How far from and how far would

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok lads lets see what we're like at travelling. How far do you all live from you're home course? And how far would you be willing to travel to join a club. I live 2 miles from my course, thankfully I don't have much travelling to do to get to the course, but I'm sure some of you guys and gals over in the mainland may have quite a bit to travel.
As for me travelling to another course if I needed to change membership I think I'd join a club 12 miles away from me and not much more. I'd hate to have to travel for 45 minutes to get a knock about. A match is different.

Lets hear how far from and how far would you travel?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
How far DO I travel? The range I use is 3mins by car from work and 5mins from home. The club I am joining is 5mins from both work & home.

The conclusion of this is that I am a lucky b@stard.

For club membership I would be prepared to do upto 20mins or so.

I am the same as clubchamp, there is no way I would spend 45mins or more in the car for a casual game unless it were a visit to somewhere special, a comp (hopefully one day) or a GM meet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have an 8 minute trip to the golf club from home, but more importantly, it is only 1/2 hour from work. For those evening bounce games, when there is limited daylight, it is more important to be able to get to the course from work than it is from home.
1/2 hour is about the maximum I would drive to my regular course. This does not equate to miles, as from work to the club is only 14 miles, but because I live inside the M25, that could be 20 minutes (best ever but a bit illegal), or 3 hours (worst yet).

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anything up to an hour and a half drive for me if i'm unlucky. The first hour of that will just be getting out of London ( I live smack bang in the middle)and then 20-30 mis from there.

On a good run I might do it in an hour and 10 minutes.

Why the hell didn't I take up knitting instead ?:D

Ronnoc1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
at the mo i have to drive for a full 8 mins but we are due to have a new club house which will mean a drive of 3-4 mins or if in a green mood a walk of 15 mins maybe after one to many i may use the green option for the walk home!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
You go by taxi parmo?

Blimey you northerners have too much money, beer must be cheap up there :p

A 3mile taxi fare on my manor is £8ish during the day!

I dont drive so every time I play (if I go with step son we split the fair) its £10, if to the private course with a decent range its £15, so my green fee's are double with the getting to and from problem. Once I get my new irons, bag and 3 wood everything else is towards lessons.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I travel about 15 minutes to my current course and the club I have applied to is about the same distance in the other direction. There is a course nearer (about 3 minutes away) and I use the range there but have been willing to travel a bit further for a quieter course without a tee booking system.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only live 5 miles away form my range but its a 30 minute drive....And £7.50 for 100 balls, Don't you just love London!!

Don't have a regular course but usually travel anything within an hour.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club is 7-8 minutes away. Could've joined a better (course) club (15 minutes) or a really top club (or two) 25 minutes.

Happy to be close....more chances for popping down for a few holes or turning up and enjoying some short-game practice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm about 8 miles from my course (about 15 minutes on the back roads) I have a pay and play only 5 minutes away but I don't like the course and only use the range for lessons (the pro has moved so not going to be using it at all - the only thing its good for is the putting green to chip and putt on)

There is another pay and play about 10 minutes across town which is a great track spoilt by the dross they let on. It has a good range attached where I practice.

Of the other private clubs nearby Mill ride is about 10 minutes away (society and corporate whore hole - not club feeling), Wentworth is about 20 minutes (not much chance of joining there) and so the only two would be Windlsham (wet in the winter but good practice facilities) or Sand Martins in Wokingham (a good 25-30 minute drive) but a nice track and they seem friendly when we paly in club matches.

Looks like its Royal Ascot or bust really. There really is no place like home