How much does fitness play a part in golf?

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

me again with a question to prevoke conversation and also for my own knowledge :)

I was wondering what your thoughts were on fitness levels in the game of golf?

I know with the pro's you see manyof them at a good if not great fitness level but there are the few that dont conform to this - the old John Daly springs to mind.

however for the weekend golfers how much do you feel this plays a part in our game and if you feel it is essential what excersises are best for golfers...clearly you dont want to be stacking on muscle like Ronnie Coleman so what is the optimal fitness level to be at for a good golfer or do you feel flexibility is a bigger factor?

thanks in advance.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'd say it's not so much fitness perse but flexibility, stretching and suptleness (sp) that are key, stamina and muscle mass is also important but less so over the first 3 in my opinion.

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
This is what I was thinking. I guess the stamina part could be critical if walking the course as you wouldnt want to be shatered after 10 holes however agree that the flexibility is a big one especially when winding up the driver :)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Depends whether you view it as a sport or a pastime. To be good you GENERALLY need to be fit and healthy....unless you're just gifted. Agree that over the top muscle mass isn't really important.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think you need to have a modicum of flexibility especially as you get older. I wouldn't be interested in rushing into any fitness programme as golf is a pastime and not a living and I'd rather work on my game and not my physique

A

Alex1975

I think a reasonable level of fitness is essential if you want to be competitive to any degree, even if that is trying to beat your mates on a weekend knock. Without a reasonable level of fitness you will start to flag physically and more importantly mentally, you will make bad decisions, quit on shots and maybe even quit on your chance to win in the stretch. I'm my opinion the fitter you are the more capacity you will have to take in information, process it and commit to your shots.

Flexibility I would put above strength as the swing is largely about resistance but you do see some guys on tour with LARGE arms... Those guys have to maximise everything though or they will get out-tigered again.

I don't agree with Homer on the "it's not my job" thing, you would not play Sunday league football or even school sports without being fit. That said I do think you can stay fit by playing and practicing a fair amount.

At the very least you have to be able to play 18 holes and not feel it when you get home.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with most of what Alex has said but disagree the order of things -

1. core strength (that's the strength of your core muscles not basic strength) - without this you can't provide the stable platform and balance necessary for consistency.
2. you then have all round muscle strength; legs/arms/wrists and even hands.
3. maintaining suppleness will enable you to use the above.
4. maintaining aerobic efficiency will enable you to continue to use them through the full competitive period - any tiredness will impact on concentration, and therefore performance.

Whether it's a limiting factor for you will depend on a lot of things; however it's definitely a factor at the top end so the issue probably becomes whether you feel it's an issue for you, and whether you can, or want, to do anything about it.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe all round fitness and good health can only aid your golf.
As already mentioned suppleness flexibility and stamina being the main areas, although core strength cannot be forgotten.

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Does this become a question of personal choice rather than a right or wrong? there have certainly been some good "large" or what would be considered unfit golfers but then the majority of the field tend to be in good shape.

I guess the main question becomes "define fit" as this will be different for everyone and also there are a number of older golfers that still do very well, some would say their fitness levels are no where near what the younger players have but they still play well.

I know the likes of Woods and McIlroy train a lot but again, what is the definition of this "fit to play golf"

My personal thought is that I want to be able to get round a course comfortably even if there are some hills involved but also be able to go to the club house and have a beer and a fag and not think that will destroy my game.

I love a good bit of thought proviking.... :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Calcavecchia
Petterson
Sjöholm
Jimenez
Stadler

Do you see a pattern here :smirk:

no

a couple of senior American tour players that have put on weight since their most successful period, a couple of fit young Swedes and probably one of the most supple golfers on the tour - no obvious pattern (athough they are all 'average height')

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
no

a couple of senior American tour players that have put on weight since their most successful period, a couple of fit young Swedes and probably one of the most supple golfers on the tour - no obvious pattern (athough they are all 'average height')

All short hitters?

In the context of the thread title :rolleyes:

All knock it round, more often than not, under-par so, when considering the average handicap golfer, I would argue that there is not a great deal of fitness required to play golf to a good level.

jcooper5083

Club Champion
Visit site
Fair comment there Gareth.

I know in terms of muscle mass this would be well down my list as when I used to weight lift my movement was restricted by the muscles being larger and tighter, flexibility would be higher on my list along with stamina to get round comfortably and enjoy it without being knackered.

I was watching a video of the longest drive tournament and they broke down one of the guys swing, he was over twice as light as some of them and slightly shorter but when breaking his swing down he was able to compete with the big guys due to his rotation and the fact that he could really twist it up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess you could be mega fit but a lousy golfer but you could be relatively unfit and a decent golfer... I've gone for the unfit bit.

What level of fitness do you need to be able to chip and putt?
I know plenty of guys well into their 50's & 60's that play to single figures. Couldn't imagine them on the 5-A-side pitch.