How Long Do You Stand Over The Ball?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was playing with a member I hadn't played with before, and he told me "I don't think I've ever seen anyone spend less time standing over the ball than you do!" I said the longer I stand there the more can go wrong - all I'd do is start thinking about what can wrong, arms tense up, hey presto, a rubbish shot. Once I've decided what I'm trying to do, it's one practise swing, step forward an inch and hit the ball. (Not quite as quick as OMP off Golf Mates on YouTube though. ?)

Would people generally agree with this or maybe it's possible to go too quickly? Like maybe my stance, ball position isn't perfect every time because I don't spend more than a second thinking about it? Putting is one thing I wish I could make myself spend more time on I think - often feel I haven't spent long enough reading the green or picking where I'm going to aim. It's the same thing really, quick look at the line, step forward and hit ball - curse as it stops two feet short. ? I actually find it difficult to take any longer though, I just want to hit the ball and move on.

How long do you take?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m never too long over the ball for the same reason.

Two guys I play with are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One stands over it so long I sometimes think he’s nodded off. The other simply walks up to it and hits it - his total absence of a pre-shot routine regularly catches partners out, and they are talking as he plays his shot.

AliMc

Visit site
Yeah I'm the same as you, one half practice swing address the ball and hit it, whole process from tee in ground to hitting the ball probably takes about 20 seconds, certainly no more than 30, same for all shots really, take a bit more time on the greens looking at slopes & borrows etc but similar time in actually putting, some folk stand over the ball for an absolute eternity, don't know what's going on in their heads tbh

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I'm a thinker, I stand over the ball way to long at times (to the point where in my thoughts I'm thinking 'I've stood over this far too long!') trying to go into the shot with 1 thought, 1 practice swing and then hit it.......but hard to implement!

RRidges

Visit site
As long as it takes to get comfortable with the shot I've planned.
If that takes more than about 5 secs, then I reset, as I'll stiffen up and likely block it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Two guys I play with are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One stands over it so long I sometimes think he’s nodded off. The other simply walks up to it and hits it - his total absence of a pre-shot routine regularly catches partners out, and they are talking as he plays his shot.
My 28 capper mate had the same problem, used to stand over it for ages with the club just sitting there behind the ball. Knowing him as I do, his head was just go through all the negative thoughts, "don't hook it like last week" "don't top it again" etc. He has sped up a lot over the last year, and he plays much better as well. No coincidence.

Funnily enough three holes after the comment I got from the guy I mentioned, I accidentally allowed a thought into my head on my practise swing - something like "do my wrists always do that?" Then hit my worst drive of the day with a toppy push into the trees on the right.

Have just remembered another comment from an older player a few weeks ago - he used to play off 7 or 8 but is now 17 as he's got older. Having seen me hit he remarked that he used to hit it quickly like me but as he's got older he's lost confidence and this causes him to take longer to pull the trigger.

RichA

Visit site
I don't have a practice swing, but I do spend 5-10 seconds getting comfortable and mentally rehearsing the swing.
A friend has a couple of practice swings before getting in position, after which he spends about 30 seconds twitching and making false swings before eventually taking his shot. The rest of us are often doubled over trying to stifle laughs by this point.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't have a practice swing, but I do spend 5-10 seconds getting comfortable and mentally rehearsing the swing.
A friend has a couple of practice swings before getting in position, after which he spends about 30 seconds twitching and making false swings before eventually taking his shot. The rest of us are often doubled over trying to stifle laughs by this point.
One of my mates had 3 practise swings instead of his usual 2 on a tee shot the other day, I proposed we should give him a one shot penalty. Was only half joking. ?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'm also with you.

Don't even take a practice swing for anything that's on a respectable lie - just whack it and follow it down the hole...

Dodgy lies and feely chips get a bit more time and attention.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Haven't taken a practice swing, apart from short chips and pitches occasionally, for years...
I do take some time to "see" the shot but once I take my stance the ball is normally gone in 5 or 6 seconds.
Saw someone themother week who was having a real "golfing experience " over every shot.
From stance to contact was taking 25 seconds or more.....

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Also play with someone like this, walks on the tee and whacks it while everyone else is either getting to the tee or confirming their scores for the last hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Absolutely and exactly what my coach is telling me. Sort out my shot from behind, get a feel for it; visualise it, and get my target point. Walk up to ball, take stance and club behind ball, look at target - swing and hit.

No more than maybe 3 secs from taking stance and hitting. No practice swings; no waggles; nothing. As RRidges says…if I find myself getting to 5secs or starting to think about shot or swing I walk away and start again. And my coach…Get your head out of the way of your swing.

When practicing I’ll often walk up to ball and only pause long enough for me to have stopped moving before hitting the ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That is my two pps to a tee.

I have a practice swing while looking up the line from behind the ball.
Then club behind take stance hit it 10 secs max.

I don’t think there is a perfect PSR we’re all different so do what’s best for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I know before I get to the ball what shot I am going to hit somewhere around 5-10 seconds including taking the stance.

The funny thing is when the new rules came in

Rule 5 – Playing the Round
When it is a player’s turn to play, it is recommended that he or she make the stroke in no more than 40 seconds, and usually more quickly than that.

We all spent a little while timing each other to see how long we took and all agreed that 40 seconds was more than enough time.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Was playing with a member I hadn't played with before, and he told me "I don't think I've ever seen anyone spend less time standing over the ball than you do!" I said the longer I stand there the more can go wrong - all I'd do is start thinking about what can wrong, arms tense up, hey presto, a rubbish shot. Once I've decided what I'm trying to do, it's one practise swing, step forward an inch and hit the ball. (Not quite as quick as OMP off Golf Mates on YouTube though. ?)

Would people generally agree with this or maybe it's possible to go too quickly? Like maybe my stance, ball position isn't perfect every time because I don't spend more than a second thinking about it? Putting is one thing I wish I could make myself spend more time on I think - often feel I haven't spent long enough reading the green or picking where I'm going to aim. It's the same thing really, quick look at the line, step forward and hit ball - curse as it stops two feet short. ? I actually find it difficult to take any longer though, I just want to hit the ball and move on.

How long do you take?

To the bold part, I'd say no. As long as you're consistent. I absolutely play my best golf when what I'm doing is consistent and I do believe a pre-shot routine is part of that. Muscle memory is hugely important. For me it's a case of what shot do I want to hit, 1/2 practice swings, step back and double check line, then go.

Springveldt

Visit site
Over the ball, only a few seconds. A quick look at the target while waggling the club then eyes on the ball and hit.

On the way up to the ball I'll pick out a target before I even get to the ball, laser the distance, get club, 2 practice swings at the side of the ball, then do the above.

Reactions: sjw

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the ball, only a few seconds. A quick look at the target while waggling the club then eyes on the ball and hit.

On the way up to the ball I'll pick out a target before I even get to the ball, laser the distance, get club, 2 practice swings at the side of the ball, then do the above.
This is the proper way to do it.
Unfortunately a lot of golfers don’t do anything until it’s their turn to play.