How do you vent? Garcia Style or....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I see he had to putt with assorted woods & irons after damaging his putter on a sprinkler head cover when slamming it down in frustration after a poor putt (changing its playing characteristics)

Got me thinking about what I do (especially on woefully under-hit putts) and it tends to be a swing of the club like there's an imaginary ball getting hit into the nearest water hazard on the fly

What do you do?

and for fun:
does it matter where your FC's stand
why do we never see vblog tutorials on these techniques

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I value my equipment and our golf course way too highly to damage it by throwing or slamming clubs. Besides, if I were to damage a golf club after every (really) bad shot I hit, I doubt there were any clubs left on this planet. It is way too common an occurence to wast much energy on it. I normally curse a bit, have a few harsh words with myself and at the absolute max might put the club back into the bag with a bit more force than neccessary. I'm a realist. I know it's my fault, not my club's (or the ball's or my playing partners' or ...). So I don't want to do damage to the culprit (me), because even though I suck at golf, I kind of like myself otherwise.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have never gotten the rats doh dahs with putting, I have however changed the playing characteristics of a few irons, one went to nest in a tree as well

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually with a very big laugh, occasionally with some sort of expletive coupled with the word game.

However I play for fun and not to earn a living.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I vent internally, never externally. I rarely let it really get to me, just on the odd occasion and then I need to have a few seconds of internal anger without speaking before I return to normal. I don't get club bashers, it seems more for show than anything else.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I vent internally, never externally. I rarely let it really get to me, just on the odd occasion and then I need to have a few seconds of internal anger without speaking before I return to normal. I don't get club bashers, it seems more for show than anything else.

Believe me the millisecond after I have gone past the point of no return I am regretting it, unfortunately that doesn't stop me doing it.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Changed tack a bit last weekend. Frustration got the better after a lay up off the tee went horribly wrong and I put my third shot into a hedge with a ditch in front of it. Put the club away, turned the speed up to 9 on the trolley and pushed the whole lot into the hedge/ditch. Took me a few minutes to clean it up afterwards but I felt a lot calmer and did well to scramble a 7 as it was a medal round.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always try to stay cool and don't like to show signs of weakness (even when I'm seething inside)

Only once have I lost it and launched my putter. It was on the 7th green

Partly out of frustration about the state of the greens but mostly my inability to adapt (3rd 3-putt of the day after decent approach play)

I was embarrased and immediately apologised to PP's

However it was a great release (of tension not release of the club :rofl: )

IIRC I finished the rest of the round well

Go figure

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Changed tack a bit last weekend. Frustration got the better after a lay up off the tee went horribly wrong and I put my third shot into a hedge with a ditch in front of it. Put the club away, turned the speed up to 9 on the trolley and pushed the whole lot into the hedge/ditch. Took me a few minutes to clean it up afterwards but I felt a lot calmer and did well to scramble a 7 as it was a medal round.

Ha, this one sounds like it would've been good to see :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I could ever snap or break a club, I don't have the funds to keep replacing them! Worst I've done with my current set was try and hit my golf bag with the 5 iron after topping one into a ditch, but accidentally hit the handle of the trolley, putting a small dent in the shaft. Luckily didn't actually bend it though so I don't think it makes any difference to how it plays - I was still gutted when I realised I'd dented it though. Felt like a right fool.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think I could ever snap or break a club, I don't have the funds to keep replacing them! Worst I've done with my current set was try and hit my golf bag with the 5 iron after topping one into a ditch, but accidentally hit the handle of the trolley, putting a small dent in the shaft. Luckily didn't actually bend it though so I don't think it makes any difference to how it plays - I was still gutted when I realised I'd dented it though. Felt like a right fool.

I have a mate how took a swing at his bag with his 7 iron after duffing an approach. All seemed well until the next tee when he took his backswing with his three wood, only to find the shaft break in two at the top of the swing. To compound the misery, he had borrowed my old driver for a go and when he went to use it next he tried to lift it up by the headcover and found that he was left holding only the head as the rest of the shaft was still in the bag. Expensive temper :rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a mate how took a swing at his bag with his 7 iron after duffing an approach. All seemed well until the next tee when he took his backswing with his three wood, only to find the shaft break in two at the top of the swing. To compound the misery, he had borrowed my old driver for a go and when he went to use it next he tried to lift it up by the headcover and found that he was left holding only the head as the rest of the shaft was still in the bag. Expensive temper :rofl:
I can't remember if I read it on here or someone told me in person, but I recall a story from somebody about how he smashed his bag with the club in anger, and ended up accidentally smashing his phone screen to pieces, as it was in one of the golf bag pockets. :D

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Played with a guy years ago a 2 hcp who threw his putter at the buggy we were using resulting in breaking the perspex screen of the buggy and bending the shaft of his putter.He tried to use his 3 wood to putt but fed up with this he drove the (damaged) buggy to the pro shop and borrowed a putter :),which he went on to use badly...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
After kicking my bag and trolley into a pond, back in '82, and walking off only to have to then go and get my car keys and wallet I am cured! I think the applause from the clubhouse balcony helped...

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
After kicking my bag and trolley into a pond, back in '82, and walking off only to have to then go and get my car keys and wallet I am cured! I think the applause from the clubhouse balcony helped...

Brian

I do hope that once the keys and wallet were retrieved the clubs and trolley went swimming again ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Brian

I do hope that once the keys and wallet were retrieved the clubs and trolley went swimming again ?

No, but they went to the back of the garage for 3 months. I'd developed the most horrendous slice, which neither lessons nor range time could cure. On said day of their swimming lesson I'd laid up short of the pond, then sliced 3 balls into it.

Weird thing; on my return to the game there was little sign of the slice, just the usual gentle fade...

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very rarely get frustrated to the point of anger. But if I do I normally just break a few tees and put them back in the bag. Don't have the money to go swinging clubs at my bag or trees etc.