How long is the rough on your course?

D

Deleted member 1147

Why do you constantly want to make the game easier ?!

Everyone has to play the same course - if you can't keep your ball in the fairway then expect to be punished.

There's a difference between being punished with a more difficult shot & being punished with a lost ball or unplayable shot.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There's a difference between being punished with a more difficult shot & being punished with a lost ball or unplayable shot.
Exactly! At our course we have fairways, then semi-rough from which you can play a mid iron or a rescue club and immediately next to that the really deep stuff, where you are lucky to even find the ball. Bearing in mind that most players hit bad shots on a random basis, it makes golf a bit of a lottery. I recently scored 37 points when none of my less good shots found the rough and 25 points when they did, although my standard of play was similar in both rounds. Mo Martin won the Ladies Open because her short hitting largely kept her out of the rough, so she didn't rack up any big numbers, whereas a lot of more talented players did!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Exactly! At our course we have fairways, then semi-rough from which you can play a mid iron or a rescue club and immediately next to that the really deep stuff, where you are lucky to even find the ball. Bearing in mind that most players hit bad shots on a random basis, it makes golf a bit of a lottery. I recently scored 37 points when none of my less good shots found the rough and 25 points when they did, although my standard of play was similar in both rounds. Mo Martin won the Ladies Open because her short hitting largely kept her out of the rough, so she didn't rack up any big numbers, whereas a lot of more talented players did!

That doesn't answer LPP's question! Why do you constantly want to make the game easier?

And MM won because she played the course better - shooting a lower score - than anyone else! It's performance, not (apparent) talent, that wins sporting contests!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you constantly want to make the game easier ?!

Everyone has to play the same course - if you can't keep your ball in the fairway then expect to be punished.

I play this game for fun, not work. I don't want to be punished, I want to have fun.

I am all for rough that drops you a shot, but not a first cut that sends you back to the tee due to poor maintenance, pretty much the biggest gripe at my old club and why all the members left.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I play this game for fun, not work. I don't want to be punished, I want to have fun.

I am all for rough that drops you a shot, but not a first cut that sends you back to the tee due to poor maintenance, pretty much the biggest gripe at my old club and why all the members left.

Well, I don't believe that any club that wants to survive as a Golf club has first cut like that! Third, yes and probably 2nd on occasions when it catches them out; but 1st cut...someone is taking the P!

D

Deleted member 15344

Well that's not a golf club people will want to be a member of anyway

I also play the game for fun but I know that if I play a poor shot I should expect to have to deal with the consequences

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry but that is complete and utter tosh - if you keep the ball out of the rough then you have played a better round of golf and you get rewarded by that. If your ball is going into the rough then you are playing the wrong shot.

I believe Rick had a look at the scores at your club recently and lots of scores in the 40 points.

I bet you don't mind the course set up when you score well but want it change when you score poorly - you appear to want the game changed because it is too hard for you at times - bigger holes , less rough - your simple answer is to go play crazy golf

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very long rough at the British Ladies Open, and what happens? A short hitting nobody wins it and many great players miss the cut! What is the British obsession with long wild rough. They have rough in the States, but at least it is cut and graded, and normally not impossible to hack out of the stuff. At our course providing a suitable habitat for butterflies seems to be considered more important than providing a fair test for the players who pay for it! :angry:

Its called links golf. Get use to it. It's once a year and designed to test the best golfer out there over four days. I suggest you look at some of the rough areas at the US open way off line too. That ain't too pretty either

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We have a similar set up with a ten-15 yard strip of semi and then real thick stuff. How does it make it a lottery. I've a fairway 30-40 yards wide and a safety barrier of semi. If I hit it in the crap with a hole that wide I deserve what I get. Mo Martin won because she played the best golf. It just proves you don't have to bomb it round a links course. The so called more talented clearly didn't have the right game plan. Sorry Delc but not for the first time your talking rubbish and clearly looking for reactions

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
We have a similar set up with a ten-15 yard strip of semi and then real thick stuff. How does it make it a lottery. I've a fairway 30-40 yards wide and a safety barrier of semi. If I hit it in the crap with a hole that wide I deserve what I get. Mo Martin won because she played the best golf. It just proves you don't have to bomb it round a links course. The so called more talented clearly didn't have the right game plan. Sorry Delc but not for the first time your talking rubbish and clearly looking for reactions
So do you think it's fair that an only slightly off line shot into the deep rough can be equally or more penalising than a really bad shot that goes OOB? If you lose a ball in the stuff or take 2 or more shots to hack out of it, that is the case! I also damaged the tendons in my left arm trying to hack a ball out of deep rough a couple of years ago, so perhaps a Health & Safety issue as well! :confused:

D

Deleted member 15344

So do you think it's fair that an only slightly off line shot into the deep rough can be equally or more penali:confused:sing than a really bad shot that goes OOB? If you lose a ball in the stuff or take 2 or more shots to hack out of it, that is the case! I also damaged the tendons in my left arm trying to hack a ball out of deep rough a couple of years ago, so perhaps a Health & Safety issue as well!

Stop talking utter tosh !! Health and safety issue !! Utter nonsense

And if you are in the deep rough then you have played the incorrect shot - your fault

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So do you think it's fair that an only slightly off line shot into the deep rough can be equally or more penalising than a really bad shot that goes OOB? If you lose a ball in the stuff or take 2 or more shots to hack out of it, that is the case! I also damaged the tendons in my left arm trying to hack a ball out of deep rough a couple of years ago, so perhaps a Health & Safety issue as well! :confused:

Health and Safety issue playing out of rough, OH DEAR OH DEAR IVE BEEN TROLLED AGAIN

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Stop talking utter tosh !! Health and safety issue !! Utter nonsense

And if you are in the deep rough then you have played the incorrect shot - your fault
I honestly did get a fairly bad case of tennis elbow in my left arm after trying to hack a ball out of deep rough. Tennis elbow is basically the tendon on the outside of the elbow trying to tear itself of the bone, and can be excruciating painful! It doesn't only affect tennis players by the way. I had to rest for a couple of weeks and then wear an elbow brace when playing golf for 6 weeks after that, together with some physiotherapy stretching exercises.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our rough is tough. 1st hole 510yds off back. Hit an uphill 240yd drive 20yds off fairway to the right or left and your are in deep doggy doo. But you don't need to hit a driver as it's a par 5. So if you are that bothered about being a bit squinty off the tee take a 5 wood or long iron and hit it 220yds and not long enough to reach the horrid stuff. Then your second shot - trees to capture push or pull of wood or long iron and more horrid stuff out of sight all down RHS - so hit a nice easy straightish 6i or 7i iron 150yds and you won't reach the trees. And left with a 140-150yd 8i or 9i 3rd shot. Easy. Don't need to worry about the horrid stuff. Just play the course as you find it,

D

Deleted member 15344

I honestly did get a fairly bad case of tennis elbow in my left arm after trying to hack a ball out of deep rough. Tennis elbow is basically the tendon on the outside of the elbow trying to tear itself of the bone, and can be excruciating painful! It doesn't only affect tennis players by the way. I had to rest for a couple of weeks and then wear an elbow brace when playing golf for 6 weeks after that, together with some physiotherapy stretching exercises.

Unlucky - don't put the ball into the rough and if you are in there then play a sensible shot

Golf is hard - if it's too hard for you then don't play it

D

Deleted member 15344

I was only trying to hack it out with a sand iron. How more sensible can you be? :confused:

Take an unplayable then ?! It's not rocket science. You appear to be on a mission to make the game easier and dilute it because it appears too hard for you.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take an unplayable then ?! It's not rocket science. You appear to be on a mission to make the game easier and dilute it because it appears too hard for you.
If you can't drop within two club lengths, or go back along the line because it's all deep rough, then you only other option is go back and play another shot from your previous position with a stroke and distance penalty. As I said before, as penalising as going OOB! :rolleyes:

P.S. Our rough is now going to seed and a bit more wispy. So not quite so bad, but still easy to lose a ball in! :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

If you can't drop within two club lengths, or go back along the line because it's all deep rough, then you only other option is go back and play another shot from your previous spot with a stroke and distance penalty. As I said before, as penalising as going OOB! :rolleyes:
Then don't put it there in the first place !! Sorry no sympathy