how many yards do you tend to loose with a range ball or is it a myth

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was just wondering how you would calculate your carry using the driving range how many yards would you add to account for the range ball?

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on how cheap the range is, I find the cheaper the range the worse the balls and vice versa. Why not get some old decent balls and try a little test between them and the range balls.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most ranges use distance reducing balls - otherwise the range would have to be IRO 350 yards long to accomodate the long hitters in a down wind.

However, the reduction factor varies between design of ball, so theres actually no way of knowing (unless you ask at the range and you may get a dodgy answer). The quality of range balls also has an effect. Worn balls wont fly nearly as well for example.

I dont use the range for this purpose. Use the make of alls you use and a laser for this purpose. Or simply take notes as you play.:thup:

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well I know when I've caught a drive clean on the course and then Google Earth'd it to check approx how far it went t's in the region of 280.

That's near the back wall at the range but I know that I'm nowhere near that when I catch a drive flush there.

I would venture a guess that I lose 10-15% of distance.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Between 10% - 20%. Should also note that some ranges move their distance markers shorter to compensate and make it look like your hitting those distances.......

The range nearest me has markers that are real yardage, I've lasered them to confirm. I know if I hit good shots with my 7 iron, I can still clear the 150 yd marker with their balls. Go to the range a little bit up the road, I can still hit their balls over the 150 yd marker with my 7 iron, looks just like how I hit on the other range. However, when I lasered their markers, the 150 yd marker is closer to 120........

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
depends on the range and the balls

I still think that ranges are a dose of reality for some players rather than false distances ie you get a truer indication of 'carry' than can happen on the course at times.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we have srixon range balls. they feel hard and durable as they need to be. i can confirm that they go exactly the same distance as a regular ball. i found sum out on our course last winter and hit them as a test against real golf balls. the range balls plugged at exactly the same distance as the regular balls!

granted ive been to another range that had cheap hard yellow balls. id imagine these wouldnt go as far!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The range I use has markers at 150 yards that are really 120, ones at 230 which are really 200, etc. Their balls are down quite a bit on real golf balls. It makes it impossible to tell distances. I just worry about the strike, and the ball flight.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you can get to one, use a practice fairway. Most clubs have one. I hate using driving ranges as they are just wide open fields, no hanging trees, rivers nor rough...just wide open fields with little numbers and the occasional flag to aim at which is not realistic.
Imagine learning to rally on the m25 then your first competitive race is down a lane barely wide enough for the wing mirrors. In my opinion you should try to hone your accuracy and distance on as near to real conditions as possible and forget range balls and how far they go. On a range, you cannot walk after your shots and see where they all ended up more accurately either, being able to gather them gives you a better idea of dispersion too.

Last edited:

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The range I use has markers at 150 yards that are really 120, ones at 230 which are really 200, etc. Their balls are down quite a bit on real golf balls. It makes it impossible to tell distances. I just worry about the strike, and the ball flight.

I think most ranges set there markers from the wall behind you, sounds silly but true.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I used to hit the 200 yd marker with my 3 iron at my range, they recently changed to new srixon balls that feel more rubbery and I cannot reach 200 yds now with ANY shot.....so now its my 19* hybrid to even get close

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really do not take any notice on how far the range ball goes, all I care is about how good the strike was. On the range at my club you can have a 20 yard difference from one ball to another. I know I hit a 9-iron 150, but sometimes on my range my 6-iron will barely fly past it. So to be honest it is a myth on most ranges, but htere are some out there that actually uses real golf balls.

D

Deleted Member 1156

To be honest, the range IS NOT the place to work on distance, you should just work on the mechanics of the swing. Even trying to work on shaping your shots can be a waste of time as with worn dimples the ball won't react the way you expect.

I just concentrate purely on my swing then use practice rounds with proper balls to find out my distances.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
No myth. Unless your range has very good balls, the distance is compromised. More noticeable on the longer clubs.

Rumour has it, when they set up our range, they moved all the boards nearer to take this into account.

Anything over a 7 iron, I take no notice whatsoever. Why I take a mental note (in about 0.02 seconds) of the distance with short clubs I don't know. Force of habit I guess.

I know if I hit the 100 board with my wedge, that'll easily be 100+ on the course, so that's OK. Same with the 150 marker, which is actually a pole in the ground, I hit that sometimes too. :)

As for the "nets" at 50/80 yards, I can't think of a bigger waste of balls. These tiddlers are for the practice ground.

roumligyor67

Visit site
The range at my neck of the woods recently had toptracer put in all the bays, they use Srixon Range Balls, i thought they didn't go as far as i was carrying my drives between 240 and 250, i put an old banged up ProV1 down and carried it 260, but then 1 day i was really warmed up and i carried a range ball 270, i am starting to believe its the person swinging the club and not the ball thats the issue!