gobbledygook! :whistle:

Try swinging without arms, or with one arm.........

Don't get me wrong I like the technical aspects as well, as I like to know how things work, but there's a fine line between encapsulating the natural ability you have to swing and breaking it down to the point you lose focus on the main goal, to move the wee ball where you want it...consistently.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It is,... but we know what we're discussing, and we like discussing it :thup:

Incidentally,.. Do we really have a natural ability to swing a golf club? How so?

.....neanderthal man..... eat......survive......so yes we have a natural ability to swing a club! (Back of the nett:whoo:)

I also know what you're discussing but c'mon.........analysis paralysis springs to mind

Anyway......just 'getting involved' as its a forum but I'll leave you guys now as I'm playing through:ears:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not going to offer swing advice as you didn't ask for it but i would say that with your driver you should just pick one shape and stick to it, either the cut (which I now prefer) or the draw.

The cut is a face that is open to the path and the draw is a face that is closed to the path, it's VERY hard to master both. Even Tiger struggles and now plays the fade far more often, he got sick of blocking them into the right rough... now he prefers to slice it in there!! :whoo:

it was yourself that brought the ball flight laws to my attention. it has improved my game on no end. thanks for that.

one Friday this summer, I worked out how to hit a consistent fade. I took it to birchys tight course on the sunday and missed only 2 fairways all day and scored my best card of the season. I may well go back to hitting this.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you considered adjusting your game to the particular course? I find that wortks better than simply applying my game to it - though my game is now a bit solely 'short but straight!

well that's kind of the idea atm. if its wide and open, ill just smash fades/draws and get it round. at home on our tight course ive taken to just coseying it down the middle losing 15-20 yards.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Let me re-phrase the original question.

What bring the club face to impact sqaure?

Body rotation? Armswing? Wrists? All of the above?

[video=youtube;-m5SJQajBsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m5SJQajBsc[/video]

bla bla bla and due to this he has to work really hard with his hands to

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Anyway......just 'getting involved' as its a forum but I'll leave you guys now as I'm playing through:ears:

LOL... we're not letting you through!! :ears:

So tell me about this neanderthal golfer.... Which 'natural' action was he up to when he hit a stone 300yds with a stick? :D

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
.... In the downswing?

Simple question. Would love to hear your views.

:D

I may get some splinters in delicate places here, but...

As active as they need to be, but no more!

Indeed, 2-planers need to work a bit in the early stages (after the hip has slid-pivoted) to get back on-plane. 1-planers have an easier time. This is why more teaching is now 1-plane, though 2-plane is, supposedly, easier/more natural to learn.

I believe there's a lot of feel/real involved in the actual mechanics and descriptions, but if a swing looks too 'armsy', it probably is. Not quite the same when there doesn't seem to be enough - Lee Westwood?

@Socket Tommy Gainey is an example of the skipping stone swing!

@GiD Those hands are where LD is not the perfect model! The South African gang are much better models, but there are some recognisable 'styles' in the way hands work through impact - so the actual method may not be all-important.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
@GiD Those hands are where LD is not the perfect model! The South African gang are much better models, but there are some recognisable 'styles' in the way hands work through impact - so the actual method may not be all-important.

I only posted that as I remembered what kostis says luke has to do with his hands to square the clubface. if this is true or not, I don't know. quite a bit of this goes over my head :eek:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I only posted that as I remembered what kostis says luke has to do with his hands to square the clubface. if this is true or not, I don't know. quite a bit of this goes over my head :eek:

What I find with the golf swing, especially Luke Donalds, and how Kostis describes it, is cause and effect.

One part does something, which causes another part to compensate or react differently. Furyk is another example.

Same with most swings I suppose.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Wayne De Francesco - another professional swing analyst/coach - says the same (eventually - as usual)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What I find with the golf swing, especially Luke Donalds, and how Kostis describes it, is cause and effect.

One part does something, which causes another part to compensate or react differently. Furyk is another example.

Same with most swings I suppose.

I think this has been mentioned already but there are some different ways to square the clubface depending on your type of swing.

If your swing is more rotary then the arms and wrists tend to have less influence, the clubface is kept square to the swingpath and the body rotation squares it to the ball. If it's more two plane or upright then the arms and hands come more into play and timing is more of an issue.