How does your Club process Regular Club 'Q' Competitions?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We use option A although the men use option B

We have a signing in sheet and then cards are placed in a box when the round is completed. We normally have between 20 and 40 playing in our weekly comps. It usually takes 20 to 40 minutes to input the cards, one person reads out the scores and another enters them.

It works well due to relatively low numbers. We also have 8 or 9 comps at the weekend as well as the weekly ones but there are not as well supported, so one person can easily handle the cards for these.

I would also add that returned cards are checked against the start sheets so if there are any missing they are recorded as NRs.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
At our club it’s a fairly simple process as, being a small club, we only have 30ish players in Sunday comps and 40/50 in midweek comps. Cards are collected as players finish the round and are processed and results posted within a couple of hours. We have considered using PSI but decided that we could cope with the number of scorecards involved and, at the same time, exercise full control of ensuring all competitors returning scorecards - we know who went out and we expect a card from all of them.

All cards are initially checked for the basic requirements for correct handicap and marker/player signatures – easy to do with our numbers but much more of a job with larger numbers. One of my concerns over the use of PSI is that, if only winning cards have these checks, someone could well bumble along not bothering with the basic requirements and only finds out the hard way when he has a good card and finds that he is DQ’d for no/wrong handicap or unsigned card. It’s better to find out you’ve boobed when you’ve had a poor round – lesson learnt for when you have a good one.

Live leaderboards seem a nice idea for the big occasion but I’m not a fan for ordinary comps.

Last edited:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Club presently processes Club Comps by A, below & has 3 Q Comps week with a field of approx 70 players at a weekend & considering using a Club-house 'Live Leader Board'.

I'm interested to know how other Clubs do this...

A. - Completed card goes straight in Comp Box for H/Cap team to process.

B. - Players enter own scores at Club Computer terminal, then card in Comp Box

Also Keen to know....

C. - How many, approx, enter a typical week-end Comp?

D. - Do you have a 'Live Leader Board' in the Club-House or on-line? Opinions on this, please.

And H/Cap team folk, please....

E. - What's your policy/strategy on checking the B process, cards?...

F. - What's the major problems/pitfalls with the process?

G. - In main season, how many Q Comps a week do you have?

All contributions welcome.... Thanks :thup:

competitors enter their scores into the PC
upto 72 for saturday competitions
no for option D

I believe the cards are scrutinized by the competition secretary,

only 2 or 3 qualifiers per month, no mid week comps

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers mate...... yes, some of ours have concerns that a Leader-board may put folk off entering.... however I wonder if anyone knows of a Club, other than mine, that still operate, the time consuming, system 'A'

We do in a way.

For Sunday comps which are pre-entered and drawn, cards go directly to a nominated committee member who will process cards immediately as they come in (usually this person is someone who has played in the comp and has finished their round....if they have to get away then we can always find a replacement, possibly from someone later in the field). Results are published immediately the competition is complete.

For midweek comps where players just turn up and enter (and can enter at a time that means they don't finish until dusk) then the cards get processed the following day.

We did once try to let members enter their own scores....we started off with the Seniors....it was a disaster as they just entered their stableford points where their gross score should have gone. We tried to provide clearer instructions...but they still failed to grasp the process. In the end it was easier to keep process A than to try to correct the mistakes.

Typical weekend comp field will be from 70-90. Midweek field from 45-70.

In the summer pretty much a comp (open to all....men and ladies, old and young) every Sunday, a midweek comp one Thursday in 4. Other seniors comps on some Tuesdays, Ladies only comps on a couple of Thursdays each month.