How long

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How long does it take all members to realise that Local Rules have changed?

On Monday I had to speak to one group who were putting on the green with the flag in. A rule we removed from the local rules seven years ago (a rule not allowed by the R&A). We had never allowed it in a comp anyway.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
How long does it take all members to realise that Local Rules have changed?

On Monday I had to speak to one group who were putting on the green with the flag in. A rule we removed from the local rules seven years ago (a rule not allowed by the R&A). We had never allowed it in a comp anyway.

Was it in a comp?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our club has a significant communication problem so the answer to that is endless. It will put up a letter on the notice board that people stopped reading a number of years ago and think that is done. If your club communicates well then it should just be a matter of a few weeks or months, allowing for old habits to die.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club has a significant communication problem so the answer to that is endless. It will put up a letter on the notice board that people stopped reading a number of years ago and think that is done. If your club communicates well then it should just be a matter of a few weeks or months, allowing for old habits to die.

I find the basis problem is that players do not read the notices in the fist place regardless of how many we put up.

We had a very big display just outside the lounge when the new Local Rules were introduced. I overheard one ex Lady Captain remark to another lady " If you think I am reading that lot....".

When we bring in Winter Rules we also put a reminder notice as part of it. Last Years was "do not leave the flag in when putting including on temp greens". First Saturday comp (last year) with temp greens we should have had DQd loads of players but decided as there were so many we would let it slide just once.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I find the basis problem is that players do not read the notices in the fist place regardless of how many we put up.

We had a very big display just outside the lounge when the new Local Rules were introduced. I overheard one ex Lady Captain remark to another lady " If you think I am reading that lot....".

When we bring in Winter Rules we also put a reminder notice as part of it. Last Years was "do not leave the flag in when putting including on temp greens". First Saturday comp (last year) with temp greens we should have had DQd loads of players but decided as there were so many we would let it slide just once.

I think there might also be a problem with the presentation of the communication

There's that old saying with a theme like, if the message is missed or misunderstood then its up the the person with something to say to change it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

The issue could then well be how the message is being passed on. If you have a wall of letters they become white noise. I would be emailing the change out, once to announce it and then again with other notifications to ensure it is getting through. I would also have it flash up on the computer when you sign in to a competition. Those methods directly reach each member and are likely to stick in their minds.

The days of club notice boards being the font of all knowledge and information are long gone as far as I am concerned. People read information in a different way now and clubs need to move with that.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No quicker way to get the message across than disqualifications, goes through the bar like wild fire. :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The issue could then well be how the message is being passed on. If you have a wall of letters they become white noise. I would be emailing the change out, once to announce it and then again with other notifications to ensure it is getting through. I would also have it flash up on the computer when you sign in to a competition. Those methods directly reach each member and are likely to stick in their minds.

The days of club notice boards being the font of all knowledge and information are long gone as far as I am concerned. People read information in a different way now and clubs need to move with that.

We notify both by Noticeboard ( I know quite a few seniors who have neither a computer nor a smart phone) and by 'en masse' email. Copies of some of the notices are displayed right in front of men's eyes (just above the urinals).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
perfectly sensible rule for non comp play under winter rules, wouldnt call it silly

The trouble I find is that what players do in non comp friendly games often creeps in to competitions because the player just carries on doing what they do most of the time they play.

It has taken an age to get it in to players heads that they must mark the position of the ball before lifting it under the winter rules for example.