how many yards do you tend to loose with a range ball or is it a myth

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Between 10% - 20%. Should also note that some ranges move their distance markers shorter to compensate and make it look like your hitting those distances.......

The range nearest me has markers that are real yardage, I've lasered them to confirm. I know if I hit good shots with my 7 iron, I can still clear the 150 yd marker with their balls. Go to the range a little bit up the road, I can still hit their balls over the 150 yd marker with my 7 iron, looks just like how I hit on the other range. However, when I lasered their markers, the 150 yd marker is closer to 120........
Yep! 20% is 'typical' for 'reduced distance' range balls.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I just worry about my swing, the strike and what direction the ball goes.

I know my distances on the course well so its not important on the range

Grizzly

Visit site
I'm probably not good enough - ie reliable enough in how I strike the ball - to be the best gauge of this. But I tend to find the distance carry is not that different with the Mizuno balls at my range. You don't tend to get the same flight as with a decent Ttileist though - the balls balloon and for me they drop like a stone, and struggle in the wind as a result.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Back in the day, range balls were pretty poor but nowadays compare favourably with standard balls. Even comparing different types of standard balls from mainstream manufacturers you will find different characteristics as to how far they carry, roll and spin. Just look at the six different balls from Titleist.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
This should probably be on the "Random Irritation" thread.

Why can't the mods change "loose" to "lose" on thread titles on threads such as this?

I'm a bit bored today. All I've got to look forward to is a funeral tomorrow on VE-day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
we have balls that are about 10% shorter - according to our pro
We use to be able to use our own balls on the practice ground and the rule was if someone wanted to go and pick their balls up, the others stopped. I think as they obviously go the full distance we also had some issues with the house at the bottom of the range and balls getting dangerously near their property/garden so health and safety kicked in. We use Srixon range balls now which are reduced distance (around 80%)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are so many non range balls and a big mix of makes of them anyway in our system. if I was using the session to check distance I would use the range balls to warm up and the standard balls to gauge distance.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you can get to one, use a practice fairway. Most clubs have one. I hate using driving ranges as they are just wide open fields, no hanging trees, rivers nor rough...just wide open fields with little numbers and the occasional flag to aim at which is not realistic.
Imagine learning to rally on the m25 then your first competitive race is down a lane barely wide enough for the wing mirrors. In my opinion you should try to hone your accuracy and distance on as near to real conditions as possible and forget range balls and how far they go. On a range, you cannot walk after your shots and see where they all ended up more accurately either, being able to gather them gives you a better idea of dispersion too.

This is all very well if you've got time to go to the course, your course has a big practice ground (mine hasn't) & you can be bothered to go & pick up the balls afterwards. The range is convenient. The quality of balls, as long as the have decent dimples, is unimportant. The shot shape is exactly the same as you would get with a proper ball. You can't really work on distance control at the range, do that on the course. I don't get what you mean about practising in an open field. You choose a target & try to hit it, you don't need to walk after the balls to gauge the dispersion, it's pretty obvious, isn't it?
I agree that practising under as real conditions is best but I find range work invaluable when grooving a swing or eliminating a fault.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think it also depends on the club used.

Our range balls are reasonable distance-wish from approx 7 iron up. It's been ok to use them for checking wedge gapping for example. Progressively using the longer clubs you loose distance compared with "normal" balls.

Steviefella

Visit site
I practiced on 2 different ranges, twice a week since December until the horrible thing. One thing I noticed, was the balls on one range not only fly shorter and drop like a stone, they hook and slice so much more on a bad shot.
I have found the odd titleist or callaway ball in among my 100 balls sometimes and it can be really noticable when they are hit. Extra longer and fly soo much nicer.
I did take a dozen practice balls on once too to compare and nearly every one went over the back.

Chico84

Visit site
I have definitely noticed that the range balls at my range don’t go as far as the odd non-range ball that occasionally makes an appearance. As I understand it the range sees over ten million shots a year so I’m not surprised if the balls are a bit compromised.

I have also been told that the tees had to cut down a bit to stop big hitters putting balls over the back fence onto the dual carriageway behind. I’d assume they want the balls to help prevent this too.

As for too tracer I have generally found it pretty accurate when compared to proper balls out on the course.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have also been told that the tees had to cut down a bit to stop big hitters putting balls over the back fence onto the dual carriageway behind. I’d assume they want the balls to help prevent this too.

I am amazed that they got planning permission to build a golf range with a dual carriage way beyond the fence even if the fence is high.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
My local range was recently taken over and had a bit of a refit...new mats, balls etc...
The new balls definitely have a distance limit to them
The range is about 270 yards long with a net/fence at about 260 because beyond that is long grass and fields.
The previous incarnation used balls that I could pitch into the fence
The new balls don't even make the fence
Occasionally, one of the old balls appears in the basket - they make the fence so it ain't me!

Chico84

Visit site
I am amazed that they got planning permission to build a golf range with a dual carriage way beyond the fence even if the fence is high.

It is a very high fence and you would have to be a very proficient driver of the ball to genuinely clear it. I think it’s one of the biggest ranges around.