How Many Balls?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Was going through my bag last night and found I had 8 balls in there (all Callaway ChromeSofts). That got me thinking as to whether I was carrying more, or less, than I needed. So my question is, how many balls do you have in the bag as a bare minimum before starting a round? Also, just for giggles, what ball do you play, or do you have a mix?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I use Taylormade TPx balls and usually carry a 2nd one in case I have to play a provisional :whistle:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
when I emptied my bag on Friday after playing in the rain there were about 20 balls in there - mostly Z stars and AD333's which are my preferred ball.
there were also about 8 other brands that I found that day that will go into my practice bag

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Probably need no more than half a dozen as I don't tend to lose many
I do, however, have a few more than that in the bag - let's just say I've run out of fingers and toes....
I use ProVs ( both), TM Tp, Chromesoft, ZStar or anything of that ilk.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
all sorts in winter.

usually find a fair few balls while walking the dogs, so went to stick last nights finds in the bag.

couldn't fit them in, more then 30 at the moment.
couple of Nike RZN
handful of Callaways.
couple of yellow z star
3 bridgestones
some TM TP and lethal
handful of Prov V1

once the season starts, it will just be a dozen Pro V's

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Was going through my bag last night and found I had 8 balls in there (all Callaway ChromeSofts). That got me thinking as to whether I was carrying more, or less, than I needed. So my question is, how many balls do you have in the bag as a bare minimum before starting a round? Also, just for giggles, what ball do you play, or do you have a mix?
I usually have 18 so I can lose one per hole. ;)
They're usually a few Callaway CXR Power, although there will be the odd ProV1 I find in the bushes as well. At this time of year I just play with found balls.

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I am quite OCD. I carry 6 Nike PD soft balls, 4 yellow Slazenger balls just in case of frost, and 4 grade B Srixon balls for hitting over water when I am playing badly. I regularly take all the balls out of my bag to check I have the above. Yes, I know, very sad !!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I start to get nervous when I have less than 10 balls with me (even though I think the absolute maximum I ever lost in one round was 6). I play either lakeballs or whatever I find on the round. Since I don't mind playing colored balls, I always end up getting a few found ones form my playing partners as well, since they won't touch anything other than white ones. I bought two dozen pink Callaway Solaire lakeballs once and really loved to play them, but they are really hard to see and I lose them even faster than other balls.

JamPal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots, couple of sleeves of BX330's for best. Couple of handfuls of Practice stamped NXT Tours for winter hacking.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Normally have a dozen at any one time (lose 1 or 2 a round on average but can't shake the feeling I might need more) Mix of Noodles & Srixons

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am quite OCD. I carry 6 Nike PD soft balls, 4 yellow Slazenger balls just in case of frost, and 4 grade B Srixon balls for hitting over water when I am playing badly. I regularly take all the balls out of my bag to check I have the above. Yes, I know, very sad !!
I emptied out my golf bag recently, and found that I had 25 golf balls in there, ranging from 2 sleeves of brand new ones to some very well used and tatty ones. The really tatty ones were thrown in the bin and the middling condition ones were given to a high handicap friend who loses lots of balls. I think the minimum number I would be happy starting a round with is about 6, with more than one type in case a provisional ball is required. I tend not to lose many balls btw.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably about 9 of my playing ball. Couple of sleeves in the front pocket and 3 in the ball pocket. But then i'll have a few other 'pick-ups' in there as well.

I'm using AD333 Tour's at the moment, usually use Z-Stars in the summer. I probably loose a ball every 2-3 rounds maybe, if I haven't then it'll need replacing anyway by then.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
For my winter carry bag I just have about 10 of mixed vintage as it's all just bounce games.

For the summer in my trolley bag I probably carry a 10-20 as it doesn't really bother me. My main ball in this one is the Callaway Hex Chrome in a nice bright yellow.

I remember years ago when I used to play regularly with my brother, I would pick it up and always comment about the weight of his bag. One day he told me he had cleaned out the bag as he had bought a new one and said he had over 60 balls in the bag! No wonder it was so flipping heavy!