How much difference does an expensive putter really make?

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Expensive putters are a complete waste of money,what you need to do is try out a bunch off putters and stick with the one you feel comfortable with.Ive used the same putter for the last 7 years and guys ive caddied for on tour were shooting crazy low rounds with the same stick they were using in the 70's.Try a bunch out and practise like mad with the one you choose and don't adopt the "scotty approach" where you think the club will do the work for you cos it wont!.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Next time you get a chance, look at what is in the bag of your pro, assistant pro or cat 1 players...

Yes an expensive putter can make a difference, but not always a positive one! It could make you worse.

What will make you better is:

1. Lessons
2. Practice
3. Equipment that can produce a repeatable action with predictable results. ie if you make the same stroke twice in a row you get the same result.
4. Confidence, but that comes from the three above, you cannot have it until you have sorted the first lot! (or if you did it won't last long!)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your welcome to your opinion of course, but i don't think its a silly question, i was just asking how much difference it makes?

Maybe i should have worded it, "does more developement go into an expensive putter so theoreticly it could give better results" :rolleyes:

Incidently, i notice that you don't use a 35 quid putter yourself.

No, I don't use a 35 quid putter, but I didn't get this one just because it was expensive.

More development (and/or marketing) may go into more expensive putters, but if you look at the Cameron or Odyssey putter range, you will see that there are a range of styles, including head shape, shaft angle, length and weight, and some of these will suit you better than others.

Maybe your putting swing suits a putter like the Odyssey number 9. If so, you can also look at similar designs by everyone from Benross to Cameron, at a range of prices. Maybe you suit a Newport design. Then you can choose from a range of similar shapes at a range of prices.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I changed the putter I bought when I got my clubs after a few months, I really didnt like it and as a result was often expecting to 3 putt, I am a lot happier with the one I have now and that makes me more confident on the greens. I tried a Scotty in the pro's shop the other dayto see what all the hype was about, didn't like it at all.

D

deanobillquay

It comes down to what suits you regardless of price. My bro is fantastic at putting and he has a Dunlop putter, it works for him and he won't change it - he plays off 16.

Try some out, go with what you like, can afford, regardless of what people say.

I bought mine because I wanted it - seemples.

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Think i'll be investing in a gap edge before a new putter thats for sure. I quite like the current putter i have, although wouldn't mind getting it regripped. Not too keen on the current grip!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It comes down to what suits you regardless of price. My bro is fantastic at putting and he has a Dunlop putter, it works for him and he won't change it - he plays off 16.

Try some out, go with what you like, can afford, regardless of what people say.

I bought mine because I wanted it - seemples.
Years ago I played with a bloke who had this old putter that wasn't even branded,this guy literally never missed within 6 foot,he could putt its as simple as that.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This is a rather silly question. ...it should be obvious to any fool that price is not a simple measure of how appropriate or suitable they are.

Definitely harsh imo. OP-er is asking for advice and you call his question silly and imply he's a fool! Smacks of the arrogance of some members of the Medical industry!

It is one thing to ask if a [certain brand] is better than another [certain brand]

Now that could well be a silly (pointless and oh so endless) question! The Cameron vs Bettinardi 'debates' on WRX demonstrate that!

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I feel like I lucked out, bought a second hand macgregor bobby grace on ebay for £20 (i think they were like £200 back in the day) and I love it

Great big mallet putter, looks like something Brunel would putt with! I wouldn't change it for the world

My mother in law uses an ancient bullseye type putter, the kind like you get at adventure golf places and she won't change that for love nor money

One day I may go and try a blade putter as I prefer the look of them, but it'll have to be pretty good to get me to change

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had numerous putters over the years. Always kept hold of my original Anser 2 and really like the blade style. However I wasn't making enough putts and started missing the short ones. Went to an odyssey white ice #9 and really improved. But, I wasn't happy with the feel off the insert so wanted to get a more solid feel akin to my Ping. Got a milled prto touch odyssey but had a result and instead of RRP of £229, I picked it up for £160. As many pay that and more for a driver that lasts maybe a few seasons it seemed a great deal for a putter that now gives me the stability of a half mallet shape and the feel I crave with the milled face.

I have also had a variety of cheaper putters inculding a free original version of the TM Spider (can't get better than that cost wise) and a few mid prices (£50-100) but none really did it. It is such a personal thing but in the OP's case if the putts are dropping then stick with the one you have. If you are looking, my advice is to try and get to a good pro shop and ideally try on grass instead of a mat.

DCB

Visit site
I've an old Wilson 8802, unfortunately not one of the 1964 vintage ones, but nevertheless a very nice old putter indeed. It looks like a putter should. Can I use it..... no chance. It doesn't suit my style of stroke. My mate Kenny on the other hand has a similar style putter and he is deadly with it. It is ideally suited to his style of stroke. I'm sure if I swapped my current putter with him, we'd both struggle to putt well. It's all about getting a putter that works with your style of putting stroke. Cost doesn't come into it. Get one that works for YOU and it's an easier game.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putting is mostly in your head, if you have a putter you like the look/feel of, chances are you will putt well with it. But expensive wont make you putt better but it will make you feel better, my dad uses a scotty and i coukd probably outt better than him using the kitchen brush!
Scotty Cameron's are mega expensive because of the quality on the work, milled from one piece steel etc. but personally I don't like them, I tried them and didn't think it felt any better than anything else.
If you are going to buy a new one, get fitted, face/toe balanced, mallets and blades are all aimed at a particular swing arc.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first decent putter I bought was a Ping Anser, That was around 1999. I couldn't believe the difference between the Ping and the Cheap £10 putter that I can't remember the name of. The roll and the consistency of distance control seemed unbelievable with the Ping. So I think there's definately a difference at that end of the Scale.

I've had lots of Putters since then,including a few Scottys. And guess what, I'm back using a Ping Anser and have been for about the last 3 years.
It certainly performs as well as any Scotty I've used. So at the Top end of the Scale I'd say there isn't much difference between a Ping or a Scotty, or a Rife or a Bettinardi.... It's all about personal preference.

In my experience, the worst thing you can do is keep changing putters.
With the amount of different materials and inserts available nowadays in the heads, you never learn to get a feel for anything if you keep changing.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I found my Ping G2i B60 in a property I was clearing out in work. I had another brand putter everyone thought was great. I keep it in the house to practise swinging with now as the Ping gives much better results.

Also if you do try a friends putter and have great results, try it a few times, then get on golfbidder etc to get it cheaper than in stores

Like they say if it aint broke, dont fix it.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
i cant believe the crap people are coming out with here

if its new shiney and cost loads of moollars then ofcourse its gonna help , get spending !!!

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest, is there any rule that actually forbids the use of 2 putters in a bag? For instance, a player prefers long putting with say, a mallet putter but within 6 foot a blade putter?

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree with all the posts about the right putter being one that suits you. A putter fitting might be the best way to find that - and that tends to be offered by some of the bigger names, with a price tag to match. Also agree with the confidence thing - if you feel it is going to work, then it just might!

grizzler

Club Champion
Visit site
A good putter does make a difference IMO, don't have to spend big money though £50 will get a good second hand one. What type of ball you use will also affect your feel around the greens, especially the longer putts!