How many shots are full custom fit clubs worth?

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For those of you with fitted clubs.

If you were handed a totally different set how many shots do you think you'd suffer by?

I'm not saying huge difference in specs. Not like being an extra stiff shaft user being handed senior flex.

Suppose a stiff shaft player handed other stiff shafts. But nothing looked at regards length,lie,etc

Would the difference be more or less than 5 shots?

Could depend on player ability, I'm sure a low handicap player might adapt.
Interested to see what others think given the huge emphasis on custom fitting these days

evemccc

Visit site
For those of you with fitted clubs.

If you were handed a totally different set how many shots do you think you'd suffer by?

I'm not saying huge difference in specs. Not like being an extra stiff shaft user being handed senior flex.

Suppose a stiff shaft player handed other stiff shafts. But nothing looked at regards length,lie,etc

Would the difference be more or less than 5 shots?

Could depend on player ability, I'm sure a low handicap player might adapt.
Interested to see what others think given the huge emphasis on custom fitting these days

This is an interesting question, as I'm still learning and developing my swing with lessons, and I (hope) haven't yet plateaued and wondering what a good fitting would do to help me more than the very much 'non-fit' ebay clubs that I have

My view is that I need to improve my swing fundamentals firstly and then invest in custom clubs, rather than buying now to help the central flaw - my swing. Obviously if I was made of money then I would buy custom fit clubs immediately.

I'm especially interested in answers to this related to lie angle....as that's what my last lesson focused on

evemccc

Visit site
In answer to your question, I think a good player (single-figure HI) would adapt but shoot 2 or 3 shots lower than their usual score...probably because they'd miss more greens, thus causing an extra shot because it's hard to consistently get up-and-down to save par if you're not GIR

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would depend. I think if the clubs where a good static fit for a golfer there wouldn't be much difference. However, at 6ft 4 if I use off the shelf clubs then I'll shoot +10 easy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Other way round for me.

Not long replaced all of my 15-20 yr old off-the-shelf clubs with new custom fitted ones. Only club I have kept is my putter. I reckon my CH will have increased by 2 - possibly 3 - shots before I turn things around. Not helped by my trying to fix a fundamental flaw in my swing at the same time as playing into new bats. Since start of WHS my H/I has gone from 8.1 to 10.3. Irons are visually fine. ‘Woods’ less so and more problematic.

I was good with my woods/hybrids and poor with my irons. What I have to do to fix my irons has nearly but not quite broken my woods. Frustrating…but one step at a time. Sort my irons, fixing my woods should follow with less work. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you’re average height and build you should save a couple of shots from having been fitted. You’ll likely to push/pull less with the correct set up and hone in distance and dispersion a bit more.

I’m 6ft 5in and whilst still a high-ish handicapper (23), I felt a big improvement in consistency after having got some clubs suited to my height and swing speed. It probably amounts to half a shot per hole saving over the course of a round.

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong time to get fitted. If you’re not buying second hand, you may as well get fit as most fitters don’t charge with a purchase.