How long is the rough on your course?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can't drop within two club lengths,

There won't be that many situations when you won't be able to drop within 2 club lengths. You might not be able to drop it out of the deep stuff - but drop it then decide whether to play it or take another drop. You will eventually get clear of the deep stuff. Might take you a few drops but you'll get there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So do you think it's fair that an only slightly off line shot into the deep rough can be equally or more penalising than a really bad shot that goes OOB? If you lose a ball in the stuff or take 2 or more shots to hack out of it, that is the case! I also damaged the tendons in my left arm trying to hack a ball out of deep rough a couple of years ago, so perhaps a Health & Safety issue as well! :confused:

What tosh. If you hit it in there deal with. Our Saturday group has handicaps ranging from low single figures to 27. Most, including the high handicappers, manage to plot their way round and avoid the danger zones. Sorry but your talking Jackson Pollocks

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some of ours has maxed out at head high this year!!!
Admittedly those bits are a long way off line but in places you can get a bad bounce from the fairway and be knee deep.
Hopefully it won't grow any more and will start to thin.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There won't be that many situations when you won't be able to drop within 2 club lengths. You might not be able to drop it out of the deep stuff - but drop it then decide whether to play it or take another drop. You will eventually get clear of the deep stuff. Might take you a few drops but you'll get there.
If you have to take two or more penalty drops to get out of the cabbage, you would be better off going back to the spot from which the ball was last played under stroke and distance penalty. :mmm:

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was up at the club for the first time in a couple of weeks, I distinctly remember thinking that the rough looked brutal as I was walking down the middle of the fairways :D

D

Deleted member 1147

...Admittedly those bits are a long way off line but in places you can get a bad bounce from the fairway and be knee deep...

That's the biggest annoyance factor, when it isn't actually a bad shot that leads to a lost ball.

But then again Phil would probably say you shouldn't have hit that specific bit of fairway which caused the bad bounce!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So do you think it's fair that an only slightly off line shot into the deep rough can be equally or more penalising than a really bad shot that goes OOB? If you lose a ball in the stuff or take 2 or more shots to hack out of it, that is the case! I also damaged the tendons in my left arm trying to hack a ball out of deep rough a couple of years ago, so perhaps a Health & Safety issue as well! :confused:

So del, if the whole course was mown to fairway length, the trees and bunkers were removed and we had 20" holes, would you stop moaning and trying to change things?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Saw the card you messaged. Mighty fine scoring. I was pleased with my net 72 on Sunday with 4 doubles and not feeling like I was swinging great so maybe, just maybe we're running into form before next weekend

One thing I have come to learn over the years is that there is no such thing as form where my golf is concerned!!

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Long rough that is hard to find or play a ball I have no issue with, but it does frustrate me that a lot of clubs have areas where a lot of handicap golfers will normnally hit a bad shot and they don't install a few markers in the rough so it is easier to get a line on where your ball went it.
These are employed with great success on a number of heathland courses and they really aid in locating your ball and then of course speeding up play.
I guess the other solution is get down to -5 and join the tour and then get the crowd/marshalls to locate your ball, but I figure installing a few markers may be the quicker and easier option for me. :p

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So del, if the whole course was mown to fairway length, the trees and bunkers were removed and we had 20" holes, would you stop moaning and trying to change things?
I think the rough should at least be cut down to a length that you have a reasonable chance of finding your ball and being able to play a wedge out of it without risking injury! :)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the rough should at least be cut down to a length that you have a reasonable chance of finding your ball and being able to play a wedge out of it without risking injury! :)

I agree, unless you are miles offline in which case tough

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
You guys seem to have it pretty easy.... Knee length was so last month! :D

In my head I am crying about the length of the rough but its just summer isn't it?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
At our course due some making a loss last year we have had to reduce the green staff this has resulted in parts of the course not being cut at all and an extra level of rough being introduced, it not so much the length as it is not much over knee length but due to all the rain and sun we have had it is so thick. You have to be very lucky to find your ball in there and you will be lucky to get it out once you do.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At our course due some making a loss last year we have had to reduce the green staff this has resulted in parts of the course not being cut at all and an extra level of rough being introduced, it not so much the length as it is not much over knee length but due to all the rain and sun we have had it is so thick. You have to be very lucky to find your ball in there and you will be lucky to get it out once you do.

...and you have to be all the cut grass somewhere - it doesn't magic itself away after you've cut it