How Many Balls?

seochris

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Play with about 6 in the bag that I would actually use. B330RX usually, or TM TP or Srixon ZVs. I don't usually lose too many as I cant hit it that far....so when I do lose one its generally a bit tatty and i cant be ar*ed to look for it!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i generally have about a dozen in the bag before playing a round ,sometimes after that round i could have twice that with pick ups .unfortunately most of my pick ups are of top flites or dunlops ,i think the seniors favorite ball at my course is a top flite.
my preferance for a ball is the AD 333 or any of the nike range seem to work for me ,

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depending on the course, between 6 & 9 or so.
If i don't lose any I'll use 3 each round normally.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Over 20 balls in your bag. No wonder there is trolly bans.
My problem is that I normally find more golf balls than I lose (or wear them out before I lose them). When I was a hard up teenage golfer back in the 1960s, a golf ball was a valuable commodity, and I just can't get out of the habit of hording the things! :(

Last edited:

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like to have 2 new sleeves in the bag, plus 2-3 that I've already played for provisionals if required.

Mainly using proV1x as people buy them for me at xmas and birthdays, on average i lose one every couple of rounds.

Pickups go straight in the practice bag.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
ball of choice atm is the bridgestone extra soft,

from April I will revert back to the wilson dx3,

can normally find up to 12 in the bag, as I tend to mark the whole box at the same time,

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
probably 7 or 8. Many more than I need. I tried carrying fewer but I have this weird paranoia that if I only carry 2 or 3 that I'm gonna lose them all and run out. I don't actually remember the last time I lost 3 balls in a round, in fact I don't remember the last time I lost more than one and that doesn't happen all that often - but then since when has paranoia been based on logic :confused:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Just been into the garage to have a look, this is going to be embarrassing, not so much for the quantity as the quality. :eek:
But here goes anyway:

1 x Wilson Titanium
1 x Forgan (orange)
2 x Slazenger Panther
4 x Srixon Distance
1 x Top Flite XL Distance (yellow)
1 x Callaway Warbird
1 x Callaway Diabalo
1 x Dunlop Tour Jnr
1 x Dunlop Tour Soft
2 x Titleist HP Tour
1 x Pinnacle Gold
1 x Nike PD Long (yellow)

17 in total and not even a half decent ball among them.
Some of them are not only bottom end budget balls but they look like they've been bounced around on concrete.
On average I'd say I lose a ball a round but sometimes that can be 4 or 5!

Oh well, as others have said, it is winter. :whistle:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my trolley bag the ball pocket has far too many - probably 20-30 which accumulate as a result of pick-ups around the course or older ones that haven't been transferred into the shag bag.

Carrying, as we are at the moment, I don't have any more than 6.

Mixture of Titleist NXT Tour & Callaway CXR Control

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I have

9 x Srixon Soft Feel; actually bought and paid 4. (started with 12 ofthem 4 rounds (9 holes) ago)
7 x random finds of which I recognise 2 Titleis, 1 wilson Staff, and the other 4 I would have to google what they are.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never less than 3 and no more than 6.

Saw a funny scene unfold on the 1st tee in St Andrews last year. Tourist playing the Old and the caddy picks up his bag, puts it straight back down again, gesticulates strangely and starts a discussion with the player. The caddy trots off and leaves the guy with his bag looking a little sheepish. Caddy comes back with an old yellow umbrella and starts pulling balls out of the bag and filling the umbrella. Every single pocket and compartment in the bag was stuffed full of balls, I'm not even kidding, he was scooping balls out of pockets with two hands like he was bailing out a dinghy. He then half-folded the umbrella, tied it up to make what I can only describe as a pregnant banana and secreted the whole package away, I presumed for collection when they'd walked off the 18th. A fully stocked shag bag would have held less balls than what was put in that umbrella. No idea what happened afterwards but I certainly hope that caddy earned his tip and didn't lose a ball after that. :D

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a guess I would have said 20 but having counted them I was surprised to find it is 27 and 6 pick ups for use in the nets. Most are cheap and cheerful Dunlops for use on our paddy field in the winter but there is also a mix of Pro v's. NXT Tours and Bridgestone's for using on dry or links courses.