How much does backswing affect the shot?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I started playing again, I didn't have a full backswing and my drives went pretty straight, now I have got back into the swing of golf, I have been trying to get more distance and have been takinga fuller back swing, however I developed a tendancy to hit slice a little.
After a couple of sliced drives today, I conciously shorted my backswing and strarted to hit straighter off the tee.

so does the backswing affect the shot or is it all in my mind?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it depends what is happening in the 'bit' between your short backswing swing, and your concept of a full backswing - both on the way up, and the way down!

Brian321

Hacker
Visit site
When I started playing again, I didn't have a full backswing and my drives went pretty straight, now I have got back into the swing of golf, I have been trying to get more distance and have been takinga fuller back swing, however I developed a tendancy to hit slice a little.
After a couple of sliced drives today, I conciously shorted my backswing and strarted to hit straighter off the tee.

A longer backswing allows for a longer swing, faster clubhead, faster ball speed, further distance...

However for amateurs like us, when trying to lengthen the swing more than they are used to means that we are less able to keep the club face on plane. If I overswing, I end up possibly throwing the club at top of backswing, creating and out to in swingpath, this leading to a pull/slice - sound familiar.

A fix for this is to ensure that your takeaway is on inside and only try to do a 75-80% backswing instead of a full swing - you may find a more consistent/sweetspot hit and better distance that way

my twopence worth anyway.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

The book i have been learning from states that the only purpose of the backswing is to put the club in the right position to return the club square to the target. So yes it matters. Muchly.

Ball striking has improved massively since i deliberately switched to a 3/4 backswing.

Hasn't been reflected on my scorecards yet but that's another story!!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its not true a longer backswing= faster swing. Most of the speed in the swing, is the hand release. You see some players with a nice smooth threequarter swing, but fast hands and the ball goes miles. On the other hand you will have seen players who's swings are a blur. But with little or no hands. The ball goes no where near as far.

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
I get a slice when I swing too fast. I just don't give myself the time to get back to the optimum position at the
Point where contact is made with the ball. Am working on this. I have found the tour tempo ethos along with intent focus on staying with the ball for longer has helped. Check out your coil rotation too - where is your belt buckle facing at the top of your backswing?

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You may be doing what my pro has pointed out to me...not keeping in plane with the backswing and starting the downswing 'over the top' i.e. too vertical, leading to an out to in strike and fade/slice.

That was just one of my problems:whistle:.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To my mind, the backswing puts the club in the best position to return it to the intended position at the point of impact. So in that respect it does matter.
But if you can return the clubhead to the desired place by swinging the club around your head 3 times, doing a Tango halfway down and then jumping a foot in the air - then it matters not.......

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
To my mind, the backswing puts the club in the best position to return it to the intended position at the point of impact. So in that respect it does matter.
But if you can return the clubhead to the desired place by swinging the club around your head 3 times, doing a Tango halfway down and then jumping a foot in the air - then it matters not.......

When did you see my swing then.(only I miss the ball).

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If your back swing is too flat and tends to go around rather than up, then you'll create an over the top out to in swing path and slice the ball.

To cure the above for me, I was told to move the club on the take away so it felt like I was pushing the club away, look at Ricky Fowlers swing, then I was told to make it feel like I was pulling on the butt of the club, so that I didn't cast the club over the top and that would bring the club back round on plane and square.

Well that's the theory, in practice the reality is a lot harder to achieve, but practice makes perfect.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It doesn't really matter what you do in your backswing provided the ball goes the correct distance and direction you want it to... if however it doesn't then you may need to rethink your strategy :thup:

You could helicopter the club around your head a few times if you find that the most constistent way :whistle: if however that doesn't work for you then a smooth, 3/4, on plane backswing might be better ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, it matters. Taking the club away too far inside or outside are major contributors to poor ball striking.

You may hear that some top golfers like Jim Furyk can hit the ball well with a steep backswing and he can, he is an exceptionally talented golfer with the ability to reroute the club back on plane. Most people cant though.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The tempo on my backswing dictates my shot, get it right and i can feel the swing will be good,get it wrong 9/10,i usually hit it bad,